Wheel/Tire/Lift Advice - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wheel/Tire/Lift Advice

Hello!! I am new to the forum and would like to get some sound advice on some tire and lift modifications. I was considering selling my stock 2008 Commander Sport but love it too much to let it go. Instead I have decided to give it a fresh new look and this is where I could use some guidance.
I would like to get a set of 17x8.5 **** Cepek Torque Wheels in Gun Metal
Bolt Pattern: 5x127
Backspace: 5.0
Offset: +6
I would like to pair these with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT265/70R17

I would also like to lift my Commander anywhere from 2” to 2 ¼” that I have seen in this forum.
I’d rather not have to get new shocks.

Also, will wheel spacers be necessary? If so, how much of a spacer will I need? I have read that these are not advised if at all possible. I might occasionally do some minor off-road but nothing crazy aggressive and this will be my daily driver.

Honestly, all of these offsets and sizes are very confusing to me and everyone that I have spoken to just seems to confuse me more. I’d really like to get this right for ME. I am hesitant to take this to a Jeep shop only because (as much as I hate to say it) I am a “confused female” with all this and am worried they’ll be more concerned about taking my money than making my Commander look like I want it to look. With that said, that is why I am here. With the hopes that you all will steer me right with sound advice. I hope that I have given enough information for you to help me.

~Jeep Gal~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Points: 11,543, Level: 70 Points: 11,543, Level: 70 Points: 11,543, Level: 70
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Hello Jeep Gal,

I'll try to help. Hopefully without confusing you more.

Wheels and tires seem so simple but, as you have found, when you get down to it, they can easily be confusing.

For your 2008 Commander... Ideally, if you want to fit a 265/70R17 under there we would recommend choosing a wheel that is 8.5" wide with an 18-25mm offset. This will place the wheel relatively flush with your fenders and will help keep your tires located in the deepest part of your fenders (picture them as bowl shaped).

With a 2-2.25" lift, and a wheel with the specs above you should be able to run the 265/70R17 with little to no modifications. Assuming you choose an alloy wheel you shouldn't need any wheel spacers either.

The wheel you are considering may also work with the tire and lift that you want to install but your chances of needing additional modifications like fender liner trimming and the pinch weld mod are more likely. The offset is lower and this will set the wheel and tire out further away from the vehicle (basically locating them in a shallower area of your fenders). a 17x8.5 with a +6mm offset will stick out beyond the fenders by about 1/2" (not counting the tire)

Last edited by Discount Tire; 07-16-2013 at 09:04 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Thank you very much! I'm nowhere near an expert yet but have learned so much during this process. It's one of those things that make such a big impact and I really want to get it right! I cant wait to get this done!

Thanks again!

~Jeep Gal~

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 PM

2WD
Glad we could help. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Send a message via AIM to Emsjeep2310
i have a 2006 wat is a good size with out haveing to lift it its bin puzzleing me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM

2WD
^ We need more info Emsjeep3210 but we'd be happy to make some recommendations.

Are you looking for a new tire size, wheel size or both?

If you are wanting to run a new tire size on the wheels you have now, what size are your wheels?

In general, if you are not planning on lifting your Commander you can usually install a new tire that us up to 1" taller in overall diameter with little to no modifications.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Points: 3,291, Level: 35 Points: 3,291, Level: 35 Points: 3,291, Level: 35
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 153,000
Just bought an 06 5.7 commander, needs lift and wheels.

Hello everyone. I just joined and this is my first post.

I just put some money down on a 2006 Commander with 95K miles on it. Got it for 14K. Seemed like a good deal, they were asking 19500 for it.

I pick it up Saturday.

The previous owner put very low profile tires and 20" wheels on it. I am a bit of a redneck and can not be seen driving it with those wheels. Plus, my wife (who is also a redneck) sells rural real estate and drives on dirt roads everyday.
I want to order what I need ASAP to minimize the amount of driving I do on these wheels

I have used Old Man Emu stuff back when I was into Land Rovers and loved it.
I want to do the Heavy Duty springs front and rear. I have read a few posts here about them, and they seem like exactly what I need. I will also be towing a 1900 pound empty, and up to 6500 pound loaded trailer. It usually has a tongue weight of about 150 to 200 pounds.

Everywhere I look, all that is out there are the OME medium and light springs. Are the heavy's all gone and not made because the commander is no longer made? If so, what other options do I have?

I want to do the springs, wheels, and tires all at the same time, and soon.

I have found some wheels with 5.5" back spacing. I will probably run some 255/70/17 all terrains. I wont need anything more aggressive, and if I do, I will just drive my 2008 JK Rubicon that is very built. This will be my wifes rig to take clients to rural property, tow our trailer, and to get us over the pass to the other side of Washington in the winter. Don't care about the mileage that much either. Wife has a Mini, and I ride a motorcycle unless there is ice on the road or it is over 100 degrees outside.

I am having a bit of buyers remorse too. I have not picked up the truck yet, but I gave them $500 to hold it for me. Now I am questioning the logic of buying something that is no longer made, and seems to not be well supported. But on the other hand, I love Jeeps and would buy an old Grand Wagoneer if I though an older rig would work for the wife. It won't, and the Commander is the closest thing to one.

So, welcome me to the group by telling me I didn't pay too much, and giving me a clue as to where to get the OME heavy duty springs.

David in Yakima WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in