Vribrations from front end at highway speed (again) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Vribrations from front end at highway speed (again)

I'm still experiencing vibrations at highway speed (70+) from the front end. I've had the vehicle realigned and the caster was way off, so that was fixed and the truck doesn't wander to the right anymore! But I'm still getting the vibrations, almost as if the wheels were out of balance at that speed. It does seem to diminish when I'm accelerating, but its most noticeable when I'm just cruising.

Does this sound like something that could be fixed with a road-force balance? When I had the new wheels installed Discount Tire did a regular balance but didn't have a road force balancer. I'd like to rule out the wheels/tires before going for something more drastic like a new driveshaft or similar, especially since its really a rough ride when I'm out on the road for a while!

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr View Post
I'm still experiencing vibrations at highway speed (70+) from the front end. I've had the vehicle realigned and the caster was way off, so that was fixed and the truck doesn't wander to the right anymore! But I'm still getting the vibrations, almost as if the wheels were out of balance at that speed. It does seem to diminish when I'm accelerating, but its most noticeable when I'm just cruising.

Does this sound like something that could be fixed with a road-force balance? When I had the new wheels installed Discount Tire did a regular balance but didn't have a road force balancer. I'd like to rule out the wheels/tires before going for something more drastic like a new driveshaft or similar, especially since its really a rough ride when I'm out on the road for a while!
YES!!!!!!!
Your vibration is SINCE tire replacement if I understand your question.
Once balanced, driveshafts stay balanced unless a weight is torn off or it gets bent somehow.
Driveshaft vibration is a very high amplitute vibration, like a buzz, and begins around 35mph and will intensify with speed.
If out of balance, the problem usually has been evident since the vehicle went into service.
There is a adaptor, or special proceedure required to road force balance these wheels.
I am surprised a Discount Tire did not have the equipment as it is part of their mandatory franchise equipment. Odd..............

Keep on the balance issue, I think based on description, that will be the problem.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Robby, thanks for your input. They did have the proper equipment to perform a regular balance, including adapters, but I also have aftermarket wheels with hub-centric rings installed, and even they admitted that they don't have a road-force balancer. Going to try a Goodyear shop in town to see if they have the proper machine to do the balancing, don't really want to go back to my local dealer since they have to send all the tire & alignment work to the Ford shop!

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in