Wider not Taller... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wider not Taller...

I don't know **** about tires and wheels and i have stopped in a local Les Swhab dealer and really haven't been helped out much in to seperate visits. I found this forum and am hoping i can get some great feedback.

I bought the wife a brand new one. I really love the look but the only thing is i don't care for how narrow the apperance is. So i would really like to put on some wide tires i mean going wide not just a couple of inches. She is very petite and packs around 3 kids in and out of it so i really don't want to go any higher than i have to. I was thinking i would have to at least put a 2" lift on for sure but don't know (and of course throwing on some type of step/bar for the kids)

If anybody could give me a few suggestions, pointers or comments i would love to hear them.

As you can tell i need suggestions from start to finish like what kind of lift i should be looking at doing and should i just have a local tire shop do it or where should one go for that. I am excited to have this jeep and am really looking forward to dumping some more money in it and customize it. Since i bought it i have already dumped 3k into it and i haven't even owned it for a month now... still driving around with the dealership paper license plate in the window.

Thanks Again for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The sticky, found in the tire and wheel section, written and researched by 07JeepXK, will prove helpful.
The small wheelwells (there is a reason for those BTW) create a number of stumbling blocks when a taller tire is fitted.
The upper ball joint, due to its reversed position (stud towards outside) becomes the troublemaker when a wider tire is fitted.
Often, a spacer (to move the wheel outward) is applied but then, because the centerline of the tire has been moved outward, the tire ends up contacting the rear of the inner fender at full lock.
As you read on, you will find some have had some success with minor backspacing changes that came with aftermarket wheels.......memory is weak this morning but there was a specific brand that is available.
Adding to the misery is the fact a smaller diameter wheel won't fit due to the large diameter front brakes and the caliper interferes.

All the bad news aside, it appears that if a wheel spacer, in the 1.25 or 1.50 range, used with the stock tire size, on stock backspaced rims, or the aftermarket rim that I can't remember the name of, again used with the original size tire, may give you the wider stance I suspect you are looking for.

So, get a cup of coffee and search around awile.....let us know what you like.

Welcome to the forum that helps your money talk......it says 'Bye-Bye.

Rob
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Robby is right ,,, and I would like to add some pics to visualize some points which Robby mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
The upper ball joint, due to its reversed position (stud towards outside) becomes the troublemaker when a wider tire is fitted.
Often, a spacer (to move the wheel outward) is applied
265/65/17 tire without spacer..

Quote:
Often, a spacer (to move the wheel outward) is applied but then, because the centerline of the tire has been moved outward, the tire ends up contacting the rear of the inner fender at full lock.
265/65/17 tire without spacer ,, notice the close wheel well

Quote:
it appears that if a wheel spacer, in the 1.25 or 1.50 range, used with the stock tire size, on stock backspaced rims, or the aftermarket rim that I can't remember the name of, again used with the original size tire, may give you the wider stance I suspect you are looking for.
About the above statement .. here is how it looks when using 1.5" spacers with stock tires and stock suspension ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
What I suggest is to use 1.5" wheel spacers and wider tire ,, maybe 255/60/17 (if you have 17" rims!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

P255/65R17 (one size larger than stock - +1/2" diameter, +1/2" wider), 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, 0 rub issues. Be aware that larger tires will throw off your speedometer and MPG reading - there are a limited number of sizes of tires the dealer can program for you, although I think there are aftermarket ways to calibrate tires.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Yeah, just get the EGR module from AEV. You can dial in any wheel size via the OBDII port for speedo correction. You can also set the side view mirrors to auto tilt when in reverse if you have memory seats.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

i never seen so many pictures in one short little thread with rear fog lights. I really need to hurry up and read that sticky.

I was trying to find a pic of my jeep to show the wider stance but dont really have much head on. sorry. But wider is definitely better and u only need an inch or inch and a half max on each wheel. little bit makes huge differences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Tags
tire/wheel idiot , wide-tires , wider not taller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in