JK or XK wheels? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By mnypitXK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170,000
Garage
JK or XK wheels?

Hey all, I've been searching craigslist for some 255/75 JK take off tires and have found some w wheels. I was just planning on using my XK wheels, but I have found tires on wheels for about the same price. I was planing on painting whichever black.

What are the benefits, if any, of using each? I am using 1.5" spidertrax so the back spacing and offset shouldn't matter. Any other benefits?

I am planning on putting my stock tires on Craigslist with less than 5,000 miles on them. Maybe they will sell better on the wheels?

Any issues w the TPMS sensors?

As usual, thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
The wheels are basically the same. Since you have spacers already, it's just about the look you like better.

I have Rubicon wheels and tires and they look a lot tougher than the chromes that came stock.

Seems like the cost will be in your favor on this one.

As for TPMS: if the new wheels don't have them, you will find it difficult/impossible to turn off the warning. There is supposed to be a procedure for it when using snow tires and such, but I don't know anyone who's gotten it to work. You (or a tire shop) could slip them off the old wheels just by breaking the bead and collapsing the tire. You can install them on the new wheels the same way but you'd probably need them re-balanced because of the additional weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns134 View Post
Hey all, I've been searching craigslist for some 255/75 JK take off tires and have found some w wheels. I was just planning on using my XK wheels, but I have found tires on wheels for about the same price. I was planing on painting whichever black.

What are the benefits, if any, of using each? I am using 1.5" spidertrax so the back spacing and offset shouldn't matter. Any other benefits?

I am planning on putting my stock tires on Craigslist with less than 5,000 miles on them. Maybe they will sell better on the wheels?

Any issues w the TPMS sensors?

As usual, thanks all.
TPMS warning light will remain on if your install any aftermarket rim - unless you order a new set of stock XK rims that already have the TPMS in place.

You could try to order a new set of TPMS and install them on whatever rims you plan to use - that's a solution that should work.

As far as disabling the TPMS warning light - as far as I know, it can't be done.

There were some rumors floating around the forum a while back that the Superchips F5 3874 Flashpaq Tuner could disable the TPMS warning light by adjusting the PSI level that triggered the TPMS to activate - but I proved that theory to be false when I bought my Superchips F5 3874 Flashpaq Tuner.

You have to access the Tire Pressure sub-menu to adjust the PSI level that triggers the TPMS to activate and the Superchips F5 3874 Flashpaq Tuner does not give you access to that sub-menu.

You can read more about it and see some pics here - 5th post down;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...estions-3.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-04-2017 at 12:38 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Points: 5,796, Level: 49 Points: 5,796, Level: 49 Points: 5,796, Level: 49
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Pictured below is a set of brand new stock JK wheels and Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 255/75R17 tires on my 2009 Limited Hemi. This is my summer/highway set. I have a 2" Rough Country leveling lift and 1.5" wheel spacers and there is just a small bit of rubbing at full wheel lock. As @Bobula and @Big Blue mentioned, until I get new TPMS sensors, I am dealing with the dreaded low-pressure warning. After 75 seconds, it stops blinking making it easier to ignore.

My original XK wheels were in rough shape; the clear coat was peeling and the aluminum was corroding.
I bought a second set of the brand new JK rims and put my Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure/Kevlar 265/70R17 on them as my winter/off-road set. I installed my original TPMS sensors to these rims and they work great.

You asked about the benefits of these JK rims... Unlike my original clear-coat over aluminum rims, these are painted silver from the factory, and as such, I'm hoping it'll be more durable and forgiving finish than the clear-coated aluminum. In addition to that, my Jeep is the same silver and I personally like the looks of them with the white letter out.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6580.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	25882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6578.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	25890  

2009 Commander Limited, Silver, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, 2" Rough Country lift, 1.5" wheel spacers, 265/70R17 Goodyear A/T Kevlar, Tow Group IV, MyGig RER

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-26-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2JetGuy View Post
Pictured below is a set of brand new stock JK wheels and Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 255/75R17 tires on my 2009 Limited Hemi. This is my summer/highway set. I have a 2" Rough Country leveling lift and 1.5" wheel spacers and there is just a small bit of rubbing at full wheel lock. As @Bobula and @Big Blue mentioned, until I get new TPMS sensors, I am dealing with the dreaded low-pressure warning. After 75 seconds, it stops blinking making it easier to ignore.

My original XK wheels were in rough shape; the clear coat was peeling and the aluminum was corroding.
I bought a second set of the brand new JK rims and put my Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure/Kevlar 265/70R17 on them as my winter/off-road set. I installed my original TPMS sensors to these rims and they work great.

You asked about the benefits of these JK rims... Unlike my original clear-coat over aluminum rims, these are painted silver from the factory, and as such, I'm hoping it'll be more durable and forgiving finish than the clear-coated aluminum. In addition to that, my Jeep is the same silver and I personally like the looks of them with the white letter out.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
It's a good look on your XK @A2JetGuy ;

I'm surprised you were able to get your original TPM sensors off without destroying them.

I tried when I bought my Centerlines - but I couldn't get them off in tact.

Maybe when I go home again in November, I'll order a set of TPM sensors and have them installed.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned
Points: 2,887, Level: 32 Points: 2,887, Level: 32 Points: 2,887, Level: 32
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

I did the exact same thing to my jeep. Also, spotted a commander with Rubicon wheels on. No lift but still looked good!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	25906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	25914  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Those JK wheels do look good on you guys w the silver XKs. I am going to go w the same look. I have the black XK w metallic flakes in the paint. I found Plastidip has Obsidian. Supposedly it looks matte in the shade and shows off the flakes in the sun. Just like the XK paint does.
As far as which wheels -I've been going back and forth. I'm leaving now towards the JK wheels, mainly because they are 7 years newer and have 140,000 less miles on them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:15 PM
Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
I have JK wheels on my XK. Had to do the pinch weld mod. Or in other words, sawzall and sledge hammer mod. LOL.. I think they look pretty good. Nice size, really fills up the fender area good. I am pretty sure my spacers are 1.75".

TPMS will not work with the stock sensors from a JK. They are on a different frequency. HOWEVER, I just found out, buy buying one, that the Superchips Flashpaq F4 3872. It is the previous model to the new F5 unit. I just bought it on ebay refurbished for 189 and it worked great. I had to download the update, then the TPMS offroad option, but it worked great. No TPMS warning at all. Plus I was able to adjust the speedo to accommodate the tire size and I am gonna use the 87 octane tune.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	496--.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	25962  
Big Blue likes this.

Last edited by mnypitXK; 07-27-2017 at 08:22 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
I am just planning on having my sensors moved over to the JK wheels. Won't that work? The JK owner kept the sensors out of his and moved them over to his aftermarket wheels. If the shop can't move them over, then I will use the XK wheels until I need new sensors in the next couple of years.

The pinch weld mod was fun to do. A little scary, but fun. My 15 pound sledge w the short handle made easy work of the welds after the sawzall was used.

Thanks for the advise about the flashpaq. I'm hoping not to mess w one. But just in case now I have the number for the one that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in