Help with tire pressure sensor - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Help with tire pressure sensor

so I got this error bad / missing sensor or something and a warning light, I scroll through the info center and all tires show good pressure except the left rear where it is just a dash with no pressure reading. After driving a little it goes off and all tires show pressure, but it doesn't last and I'll get the same error and warning light. Do i have a bad sensor and can I change just the one? Couldn't find a definite answer because not all commanders show individual pressures it seems? Idk any help would be great. And the dealer is I guess the last resort because I'm stationed on guam and the wait to get in there is comical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:19 AM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Probably need a new TPMS unit in the wheel, how old? they use batteries that last from 5 to 6 years. Most tire stores here in US have the sensors - installed for around $50.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 AM
Points: 15,944, Level: 81 Points: 15,944, Level: 81 Points: 15,944, Level: 81
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Mine is doing the exact same thing, and yes it is a bad sensor.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Points: 4,038, Level: 40 Points: 4,038, Level: 40 Points: 4,038, Level: 40
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Mine still not working... Yours?

I first replaced all four with NAPA... And had the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor(s)". Then two weeks ago... I had Mopar re-installed... Same problem.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM

2007 Commander Limited

The chatter I have read... Different Mopar part numbers for different years? One post reported there is only one-specific TPMS for the 2007? What MHz is mine... What should it be? Help!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Most auto parts stores have computer look up of the correct parts for your year and model. On-line ordering does the same also.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
Most auto parts stores have computer look up of the correct parts for your year and model. On-line ordering does the same also.
The Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar folks state TPMS 56029479AB is the correct part. But I still have the problem!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

clapperc, it sounds like you have a problem with the transmitter/receiver and/or rest of the system, and NOT a bad sensor itself. You may need to have the diagnostic trouble codes for the system read and troubleshoot it.

I "think", meaning I don't know, the Commander has a TPMS system that does NOT need programming. i.e. you can replace a bad sensor and just drive a few miles and it will recognize the sensor and turn out the light. Provided you got the exact right sensor for your vehicle.

Replacing the sensor requires removing the tire, then remounting and balancing it.

The seals and stems on the sensors are replaceable, so you don't have to buy a whole new sensor for a damaged valve stem or leaking seal. You do have to remove the tire though.

The aftermarket has started to offer aftermarket TPMS sensors for less than the dealer specific TPMS sensor for you vehicle. These aftermarket sensors are programmable to mimic several different brands/manufacturers of sensors. i.e. a tire store only has to carry a couple of different types of sensors to be able to service hundreds of different vehicles. Even though the Commander doesn't require programming, if you use one of these aftermarket programmable sensor, the sensor itself would have to be programmed to mimic the Commander's specific sensor.

Of course, you can also get the aftermarket sensors online and pre-programmed for you specific vehicle. Johnsvt, if you have an autohobby shop in Guam, you could order one of these cheaper, pre-programmed sensors and install it yourself and it should work without any programming.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM

For reference... Here's the parts diagram:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 PM

Responses in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
clapperc, it sounds like you have a problem with the transmitter/receiver and/or rest of the system, and NOT a bad sensor itself. You may need to have the diagnostic trouble codes for the system read and troubleshoot it.

I "think", meaning I don't know, the Commander has a TPMS system that does NOT need programming. i.e. you can replace a bad sensor and just drive a few miles and it will recognize the sensor and turn out the light.
Correct.
Provided you got the exact right sensor for your vehicle.
I do according to the parts list from my VIN.

Replacing the sensor requires removing the tire, then remounting and balancing it.

The seals and stems on the sensors are replaceable, so you don't have to buy a whole new sensor for a damaged valve stem or leaking seal. You do have to remove the tire though.

The aftermarket has started to offer aftermarket TPMS sensors for less than the dealer specific TPMS sensor for you vehicle. These aftermarket sensors are programmable to mimic several different brands/manufacturers of sensors. i.e. a tire store only has to carry a couple of different types of sensors to be able to service hundreds of different vehicles. Even though the Commander doesn't require programming, if you use one of these aftermarket programmable sensor, the sensor itself would have to be programmed to mimic the Commander's specific sensor.
As noted before... I first tried NAPA's... Now Mopar... Same problem with both.

Of course, you can also get the aftermarket sensors online and pre-programmed for you specific vehicle. Johnsvt, if you have an autohobby shop in Guam, you could order one of these cheaper, pre-programmed sensors and install it yourself and it should work without any programming.
The problem: Although all four sensors are transmitting 315 Mhz... I lose connectivity to a single tire randomly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in