SRT 20s Plus Mopar Lowering Springs -- Rub or No? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question SRT 20s Plus Mopar Lowering Springs -- Rub or No?

I just bought a 2010 Commander Sport/Hemi/2WD with stock 17-inch wheels. This is gonna be a highway cruiser. I have ordered the Mopar Lowering Springs (supposedly minus .75" front/1.5" rear) for a more level appearance. I would like to add the 9" and 10" SRT wheels (repop b/c originals are stupid expensive) and associated tires but I also wanna fill my wheel wells up as much as possible for that hunkered look. The tires are gonna be low profile...hence I thought I could still do the drop. I saw some pics on here of a car from VA that had the SRT wheels but no mention of exact tire size (looked like correct Eagle RS-A) or whether it was lowered (didn't seem so). Do you think this will work? To me the issue is likely more to do with rubbing around the lower part of the wheel well arch rather than bottoming out on top. If this recipe is off the mark then I prefer the lower/even look for my particular use so the SRT wheel/tire mod will have to go...maybe I can still do 18s. Thanks from a Commander Newbie.

2010 Commander Hemi Sport 2WD; 2004 Lotus Esprit V-8 Final Edition; 1974 Jaguar E-Type V-12 Roadster; 1971 Hemi Cuda Vert; 1969 Shelby GT500; 1959 El Camino Tri-Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

rubbing...

I'm running 20" wheels and 265/50/20 terra grapplers without a lift and i dont have ANY rubbing so you should be in the clear, but lowering your Jeep? I bet you'll definately get rubbing. Like you said maybe 18" wheels???

07 Jeep Commander 3.7 4x4

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o))__(o))_(o))___"Only In A Jeep"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Points: 1,339, Level: 20 Points: 1,339, Level: 20 Points: 1,339, Level: 20
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

what offset r u running on the 20's?? looking at some 20's for my Startech kitted commander as its on the standard 17's. In the UK and can only really see some Wolfrace 20's with 45mm offset.

Cheers,

Damien.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Mopar No Front Drop

Well. I installed the Mopar drop springs on stock tires and wheels. Measured before and after. Rear gap from top of stock tire to top molding dropped 1.5" as advertised. Front did not drop at all...3 3/8" before and same after. Maybe the front springs will "settle in" and "drop with wear" .. fogetaboutit...front will not drop. So the look is "even" front to back. Nice, but I wanted more drop. Now I gotta think...tire height/width...do I go to 18' rim? I'm gonna close the gap and fill the wheel well without rubbing...period. I'll let you know. If you have ideas, let ME know.

2010 Commander Hemi Sport 2WD; 2004 Lotus Esprit V-8 Final Edition; 1974 Jaguar E-Type V-12 Roadster; 1971 Hemi Cuda Vert; 1969 Shelby GT500; 1959 El Camino Tri-Power
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Points: 1,339, Level: 20 Points: 1,339, Level: 20 Points: 1,339, Level: 20
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

yeah thet'll settle maybe another 1/4" once the springs are bed in. Gonna put 20's on mine too but no drop. just don't want to stray too much from the standard offset and upset the handling of the car. found some nice Wolfrace RR's with a 45 and 35mm offsets in 8.5 and 9.5 widths.............really hard to get suitable wheels here in the UK!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in