Upgrading stock to performance wheels - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 1,071, Level: 17 Points: 1,071, Level: 17 Points: 1,071, Level: 17
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
AutoDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 36
Upgrading stock to performance wheels

Hi! I am planning to upgrade stock to performance wheels. Any suggestions what brand to buy?
AutoDreamer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lusby, MD
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDreamer View Post
Hi! I am planning to upgrade stock to performance wheels. Any suggestions what brand to buy?
Performance Wheels? Ummmm, while there is such a thing, I suspect you just want a different wheel than stock, like most people that buy "aftermarket" wheels.

Since there are wheels that would provide a performance improvement from a dozen different aspects, what performance aspect are looking to improve upon with new wheels?

Reduction of unsprung weight or rotational inertia?
Larger tire approach angle/climb?
Better bead retention for airing down to lower levels off road?

Many aftermarket performance wheels will improve/decrease one aspect over the other, so it really depends on your performance priorities which is the best selection, otherwise it would be a counterproductive selection.

OR, are you just looking for a dope set of rims for your ride? If that's the case, I'd go over to tirerack.com and look at their choices, they'll have a tool that will show what the rims will look like on your vehicle, plus articles about upgrading tire/wheel sizes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 04-15-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Mongo is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
luckyse7ens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Performance Wheels? Ummmm, while there is such a thing, I suspect you just want a different wheel than stock, like most people that buy "aftermarket" wheels.

Since there are wheels that would provide a performance improvement from a dozen different aspects, what performance aspect are looking to improve upon with new wheels?

Reduction of unsprung weight or rotational inertia?
Larger tire approach angle/climb?
Better bead retention for airing down to lower levels off road?

Many aftermarket performance wheels will improve/decrease one aspect over the other, so it really depends on your performance priorities which is the best selection, otherwise it would be a counterproductive selection.

OR, are you just looking for a dope set of rims for your ride? If that's the case, I'd go over to tirerack.com and look at their choices, they'll have a tool that will show what the rims will look like on your vehicle, plus articles about upgrading tire/wheel sizes.
Nailed it
luckyse7ens is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 1,071, Level: 17 Points: 1,071, Level: 17 Points: 1,071, Level: 17
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
AutoDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 36
Pardon me for my ignorance since i'm a new jeep owner. Thanks for the detailed info, by the way. Now I know it's called "aftermarket" rather than performance. I usually drive on light off-road trails, so i'm trying to look for set of wheels that's good for it.

Im gonna check your site suggestion. Thanks @Mongo!
AutoDreamer is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Junior Member
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
We recommend that you use the original spare parts are all tested its reliability.
jones11 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
sporty92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDreamer View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance since i'm a new jeep owner. Thanks for the detailed info, by the way. Now I know it's called "aftermarket" rather than performance. I usually drive on light off-road trails, so i'm trying to look for set of wheels that's good for it.

Im gonna check your site suggestion. Thanks @Mongo!
Here's a few also to check, off road and mud tires are usually heavy so you may need to check lighter aluminum alloy wheels such as Eagle, Ion, XD, etc.
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy...jeep/commander
http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Jeep_Wheels.20743
sporty92 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: May 2014
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Posts: 139
yea Aftermarket wheels. Performance wheels tend to be more for racing and such... such as Forged light weight wheels..something to do with unsprung weight?? to increase acceleration
omega48er is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome