Spacers/Splash Guards before/after - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Spacers/Splash Guards before/after

I got around to putting my lift on at Christmas to make my 245/75/17 tires look more at home on the Overland. I couldn't find any before/after photos of spacers and was on the fence whether I wanted them. So glad I did, so I thought I'd post pics.

I also put the Mopar mud guards on, and found limited information on why they didn't fit the Hemi. I show my minor modification to get them on below.

The problem with the mud flaps on the Hemi is the resonator under the bumper at that area. The interference is minimal, so the mod is too. I simply took a heat gun to the inside corner of the rear passenger guard and reformed it to give extra clearance without cutting it and taking away rigidity. You really can't even tell once installed.

And before/after of the mud guards and especially the SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers!

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Unfortunately, the addition of the SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers introduced a bunch of rubbing where there previously was none--even with the larger tires. After analyzing the situation, I determined the pinch weld mod was not necessary and I didn't want to cut up my splash guard. Here was my simple solution that left me with room to spare!

BTW, I got the spacers from the Spidertrax outlet "cosmetically blemished" section with free shipping for $20 off per pair. I thoroughly inspected them upon receipt and couldn't even find the blemishes, beyond some possibly slightly more apparent milling marks on the aluminum. $160 shipped; I was happy.

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Just remember to keep the maintenance up to date on these spacers. Re torque them every tire rotation. I use to pull them completely off a few times a year and clean everything up put some fresh lock tight on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Very nice! I do like how much better it looks with the mud guards. Thanks for the tip on the Hemi mod to make them fit.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Points: 1,038, Level: 17 Points: 1,038, Level: 17 Points: 1,038, Level: 17
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Looks great and thanks for the heads up on Spidertrax outlet, that's a good deal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL-XK View Post
Just remember to keep the maintenance up to date on these spacers. Re torque them every tire rotation. I use to pull them completely off a few times a year and clean everything up put some fresh lock tight on.
Yep, I've already done the 50 mile re-torque suggestion laid out in the instructions, and will always re-torque them on rotations. I'm still not a huge fan of the idea of wheel spacers, but they look great, and with proper maintenance I have no concerns from a safety and engineering perspective.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
Very nice! I do like how much better it looks with the mud guards. Thanks for the tip on the Hemi mod to make them fit.
Yeah, I really like the mud guards too, especially the front ones. I ended up finding them cheapest on eBay. I believe it was under $80 for the full set of 4.

One thing I didn't mention is that the hardware the guards comes with doesn't directly fit on the Jeep. Some people suggest buying new hardware but it really wasn't necessary. It uses J-nuts that go over the splash guards but the splash guards flare out a bit at the fastener locations. I used some wire snippers to trim the splash guard a hair at each location to get the J nuts properly aligning with the rivet holes. You then tuck the splash guard back behind the flare and never see the trim, and then screw the mud guards on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in