My new shoes and rubbing issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
My new shoes and rubbing issue

Got new tires for the Commander ,,, Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 275/65/17

Its bigger than my previous one (MasterCraft 265/65/17) but I rather forced to buy it due to lack of good 17" all terrain tires around here.

Ratings are very good as Treadware is 460, Traction A and Temperature A

also the load and speed rating is good for such tires as 115 H .. which can handle speed up 130 MPH

side by side with my previous MasterCraft tire (the tire is rather new cause it had a non repairable puncture on the sidewall)

Pics mounted on the Commander .. the first noticeable difference was the sound as this is much quieter than the previous one and it gave around 0.6" of lift

Now I have some rubbing issue as you can see in the photos ,, and I would appreciate your support for ideas and ways to minimize it

Right tire ..

Closer pic

left tire ..

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ahmed; 01-02-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

How's the alignment look? Wondering if the LCA could be pushed out further at the rear mount- that may help with the left tire hitting the fender.

As for the other rubbing, the pinch weld mod will help that. Here's how i did mine:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ot-How-To-quot

-Matt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Ahmed,
Did you try them without the wheel spacers?

Maybe no spacers and trimming the upper ball joint stud will do the trick.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
How's the alignment look? Wondering if the LCA could be pushed out further at the rear mount- that may help with the left tire hitting the fender.

As for the other rubbing, the pinch weld mod will help that. Here's how i did mine:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ot-How-To-quot
The LCA rear mount move sideways ,, so I don't think it will help and moving it will impact the alignment

but I think I should flow your pinch weld mod to get clearance at the back and adjust the front bumper as its pushed in due to hitting sand dunes

I wonder what tire size you have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Ahmed,
Did you try them without the wheel spacers?

Maybe no spacers and trimming the upper ball joint stud will do the trick.

Rob
Hi Rob, I just did it and removed the spacers ,, the rubbing is gone totally .. since I had some metal wires pulling the wheel well to the back and front already in place since a year.

Its not very close to the upper ball joint bolt either ,, I mean not close enough to trim the bolt. see the photo

But in fact I don't like the look of the Commander without the spacers ,, kinda used to it and like it. so I think I will go for the pinch weld mod and adjust the front bumper before I put the spacers back on ... what do you think?

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Ahmed, I love the look with the spacers myself.......they just cause so many issues related to clearance.
Your stud clearance is just fine.......leave the spacers off a few days and see if you get used to the appearance.

Happy New Year!

Rob

BTW.....That looks like a GREAT sand tire.....The tread on the previous tire looked like it would have a tendency to dig and you need a bit more 'float'

|
|

Last edited by robby; 01-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Ahmed, I love the look with the spacers myself.......they just cause so many issues related to clearance.
Your stud clearance is just fine.......leave the spacers off a few days and see if you get used to the appearance.

Happy New Year!

Rob
Happy new year to you too

I'm not sure if I will get used to it !! ,, I would rather pair the loss of selling these tires and look for previous size 265/65/17 with the spacers.

Quote:
BTW.....That looks like a GREAT sand tire.....The tread on the previous tire looked like it would have a tendency to dig and you need a bit more 'float'
You are correct about the previous tire tendency to dig in sand, but that is only in case of stuck and losing momentum, but I learned when I should take of my foot of the gas and start crawling slowly to prevent total stuck, otherwise it floats very well and gives good traction on sand.

The good thing about the previous tire is its wide tread width which matches those of 285 ones and that helps in floating ... although the new tire is wider in section width its actually little narrower in tread width!

but I agree with you that the tread pattern is rather better for sand ,, at least I can hope so until I test it

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

4WD
This how it looks without the spacer ,,, way much better from clearance point of view

these photos are at the same angle in my photos above with spacers.

and this is how the Commander looks without the spacers ,,,,,,,,,,,, not wild as used to be !!!

Side pics

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 AM

That tire size really fills the wheelwell!

Almost looks like it has no lift from the side photo......them are big-uns.
It always startles me to see how a spacer eats up wheelwell clearance.....your photos with the wheels turned are dramatic proof.

Although I have never operated a vehicle on the fine sand that you do (ours is rather course....yours is almost powder) I suspect it tends to suck you in if there is any tire spin so you have to try to maintain a rather fine balance between width and tread design.
I contend a aggressive tire, more oriented to mud would just bury itself on your surface.

As always, great photos Ahmed!

Rob

|
|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Maybe try 1" spacers... get some of the wider look back but won't have as much of an issue with clearance.

-Matt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Time to break out the heat gun and BFH and bend the pinch weld and reshape the liner. IMO it looks way better with the spacers, plus the added track width would seem to be good for you.

2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates

2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Muds, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front Guard & Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Bilstein 5150 Rear shocks, Robby's front leveling spacer, Pinch weld mod and trimming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in