Tire Pressure Sensors - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tire Pressure Sensors

Okay so toady I went to the customizing store I am gonna use for the lift kit, and mods Id like to do to my XK and in the discussion I had with the associate he mentioned that when I look at rims and the size I need and max size tire I can go with 2 inc RC he happen to mention that even with new rims I need to replace tire snesors if I go with new rims and if I keep tires I have or if I decided to get a more agrssive/beefy tire (really any tire) and put those on the new rims they would need new sensors and then dont put any one the old rims (winter set).....like most people do. He said I really dont have to replace sensors I can go without if I can tolerate the error message on dash lol. So I was wondering if any of you have gone this route? .......not putting new sensors in. Otherise I have to put new snesors in late fall with old rims then when spring comes again with the new rims. He said they run about 50$ per tire. Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 AM
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Can a Jeep dealer, or anyone for that matter make the Jeep forget it ever had TPS?

If the feature was removed from the computer, it wouldnt display error message.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Points: 713, Level: 14 Points: 713, Level: 14 Points: 713, Level: 14
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

The system needs to be programed to read the sensors, so I would think there is a way to not have the error show up, the yellow warning error on the upper left of the gauge display. But I doubt there is a way to make the pressure indictor screen go away that indicates the pressure in each tire.

You can run new rims and tires with regular valves. The screen will show an error and tell you to get the TPS system serviced. That's what happened to me. My spare did not have a sensor only a regular valve. The system read that rim as having an issue.

I can also confirm when using new rims and tires with sensors that are not programed to the computer the screen will show blanks in the area that would normally indicate the pressure. My system did not show an error message. It just did not indicate a pressure. I am guessing the system is reading that the sensors are present and functioning so no warning comes up. But it is not receiving a compatible signal to display the pressure.

You could also get new sensors for the second set of rims. I am not sure if you can have them programmed and set them aside or if they would need to be programmed each time you switched?

You can buy used sensors. I'll sell you my old ones all in operable condition $100.00 for the set. My old rims and tires were removed this past Tuesday.

I hope that helps answer your question somewhat?

Last edited by Drcoastline; 03-12-2015 at 06:33 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I'm NOT sure on any of this, I had done a little reading in the past, so take this with a grain of salt.

The internal battery on the sensors last 8 yrs, so if you're going to change tires on a near 8 y.o. car or older, it would save a lot more money in the long run to change the sensors with the tires. (changing sensors require removing/reinstalling and balancing the tires). The battery is NOT changeable, you have to replace the sensor.

Some vehicles require programming to recognize new sensors, some do NOT, and will automatically recognize the new sensor in 10 miles of driving. I "think" the Commander will automatically recognize new sensors, if they are the correct sensors for it.

What complicates this even more is the new aftermarket sensors coming available, and some of them are universal sensors that require programming to mimic the exact sensor for a particular car.

It is my impression, i.e. I'm NOT positive, you can order online specific aftermarket sensors for the Commander (aftermarket will use different valve stems, so get all the parts) far cheaper than tire stores or OEM sensors at the Dealer, and install them. As long as they are the "specific" sensor for Commanders and NOT universal ones, you will NOT need any programming.

Check your state laws and inspection, we can go round and round about if TPMS is required, what it comes down to is if your car will pass inspection without it.

From what little I know about the system, the only way to get the TPMS light to go out without a fully working system, is to go into the dash and remove the light. And I "think" the Commander has LED's soldered into the circuit board for warning lights, meaning you have to do some delicate circuit board surgery. You can remove all the other modules and equipment, that will still light the warning light, you will have stored cores for TPMS problems, because Gateway module will try to talk to the TPMS over the CAN Nework and set a code for NOT seeing it. Since TPMS was mandatory on Commanders, i.e. no option to NOT have it, I highly doubt the vehicle's software was written to be able to reconfigure to NOT have it. I "think" disabling the light physically is your only option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Thanks for the detailed post Mongo. Much appreciated. Give me the good old days of my dad handing me a tire pressure gauge and the lecture of checking your tire pressure once a week and before long trips any day lol! These sensors are a result of lazy or inept society lol. Either that or they want a way to make money of its consumers once they drive off the lot. To me its more of a nuscense than a safety feature. Bottom line when you fill up with gas look down at your tires lol. Even when driving down the road you should be able to tell if a tire is going low on pressure. But I think Ill deal with warning light for now if I get new rims until I have the money for 2nd set of tires. Drive the stock rims in winter without sensors and keep the sensors in new rims.

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

If you're putting bigger tires on, you're going to want a prgammer to correct the speedometer (which will also keep ESP from kicking on around turns)

If you get a programmer and want to eliminate TPMS, get the superchip flashpaq... it has an "offroad" setting that disables the TPMS warnings (it also eliminates the sensor pressure display on the dash)

-Matt
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
No superchips for my 3.7L sadly. I just told the wife to ignore the TPMS light.

My hypertech cannot turn it off. It does correct speedo for larger tires however.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Points: 6,439, Level: 52 Points: 6,439, Level: 52 Points: 6,439, Level: 52
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Strategically placed....................

2006 Jeep Commander 65th Anniversary Edition

Jeep Green
3.7 V6-QT I
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
If you're putting bigger tires on, you're going to want a prgammer to correct the speedometer (which will also keep ESP from kicking on around turns)

If you get a programmer and want to eliminate TPMS, get the superchip flashpaq... it has an "offroad" setting that disables the TPMS warnings (it also eliminates the sensor pressure display on the dash)
The TPMS and EPS are two different things, sure one tool "could" do programming for both, and it sounds like superchip does. Just so there is no confusion, the EPS needs to know the new tire diameter that has to be programmed into a separate electronic module for whole different system. Turning on/off or programming sensors for TPMS is a different electronic module on a whole different system.

I don't think the Superchip flashpaq can program new TPMS sensors installed in the wheels, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But, I don't think you have to program new TPMS sensors "IF you buy the correct ones", if you buy some universal sensor, that will probably require the aftermarket manufacturer's special tool to program it to mimic the correct sensor for a Commander.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I never said it can program new sensors. It turns the system off so you can run wheels without sensors and not get warning lights/buzzers

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in