Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and GS-A - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and GS-A

I did an extensive search on the forum and didn't see much discussion on these. TireRack is having a sale on the 265/70/17's Goodyear AT/S and Goodyear GSA. I figure they will most likely need some cutting but I think saving the extra $100 plus is worth it. I was wondering what your thoughts were, it looks like the AT/S are the better way to go.

TireRack is in my town, and I don't know if I will find a better buy for $105. I see people are moving to the 255/70/17's but again, for the cost this just seems like a better buy. Notes on me: Live in Northern Indiana with frequent of snow and rain, 2.25" Rocky road lift with spidertrax spacers

I welcome your thoughts, particularly on quality.

Aaron's 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 QT-II:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

--

Last edited by BoilerCommander; 12-02-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAx2 View Post
I did an extensive search on the forum and didn't see much discussion on these. TireRack is having a sale on the 265/70/17's. I figure they will most likely need some cutting but I think saving the extra $100 plus is worth it. I was wondering what your thoughts were, it looks like the AT/S are the better way to go.

TireRack is in my town, and I don't know if I will find a better buy for $105. I see people are moving to the 255/70/17's but again, for the cost this just seems like a better buy. Notes on me: Live in Northern Indiana with frequent of snow and rain, 2.25" Rocky road lift with spidertrax spacers

I welcome your thoughts, particularly on quality.
That does seem like a really good price. That is the same size (265/70/17) I'm looking at to run with a 2 inch lift and same spacers. I would buy from Tire Rack if I lived close to them. I've been considering the GY Wrangler Silent Armor. From what I hear they might be a better tire but they are also about $70 more per tire than the AT/S. That's a big price difference. So you might want to go with the AT/S. Others may have more information or experience with quality of the AT/S.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.

Last edited by GPintheMitten; 12-01-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: clarify tire size
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Those should work fine with a 2" lift and spacers, I am running the 255/75/17' and only had to trip the front which I ended up removing since I installed the Get Lost 4X4 bumper.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

When you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
only had to trip the front which I ended up removing since I installed the Get Lost 4X4 bumper.
were you referring to cutting the bumper and pinch welds? Also, were you saying the 265/70/17's should work fine?

Thanks! I need to check out some new pics of your XK with the new get lost bumper too. I have been kinda inactive on here the last couple months and have some catching up to do!

---
---

--
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Look at the pictures on any of the XKs with the new bumper, we trimmed off the front side of the plastic wheel well, I did not have to do anything with the metal anywhere.

Click the link to my garage to see the new bumper on mine.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Look at the pictures on any of the XKs with the new bumper, we trimmed off the front side of the plastic wheel well, I did not have to do anything with the metal anywhere.

Click the link to my garage to see the new bumper on mine.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I thought that the rub was in the back half of the wheel well. Looks great!

Sorry for all of the questions, but I was still wondering if you were referring to the 255/0/17 or the 265/70/17's when you said they should work fine?

---
---

--
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Points: 4,209, Level: 41 Points: 4,209, Level: 41 Points: 4,209, Level: 41
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

I had the AT/S on my 97 Grand Cherokee and I thought it was a great tire. That being said, it's a dated technology and IMHO I think that the Wrangler Silent Armors would be a better choice. Just my thoughts....

5th Jeep

1991 YJ
1995 XJ Sport
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
2006 XK 26 "U" pkg Dark Khaki!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper64 View Post
I had the AT/S on my 97 Grand Cherokee and I thought it was a great tire. That being said, it's a dated technology and IMHO I think that the Wrangler Silent Armors would be a better choice. Just my thoughts....
I think would echo that. I think it was probably a good tire when it came out but the wrangler silent armors are a better over all tire. I have the AT/S on a wrangler and they do ok, but nothing like the Silent armors on my commander.

2010 Metallic Black Limited, HEMI, QD2, 1.5 inch Spidertrax,2.25 RR lift,Maxxis 265-75/17s, 4xG Matrix/receiver,bellyguard, front guard

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I have no doubt that the Silent Armor are a better tire, but right now I can't justify the extra $60 - $75 a tire, if the AT/S is indeed a good tire. Now, if you said the AT/S was junk I would think otherwise.

If all things go well with my new job, I would like to bump up to the 4" Superlift in a year or two so I would most likely go with a new set of tires then too. But again, if you think it is a good tire for $105 I may just go with this for now. The customer reviews seem good (cant say that for the GSA)

---
---

--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in