stock size MTs or aggressive ATs? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,500, Level: 21 Points: 1,500, Level: 21 Points: 1,500, Level: 21
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

stock size MTs or aggressive ATs?

i searched around a little bit but didnt find what i was looking for. i'm debating whether lifting my jeep and adding larger diameter tires is all that necessary for my needs. does anyone have pics of their commander sitting at stock height with stock size MT tires? or aggressive treaded ATs like the duratracs? being that i live in the desert and it's all fairly flat here, i haven't had a need for additional clearance yet (i dont rock crawl my beloved XK). i know it looks great lifted with larger tires, just not sure if that look is worth the additional gas mileage or wear and tear on suspension components. maybe it'll look just a slick at the stock height with more aggressive rubber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Not exactly what you were looking for but in my stock photo those are Goodyear WRANGLER (opposed to fortera) SilentArmors, the all-terrain before duratracs came out. No difference in appearance until looking really close up. With only 150 dollars you can have the other look!! Just kidding but close. If u are already in the market for tires get the 2" spacer because handling, gas mileage, mechanical wear and tear does not change much at all and you have the look you really want.

Last edited by USMCMP; 12-27-2010 at 01:54 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMP View Post
If u are already in the market for tires get the 2" spacer because handling, gas mileage, mechanical wear and tear does not change much at all and you have the look you really want.
i don't understand this part, can you elaborate? i'm looking at getting the Cragar Soft 8s with 4.5" backspacing (like redbulljoker69's XK) rather than spidertrax spacers. but the lower MPGs and wear and tear on the suspension i was referring more to having oversized tires. there actually seems to be alot of downfalls to oversized tires:

- lower MPGs
- no room for a matching spare underneath (roof & rear mounts wont work for me)
- more $$ for the lift
- more $$ for speedo calibration (dealer or superchips)

BIG pluses for oversized tires is that they provide more clearance and look great! too bad they didnt come from the factory with more rubber because the stock size looks a bit wimpy really. this is my dilemma. my biggest concern really is drastically lower MPGs. my previous vehicle i got carried away with and ended up with 38" kumhos on 24" monsters with an 11" lift. needless to say my MPGs went from mediocre to horrible. just dont want to make the same costly mistakes with this one lol

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Points: 4,562, Level: 43 Points: 4,562, Level: 43 Points: 4,562, Level: 43

Nice looking ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMP View Post
Not exactly what you were looking for but in my stock photo those are Goodyear WRANGLER (opposed to fortera) SilentArmors, the all-terrain before duratracs came out. No difference in appearance until looking really close up. With only 150 dollars you can have the other look!! Just kidding but close. If u are already in the market for tires get the 2" spacer because handling, gas mileage, mechanical wear and tear does not change much at all and you have the look you really want.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM

My point being it does not look any different at stock height with more aggressive rubber like you asked. What I was also trying to say is that the most expensive part of my mods were my 4 tires. If you are buying tires then throwing a $150 lift on cost wise is not very much. Nothing really has been reported as far as wear and tear being more with the lift. The only change is in MPG which I personally think is impacted more by your tread pattern rather then tire size because we are only talking about going up maybe an inch or 2. Everyone on here it seems reports around 14 with thousands of different setups. Some get quite a few more and some get a couple less.

Evil1, Thanks, I appreciate it, I try to post pics wherever I can.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks. i guess im trying to decide whether going up in tire size is worth it or not. i've seen pics of a49erfan's jeep lifted 2" with stock tires and it looked good to me. and like you said it's only an inch or two, so not sure it's worth it for me i guess. a wider stance is a definite (aftermarket wheels, i'm not a fan of spacers), and the more i look at them the more i'm making a 2" lift a must-have as well. some gy wranglers, falken rocky mountains, or gy duratracs are also a definite, just undecided about the larger diameter. judging from your two photos, the lift and the aggressive tread pattern is what makes the look, not so much the size of the tire. i guess that fills my curiosity about diameter differences though. btw, the pic in your signature = badass!!! that looks so fun!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

2 inch lifts are extremely cheap. If your already buying tires, throw the lift on as well. Also, if you dont want the huge over sized tires and bad mpg, just get a 245/70R17. Its a little taller then the stock tire size and really wont make that big of a difference on mpg or the speedo.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Points: 4,562, Level: 43 Points: 4,562, Level: 43 Points: 4,562, Level: 43

Just ordered the GY W silent armors in 245/75/17 I am pumped to see the difference but now got the itch for a little lift!!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:19 AM

It is definitely the lift and the tires that make the look. I have a ton more pics on my profile page. My wheels are also 4.5 backspacing to widen the stance just like you are talking about doing.

I get compliments all the time and my Jeep is 5 years old with almost 100,000 miles. The GY Wranglers were great off road but as you can tell by the first pic they didnt change the look at all and nobody noticed them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I think adding the back space is just as important of a mod for the look. I always look at mine like something is missing and its getting those tires pushed out to complete the look. Really if you take any one of the three mods out (lift,tires,spacers/wheels) you might not get the look you were expecting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in