Confusion on tire placement with TPMS - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112000
Confusion on tire placement with TPMS

Been fighting my TPMS system ever since I got my 06 XK Limited several months ago. I have several threads here discussing the weird stuff it is doing. I finally decided the TPMS sensors are old and decided to install a new TPMS sensor (68078861AB) along with a new tire (needed) and place it in the left rear since that was the position not reporting. However, after plenty of driving to let the system discover the new TPMS sensor as is proper for the 06 XK Limited, I am still not getting any readings from the left rear. HOWEVER, after noting that my left front tire had suddenly gained pressure (from a normal 34 to 39) after installing the new left rear tire, I became suspicious that there was more going on than I realized. I deflated the left rear and the left front reading suddenly dropped down to 34. That tells me that the left front reading I am getting on the dash is actually my left rear tire reading.

I only replaced one TPMS sensor and it was installed into the left rear. The old sensor removed was a very old part number (56053030AC) and was probably a factory install. I am guessing that the remaining TPMS sensors are old also and their reporting is questionable. I suspect that the computer is confused by erratic TPMS reading from the old sensors and unable to determine which sensor is actually in each position. If true, the only fix is to install new TPMS sensors in each wheel (they need new sensors anyway) along with a new set of tires I want.

Has anyone else experienced a tire (on XK Limited) reporting in the wrong position on the dash display? How did you fix it?

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Yes went to Discount tire and they told me which sensor was bad, they replaced it $60+/- and I have not had anymore issues.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I've noticed that the sensors can be read by multiple receivers on the vehicle. The Laredo and Limited trims have different numbers of receivers, I believe, as a result of spare tire pressure readings. You've got the limited with the greater number of receivers, so I would recommend checking each of those first.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the info on how many receivers you should have. But you should have two in the front wheel wells and at least one placed elsewhere. I might recommend switching those around to see if each of them is in a working condition.

Each receiver does monitor multiple tires, which is why the vehicle may be confused about tire placement.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
I've noticed that the sensors can be read by multiple receivers on the vehicle. The Laredo and Limited trims have different numbers of receivers, I believe, as a result of spare tire pressure readings. You've got the limited with the greater number of receivers, so I would recommend checking each of those first.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the info on how many receivers you should have. But you should have two in the front wheel wells and at least one placed elsewhere. I might recommend switching those around to see if each of them is in a working condition.

Each receiver does monitor multiple tires, which is why the vehicle may be confused about tire placement.
The XK Limited has 3 transceivers. Both front and right rear. In the first bit of driving, the computer uses the transceivers to tell a tire to send a TPMS signal. Based on the timing, the computer can then determine which TPMS sensor is at those three positions. Knowing this, the computer then can determine which remaining active sensor (rotating tire) is in left rear. The spare is not an active sensor per se. It transmits but at a much less frequent interval since it is not rotating. This allows the computer to determine which sensor is the spare vs an active sensor in left rear.

I have more TPMS sensors on order as well as a set of new tires. If this does not fix everything, I just wasted a lot of money.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I don't suppose your XK throws any codes to help you diagnose? I know that mine currently gives me a message to service the TPMS system since I damaged the front left transceiver while performing the pinch weld mod, but I haven't checked to see if there are any codes associated with that.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
my back left doesnt show either, and my front left tire reads as my front right and my front right tire reads as my back right and my back right tire reads as my front left....

I feel your pain

so if you figure this one out please post the solution!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
I remember the days when you looked at your tires each day and if on looked low you just took out a strange tool called a tire gauge and checked it or to took it to the local gas station and checked it with a trusted free air station. Isn't technology wonderful.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I agree with everyone's comments. If there was a way to turn off the TPMS system, I would. Right now it is an annoyance with the flashing lights on the dash. From what I have heard, the UK version of the XK has a way to turn off the system by removing all the sensors and the system stops reporting. However, that capability does not apparently exist on the USA version (by law?). I wonder if we could change the internal code to say that an XK is a UK version and then somehow turn off the TPMS system.....then change the country code back to the USA. From what I understand, we can turn on the daylight driving light by changing the country code to Canada then turn on the daylight code then change the country code back to the USA. Would be nice to same to the TPMS.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I agree with everyone's comments. If there was a way to turn off the TPMS system, I would. Right now it is an annoyance with the flashing lights on the dash. From what I have heard, the UK version of the XK has a way to turn off the system by removing all the sensors and the system stops reporting. However, that capability does not apparently exist on the USA version (by law?). I wonder if we could change the internal code to say that an XK is a UK version and then somehow turn off the TPMS system.....then change the country code back to the USA. From what I understand, we can turn on the daylight driving light by changing the country code to Canada then turn on the daylight code then change the country code back to the USA. Would be nice to same to the TPMS.
That's correct.

It is a safety system, by law it can not be removed.

Unless you find a shady garage somewhere that may be willing to do it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Partially fixed my TPMS problems. I wanted new tires anyway so I bought 5 new TPMS sensors and installed them along with 5 new tires. I was hoping that my problems were associated with old sensors with weak batteries. All 5 sensors pulled out were indeed the original sensors installed at the factory thus they were about 11 years old. Well past the typical life of a sensor. After installing the new sensors, all my tires on the ground started reporting their status correctly. However, my spare is still showing low pressure on the dash readout....even with a new TPMS sensor. Frustrating. Not sure how to correct that problems. I don't know if changing the position on how the spare is hanging but I will rotate the spare half turn and see if that does anything. In theory, that should not impact the reading.
Is it possible to erase all TPMS sensor addresses from the computer memory and then let the computer start over with a clean slate? Is it possible that the computer is retaining an old address for a previous sensor that is no longer installed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in