TPMS problem - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112000
TPMS problem

I have a 06 Limited. Front and right rear tires read OK but left rear and spare do not. Since I knew the right rear tire was OK, I switched the rear tires to determine if my problem was the tire or the receiver. After switching, the right rear tire (originally on left) showed up as OK and the left rear position still had no reading. Since I have the Limited with the premium system with 3 transponders (per the service manual), I was assuming that the single rear transponder (right rear wheel well) would be picking up signals for both rear tires as well as the spare. Since the transponder originally picked up the signal from the right rear tire but would not pick up the same tire after I switched rear tires, I am assuming that something is wrong with the transponder.
Two questions
1) Does this sound right? Should the transponder work OK for one position but not OK for the other positions it is monitoring?
2) Grand Cherokee appears to use same part. Anyone have success pulling a used on from a Grand Cherokee?

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Question Test Drive

Did you take it for a test drive sometimes it takes awhile to reset, 5 miles I would think would do it.

Swanny
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Drove it plenty to do the reset. Found some related info that may help point in a different direction. Apparently the XK system is the same as used on the Grand Cherokee as well as the 300 Chrysler. Info on those forums have a lot of TPMS complaints just like I have read here. On a 300 forum, I found the following info that I have not seen in the XK service manual

"On vehicles equipped with the premium TPM system, the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as
the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), uses transponders (trigger modules) located in three of the four
wheel wells on the vehicle to provide it with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. Like the base
system, the WCM receives RF signals from all four rotating wheel speed sensors. When the WCM needs to know
which sensor is located at a particular location on the vehicle, it directs the transponder at that location to send out
a low frequency signal to excite the nearby sensor. The WCM then receives that excited signal and knows where
that sensor is located. This auto-locating process only happens in the first 10 minutes of any WCM cycle while
traveling at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h) (Each WCM cycle ends when the vehicle has been shut off for a time
period of approximately 15 minutes or longer). Once the WCM has performed this to the three locations that have
transponders (left front, right front and right rear wheel wells), it uses the process-of-elimination theory to know that
the fourth sensor ID signal is coming from the left rear tire sensor."

I had been assuming that the three transponder modules were reading the tire info but that is not correct per this info. The key ingredient is the WCM. It tells each transponder to (in turn) tell its tire sensor to broadcast its info. Based on the timing for these events, the WCM knows which tire is where and its info. Although the left tire is transmitting periodically, the WCM never tells the left rear tire when to transmit so the WCM reads the unknown tire info as the left rear tire by default. I don't know how the spare fits in here.

If this is correct, the problem child here is the WCM - not the tire sensors or the three transponders. Appears that the WCM is failing to read or use the info it is receiving from the left rear (or the spare?) This suggest that the problem (in my case) is that the WCM is not reading (or interpreting) the signal for the left rear tire.

Not sure how to test this theory. The WCM also receives the signals from your key fob so it may not be a generic box that can be moved from one vehicle to another (such as from a salvage vehicle). May require a dealer to program it. I also assume it is not cheap. Going to visit local dealer and see what they say.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 AM
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Garage
How old are the sensors? Have you replaced them?

The sensors are battery powered, and the battery in them is not replaceable. They have an expected service life of 7 to 10 years.

If you've got the original sensors, I'd start with replacing those.

Racer_X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm correct.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Points: 15,925, Level: 81 Points: 15,925, Level: 81 Points: 15,925, Level: 81
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
A place like discount tire can tell you which wheel sensors are good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I know all the sensors in the wheels are working because I can rotate tires around and they all report OK except when they are in the left rear position. There is something weird going on relative to the left rear position. Since the left rear is not associated with the transponders in the other wheel wells, that is why I suspect the problem is in the WCM. Have not had a chance to do any more checking so far.
Side note - I saw on another forum where people report problems with the aftermarket tire sensors. Although they supposedly transmit on the correct frequencies, the system has problems with anything other than the Chrysler OEM sensors. I don't think I have that problem but if you are having TPMS problems, this could be an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in