Decisions to be made - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,603, Level: 23 Points: 1,603, Level: 23 Points: 1,603, Level: 23
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Decisions to be made

I've had this vibration in the front end. Long story short, I've come to find out that one of the wheels is bent, apparently pretty bad. How it happened I have no clue. But I'm thinking this may be my sign/opportunity to do some mods I've been wanting to since I bought the Jeep.

LIFT
I'm looking hard at the Rough Country 2" spacer lift. Can this be installed in the driveway with hand tools? The instructions call for grinding and a strut compressor. I have a grinder but not exactly comfortable with taking it to my Jeep. How does the install on the other kits compare to the Rough Country?
*Side note, I have installed a spacer leveling kit on a 1500 GMC earlier this year, and it was not that difficult, but definitely more so than the directions led you to believe.

WHEELS
I've been over the "new here tire size" thread 100 times. But still have a few questions. I found a used set of 2012 black Wrangler wheels with 255/75r17 BFG mt's. These Wrangler wheels will require spacers regardless of the tire size right? Here's a link to the one's I'm considering http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3955465538.html Anybody have pictures of these black wheels on a Commander?

TIRES
I get the sizes, spacers, rubbing, trimming, etc. from the new here thread. But what's left out is how far are they going to stick out from the fender? I'd really like to keep the even with the fender. No offense to those that have them, but tires sticking way out remind me of the little trucks with tires wider than they are tall haha. I hate that look for a street driven vehicle. So, for starters, if I went with the combo mentioned above, those Wrangler wheels with 255/75r17 BFG muds, how far out from my fenders are they going to be?

Guess I better tell you what vehicle I have. Black 2007 Commander Limited 4.7 Flex with QDII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,603, Level: 23 Points: 1,603, Level: 23 Points: 1,603, Level: 23
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Well, more reading and I see now that the "new" (2-3 years now) Rough Country kit doesn't require grinding anymore. So disregard that question ha.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

The lift install requires disconnecting a lot of suspension parts. It took me several hours to install it, and I couldn't remove the strut to make it easier due to the bolt being seized. I had to remove the UCA's and swing the strut top out, put the spacer on, then use the compressor to get it small enough to push back into place. It was a major pain.

I honestly think the Commander looks dumb with the wheels inside the fender flares. Mine stick out about 1" or so, and I think it looks a lot better. The only thing I can tell you is find the backspacing on those wheels and do the math with a tire/wheel calculator which can be found here on the site comparing it to the stock setup and how far in the tires/wheels are as of now.

Black 2006 3.7 Sport

RC Lift & 2.2 Series Shocks | Hypertech Programmer | General Grabber ATē on Ultra Mavericks | Magnaflow Exhaust | 6000k HIDs | Complete LED conversion | K&N CAI | Stubby antennae | Bull Bar | Chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in