Stock-tires don't do the Commander justice - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,038, Level: 40 Points: 4,038, Level: 40 Points: 4,038, Level: 40
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Stock-tires don't do the Commander justice

I want to replace the stock tires... Daily-driver... Beefier profile? Lettering? What have others done? Photos would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by clapperc; 09-08-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I think saying the stock tires don't do the Commander justice is an understatement. Also in my experience they are horrible in snow.

You might want to search through the forum's tire threads...there's a lot of info floating around on options, if you have a few hours.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

A good option for slightly more aggressive daily driver tires are the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I had them before on a different Commander and they fit the bill. They looked more aggressive and handled well in snow and rain. I used to drive 90 miles a day during the week and I was very happy with them. Unfortunately I didn't hold on the Commander long enough due to the amount of driving I was doing so I didn't get to experience how they wear down, but I also haven't heard anything bad in that regard.

Like BBCBIRD mentioned, there's plenty of pics and threads in the forum regarding tires so have a look but also do some research into the Silent Armors.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Points: 1,567, Level: 22 Points: 1,567, Level: 22 Points: 1,567, Level: 22
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Really? Interesting. I liked my Fortera's. They did a great job. I had no issue with them in snow or mud while doing donuts. If i got another suv just for hauling people and other junk i would buy those tires again.

2007 White XK Hemi w/QD2: Purchased with 109k on the odometer. 118k currently. 2" OME HD lift, Tactical Armor Group front and rear bumpers. JK rubicon Moab wheels Plasti-dipped Charcoal. 1.5" wheel spacers
Soon to Come: 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT (Load E), PW mod, JBA UCA, JBA quick disconnects, Rusty's rear adjustable track bar. also plasti-dip the rest of the chrome on the XK to black.
Wish List: 6" lift.. might be a while...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Coop...I'm glad you've been pleased with them in snow but unfortunately I can't say the same.

On two occasions last winter I ended up sliding across the roadway (once ending up backwards and nearly into a ditch), while driving under 25mph on a road I was very familiar with. My tire tread was at about 70%, I'd say. There was about 2" of snow on the road. Just days before, I was driving my non-4WD car on the same road and under the same snow conditions and it wasn't a problem at all. The only difference was the car was front wheel drive and the tire tread was better then 95%.

I really got a bad feeling about the OEM tires based on how they handled last winter. I'm planning to swap to a set of the BF Goodrich KO or KO2, before the snow comes around this year.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I will do some looking around this forum for information. But I also wanted to clarify what I am looking for... I thought there might be a tire that better fills the wheel-well... And has a better looking profile?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

245/65-17

So... My stock-size is 245/65-17. I've found a 245/75-17. Anyone use larger?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

You won't find a taller tire that will fit without a lift and possibly some trimming. 245/75R17 is very close to rubbing on a stock setup, but I found that at least with my particular tires, I had zero rubbing, even with some off road and decent compression strokes. Of course, once I installed my lift/spacers, I rubbed on full lock until I worked on the fender liners some. See my thread below of the install pictures on mine otherwise stock.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36441

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapperc View Post
I want to replace the stock tires... Daily-driver... Beefier profile? Lettering? What have others done? Photos would be helpful. Thanks!

Okay, I can't help it, I've got to be a smart a$$, nit-noid. Those aren't stock tires on that Commander.

The stock tires are Goodyear Fortera's, with black lettering (not white) which is a great all around tire for a stock Jeep that lasts longer than any other OEM tire I have seen.

You mean stock tire size.

Keep in mind, different overall diameter tires will turn at different rpm per speed. This virtually changes your gear ratio's. Bigger diameter tires will result in less torque to wheels. Within an inch or so of overall diameter, it won't be very noticeable, but the taller the tire, the more sluggish the vehicle will be off the line. Also, rotational inertia is much greater than linear, so bigger tires will also be more massive, greater diameter will increase the rotational inertia geometrically, braking performance will suffer as well. The Commander has big brakes, it should be able to handle bigger tires with reason.

And finally, keep in mind the Commander has ESP/BAS/Roll Mitigation/Traction Control, etc. Tire diameter will effect these systems and the computer will read different rpm per speed than it expects, this can cause all sorts of unintended reactions from these systems. The electronics can be reprogrammed with the tire diameter to get these systems to react properly, so make sure you do it, if you switch tire sizes and have a different overall tire diameter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I took a look at the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors... It seems they are only available in black-wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
A good option for slightly more aggressive daily driver tires are the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I had them before on a different Commander and they fit the bill. They looked more aggressive and handled well in snow and rain. I used to drive 90 miles a day during the week and I was very happy with them. Unfortunately I didn't hold on the Commander long enough due to the amount of driving I was doing so I didn't get to experience how they wear down, but I also haven't heard anything bad in that regard.

Like BBCBIRD mentioned, there's plenty of pics and threads in the forum regarding tires so have a look but also do some research into the Silent Armors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in