Jeep Commander Forum banner

need snow tires!

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GPintheMitten 
#1 ·
we just got a major dump of snow, (calling for 30 cm.), and I gotta put some winters on the wife's XK. here's my dilema:

I've got brand new set of Cooper Arctic Claw from our Land Rover, but they are a 16". does anyone know what our exact bolt pattern is on these XK's so I can see if I can find a cheap 16" rim to throw these on for the winter? has anyone run a smaller rim than the 17's? let me know, thanks in advance.

Chris

#4 ·
I recently put a set of 15" rims on my brother-in-law's yukon. It originally had 16" on it and the only way to clear the brake caliper was to add a 1.5" wheel spacer. After buying the new wheels and spacers you may be better off just buying a set of tires. If you really are interested in the new wheels I suggest finding a 16" wheel to borrow and test fit it first before you pay for anything.

#6 ·
where are you located. i'd love a RHD rover w/ diesel.
sorry, I thought I had supplied that info on my user CP. I live in Quesnel, B.C., Canada. about 700 kms. from Vancouver. yeah, the Rover was cool, but it is a '91, and I wanted to get my wife something with a little more creature comforts for her daily driver. I can e-mail you some pics if you want?

Chris

#7 ·
I'd get a second set of wheels and the proper tire size. Wait, that's exactly what I did! :bouncy: I put a set of Nokian winter tires on a set of stock Commander wheels I bought off eBay. If you consider this route, contact Huey. He has a whole pile of Wrangler Rubicon rims he's looking to unload! :)

#8 ·
Actually, I am not looking to unload them. I bought them on impulse and now I want to use them or at least one set to encourage attendance at the Colorado Commander trail ride. At least one of the remaining four is committed and I thought the other three would make good spare door prizes. They are not hard to find, some even come with good off road tires on them for about $500 a set. I think many of them are take offs from Wrangler upgrades. Try a search on Ebay.

#9 ·
Actually, I am not looking to unload them. I bought them on impulse and now I want to use them or at least one set to encourage attendance at the Colorado Commander trail ride. At least one of the remaining four is committed and I thought the other three would make good spare door prizes. They are not hard to find, some even come with good off road tires on them for about $500 a set. I think many of them are take offs from Wrangler upgrades. Try a search on Ebay.
In addition to checking ebay, check craigslist. I found a set in my area (Michigan) but decided against them. I decided to just keep one set of wheels, my original stock wheels and replace my worn out stock tires with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors to run year 'round. I think they will make a good snow/ice/offroad/onroad tire.

I advise you sell your Landrover 16" wheels and tires.

#11 ·
No problem, that would be a normal assumption. I just usually give stuff away instead of selling it. Sometimes I think that this forum is my pet charity...lol

#13 · (Edited)
Okay, first of all i just joined so please be patient. What year Rubicon can I get those wheels from? I'm just looking for some steel wheels to use as my winter set (studded tires).
You need 5 on 5 wheels. If you just want steel wheels for snow tires, you can probably get them cheaper than getting Rubicon aluminum styled wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.