Newby trying to make sense of all this... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Newby trying to make sense of all this...

Howdy;
I just bought an '08 w/ the trail package, thinking I was getting an off road outfit. Being 6'6", had to find something I could fit into, this was on the lot, very nice outfit. Made the mistake of not researching before buying simply because I wasn't even thinking of a Jeep. But it fits me, and the imports didn't.

Problem is, can't find tires in the original 245/65R/17 in an eight ply rated, which have served me very well the past 18 years or so. I drive a lot in cactus, and don't like flats. One dealer has told me he can fix me up with 8 or 10 ply wranglers, another said that there's only one tire in that size that's not a 4 ply, and that's a 6 ply Firestone something or other.

I really hate being this ignorant. At 64, I don't want to fiddle around with lift this, spacer that, cut this, bend that, all I want is a dadgummed truck that won't get flat tires every time it looks crosseyed at a little cactus. Is that too much to ask? If it is, will someone please just say so? If not, what's a dummy to do?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Hello Sir and welcome to the forum. I am sure someone in here will give you their input. We also have a sponsering vendor that might advise you, (Discount Tire). I am jumping in on this thread because I recognize this new member from a PM he sent me. He was a Marine in Vietnam in 67. Actually he still is a Marine (once a marine always a marine). What I wanted to recognize him for is that he lost a leg in the service of our country and I think that deserves to be acknowledged. Thank You Sir and Welcome.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Welcome sir, check out www.discounttire.com Your tire size, click here or www.tirerack.com Your tire size click here and see if they carry something that will work for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help...

And another question. I've spent most of the day looking over tire ads and talking to dealers. None of the ads list ply ratings. Is that a thing of the past or is my ignorance showing, and I'm just missing the numbers? Edited to add: Hey! I think I get it! Thank YOU a49erfan! That BFG table shows several in the original size, but requiring different air pressure. Thinking back, one of the dealers today said that the more plies, the higher air pressure required, and the more pressure required over the normal 35#, not only does the ride get worse, it gets downright dangerous. So, can we extrapolate from the air pressure figures, that perhaps something that requires 44# is a 6 ply, something requiring 60# is an 8 ply (none found, by the way) and one requiring 80# of air is a 10 ply? Sorry 'bout the long post.

It looks like something in 245/70R/17 will work... does anyone have any experience in serious cactus with anything that size? TIA!

And thank you again HueyPilotVN, for your service; it didn't take any skill to get my leg blown off, but guys like you saved my butt when it did. I never got to thank them, so I hope that you accept my heartfelt thanks in their stead.

Last edited by Betterluckytg; 12-03-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info, slow learner
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Welcome, My suggestion is that you look into foam filling. If you drive alot in cactus then it may be worth the time, money, and effort. There are companies out there that will fill a standard air filled tire with foam to make it a "solid" tire. This is usually done on construction or off-highway equipments so not sure how it will affect the ride but I promise you will not get a flat with this way.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

i can talk to my brother and father in law to give you a good idea of what to look for. as they are both high end tire guys. one is district manager in the southwest for major distributer's and the other run's a service company on big equipment and also custom apps. as far as the foam filled goes, they're very heavy and will kill your ride and mileage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

foam? googled that and...

it seems that they are for rims that are bolted together, wheelchairs and tractor tires. Must be a low pressure thing, right? Might come in handy if I get a wheelchair flat, but it's not happened in 40 years, to the odds are slim. Thanks for the idea though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterluckytg View Post
it seems that they are for rims that are bolted together, wheelchairs and tractor tires. Must be a low pressure thing, right? Might come in handy if I get a wheelchair flat, but it's not happened in 40 years, to the odds are slim. Thanks for the idea though.
They will do it on a standard tire. I've seen it done. The problem is that when the time comes to change the tire you have to cut it off and get new foam. As for pressure I know that they will make it for the application and i've seen it on heavy equipment like loaders, dumps, and lulls. The other problem is that the cost is WAY WAY high for something like this that isn't perminant. If you really like the idea you will have to find someone local and talk to them but I personally would never get this done even if I had to drive on broken glass every day.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
You could always try these:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7003

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Points: 3,309, Level: 35 Points: 3,309, Level: 35 Points: 3,309, Level: 35
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

I am 44 and I remember buying bias ply-tires, where tire quality was almost solely dependent and the number of plys quantity you purchased. Now almost everything is a radial and the ply count has disappeared from consideration.

Does this make sense to anyone or am I lost in a fog?

'07 Steel Blue Commander Limited 5.7L Hemi QDII 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in