Helo maxx rims 8 0r 9 " - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,351, Level: 20 Points: 1,351, Level: 20 Points: 1,351, Level: 20
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Helo maxx rims 8 0r 9 "

I am going to spring for new wheels and tires in the comeing weeks.I just want to get it right the first time correct,so i am doing a little homework first.I think i am sold on the Helo maxx 6 wheels,that are on the XK on the rock krawler site.I have the identical XK and really like the looks of it with those wheels.I just need some opinions on the situation.I cant make my mind up if I want the 8 or 9 inch wide rims.I read some guys complaining about the 9 inch.The Rock krawler site says they are using 17 x9 wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace.It doesnt mention the offset.I plan on running either 265/70/17 or 255/75/17.Does anyone know is there gonna be rubbing involved with this application?I do want a widder stance than I have.Does anyone know where my tire will fall in relation to the fender flares?I wonder how these wheels will look with a all terrain tire instead of a mudderThanks .I appreciate the help.Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rock krawler XK.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	4196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxx6Black.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	4197  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

With the tires you want both sizes should fit on either rim. A 1 inch difference in rim size shouldn't be drastic enough for a 10"ish wide tire. The stock rim width for the 17s is 7.5" and I have 265/70/17 tires. They would likewise fit on the 8 or 9 inch rim.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I am concerned the 9"wheels might make the tires stick too far out(im not sure),in relation to the fender flare.I was wandering if I ran 9"am i prone to a greater chance of rubbing.Does anyone know what the perfect offset would be.I forgot to mention i have a RR 2.25"lift.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I am concerned the 9"wheels might make the tires stick too far out(im not sure),in relation to the fender flare.I was wandering if I ran 9"am i prone to a greater chance of rubbing.Does anyone know what the perfect offset would be.I forgot to mention i have a RR 2.25"lift.
The top of the tire's width (Tread area) will not change only where the tire is held on to the rim. If you see some guys with wider tires on thinner rims the rim looks stuffed inside the tire and the tire baloons out from the rim almost protecting the rim from hitting rocks and obstacles. The tread area is going to remain the same width no matter what(granted if you air down it will bulge more).

Backspacing differences, or wider/taller tires is what will make the tire come closer to the fender not the difference in rim width on the same size tire.

So the only difference should be how you want the tire to look on the rim. Do you want a more vertical side wall with the wider rim or the more ballooned look from a skinnier rim.

If you were getting a 12" wide tire or something larger then you would have to get wider rims to accomodate the tire. Since you're only thinking about those two sizes (not really too many choices anyway for the XK) either will work.

For Backspacing: 5.5-4.5 inch sould work fine. Stock backspace(6") will rub the sway bar a bit on some tires.

Anyone else got a comment on this?

Last edited by superacerc; 11-18-2010 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

My rims are 17x9 with 4.5 backspacing with 265/70 MTR w/ kevlar. RC lift. No rubbing after pinch weld bent back and remolded wheel wells. Rubbing is so bad without doing this my shop wouldnt install tires without doing it.

255 is not recommended for 9" wheels I was told. 265 is even pushing it technically I have heard. I would go with 8 to keep more future tire options open.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

On a 9" wide wheel, you are going to want to stay close to factory BS( 6"). Reason being, the tire will rub when hard cornering or at full lock if it sticks out (past the fender) too much.

PM 07JeepXK for info on wheels, he seems to know his stuff with wheels. Maybe if he sees this thread he will chime in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help.If i get the 17x8 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing does this mean the wheel would roughly stick out 2" more than the factory wheels?I was thinking this cause the factory wheels have 6" of backspacing.With 4.5" of backspacing I would think this would bring the wheel out 1.5" plus the extra 1/2"in wheel width.Correct me if Im wrong(probably am).I want a wider stance,I just want to make sure it dont stick out too far or in too much(like the factory setup).

Last edited by painter; 11-19-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in