Need some tire advice - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,221, Level: 19 Points: 1,221, Level: 19 Points: 1,221, Level: 19
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need some tire advice

I will be lifting my Jeep 2" soon and want to upgrade to 245/75/17's using the stock rims w/o spacers. What in your opinion is the best overall AT tire with good tread wear. The Jeep will mainly be used on the pavement but occasionally it will see the dirt. Also it needs to work good in the snow.

07 Jeep Commander 3.7L QT1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Points: 11,543, Level: 70 Points: 11,543, Level: 70 Points: 11,543, Level: 70
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
BFG TA KO, Michelin LTX AT2 or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. All three of these would be perfect for what you are looking for.

If you want to go more aggressive than that look at the Goodyear Duratrac. You'll give up a little life but you'll gain in off-road and Winter performance.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Points: 1,855, Level: 25 Points: 1,855, Level: 25 Points: 1,855, Level: 25
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I've been loving my Goodyear Silent Armors, and they are sever snow and ice rated.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Points: 2,422, Level: 29 Points: 2,422, Level: 29 Points: 2,422, Level: 29
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

I love my Goodyear Duratracs in 245/75/17. They are not as noisy as they look, and they look very mean. I have never gotten so many good comments about the looks of my commander until I put the duratracs on. Reading the reviews on tirerack.com, as long as you rotate them, they last a lot longer than you would think. They are highly rated for the snow.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Stone White. 2" RC lift with Robby's spacers. Goodyear Duratracs 245/75/17. Magnaflow catback exhaust. AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

+10^2 BFG AT TA KOs

Use the Rocky Road 2.25" lift and run 265/65/17s

Just did this and it runs great. Had these on all my past trucks. Great tire! Some ppl complain about the road noise, but I like it. Sounds more like a truck is supposed to sound. And snow.. let me put it to you this way... you will go through anything unless you get hung up on a massive snow drift. It won't be the tires that stop you when you have bfg at ta's on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,221, Level: 19 Points: 1,221, Level: 19 Points: 1,221, Level: 19
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee View Post
+10^2 BFG AT TA KOs

Use the Rocky Road 2.25" lift and run 265/65/17s

Just did this and it runs great. Had these on all my past trucks. Great tire! Some ppl complain about the road noise, but I like it. Sounds more like a truck is supposed to sound. And snow.. let me put it to you this way... you will go through anything unless you get hung up on a massive snow drift. It won't be the tires that stop you when you have bfg at ta's on.
I saw your post they look good but a little to close to the upper ball joint for my comfort.

07 Jeep Commander 3.7L QT1
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Ball joint stud was what I was worried about, too. But I had them test mounted and it cleared. That distance will never change - the tire and the stud move as one basically. I have been driving it now for a few days and there is no rubbing at all on that stud. No marks on the inner sidewall or inner tread lugs. I've been watching - trust me! I'm very confident now that there will be no issues there at all. Plus there are other guys on this forum who run their tires that close to the stud... not sure who, but I know i've seen pics here with about 1/4" clearance and reports of no problems at all.

Good luck with whatever you choose! BTW - Goodyear Wrangler silent armors were my second choice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Send a message via MSN to crazyforjeeps Send a message via Skype™ to crazyforjeeps
Guys, Guys, Guys,,, don't forget that engineers leave space around tire to the wheel-well so that snow chains can be installed and not affect the components. Depending on the type of chains you may want to use (I personally like the heavy thick chain type), you will be needing that extra space around the tire. I am moving up in size tire and keeping my stock wheel, and according to my research a 285/70R17 will be the maximum size you can fit without any lift or wheel offset. For that matter I will still install a two 3.5 in lift in the front and 2 in in the rear with an 1.5 in offset spacer so that I know that the space will be more than enough for when I use the chains. The tires I picked for my 5.7 Hemi 4x4 are the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX. Good luck and let me know how it goes with your project. I will start my project in two weeks.

Happy Trails....

R/
George
SOCAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in