Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's and ultimately, upgrading to the 4 inch Superlift. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Points: 23,395, Level: 94 Points: 23,395, Level: 94 Points: 23,395, Level: 94
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's and ultimately, upgrading to the 4 inch Superlift.

Alright forum members, I'm calling on you for your insight, opinions & knowledge.

I have the 2 inch RC lift and JBA UCA's for lifted XK's. I also have the WAM front bumper which gives me a little more clearance in the forward most part of the front wheel well with he factory front bumper cover being removed - but the factory wheel tub still remains in tact.

I'm buying 1 1/2 inch SpiderTrax wheel spacers - initially with the thought of upgrading to Goodyear Duratrac LT265/70/17's which would be a little wider than the P265/70R17's TOYO Open Country All Terrain II's that I'm running now due to the thicker sidewalls and more aggressive tread pattern.

I'm now contemplating trying to upgrade to Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's which are 33 inch tires - my TOYO's are about 31.6 inches in diameter and I have the most minute bit of rubbing on the inner wheel well when I cut the wheel all the way - barely noticeable to be honest.

My current rims are 17 x 8 with 4.5 inches of back spacing and 0mm of offset, I think the LT285/70/17's will fit on these rims just fine.

I do not have the pinch weld mod done.

My question is will the 1 1/2 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers give me enough clearance for the 285's? I think they will - but I know it's going to be pretty close - one way or the other.

I also found 1.25 inch billet aluminum spacers by Protuninglab:

https://www.protuninglab.com/jeco06w...RoCeZYQAvD_BwE

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-01-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
For that size tire, you're going to need the pinch weld mod at the very least. You'll probably need to trim your front wheel liner if you want everything to work out properly. Rear tires shouldn't be a problem.

The closest size tire I ran with my RC lift was a 265/70R18. Slightly skinnier tire, but about the same height. I ran them with 5.2" of backspacing, so my inner tire was probably about equivalent to where yours would be at 4.5" of backspacing.

Up front, with the pinch weld mod and properly shaped liner, I had no rubbing on the drivers side pinch weld and minor rubbing on the passenger side liner where it had to mold around the rear AC. The main rubbing I experienced was on the front edge on both sides; I had some serious rubbing on the wheel liner just below the fog light access flaps. I ended up trimming the liners just below the access flaps and eliminated all rubbing issues. With the cut of your front bumper, I doubt you'd encounter the same issue.

I don't think the wheel spacers are necessary. You shouldn't make contact with the rear AC lines, and spacing the wheels out even more won't give you any more clearance on anything else. Spacing your wheels out that much will also put a lot of extra stress on your front end components. I think that your best option is to simply hammer away at the pinch weld until everything clears; there's plenty of dead space behind that metal, so you've got plenty of room to push it all back.
luckyse7ens likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
For that size tire, you're going to need the pinch weld mod at the very least. You'll probably need to trim your front wheel liner if you want everything to work out properly. Rear tires shouldn't be a problem.

The closest size tire I ran with my RC lift was a 265/70R18. Slightly skinnier tire, but about the same height. I ran them with 5.2" of backspacing, so my inner tire was probably about equivalent to where yours would be at 4.5" of backspacing.

Up front, with the pinch weld mod and properly shaped liner, I had no rubbing on the drivers side pinch weld and minor rubbing on the passenger side liner where it had to mold around the rear AC. The main rubbing I experienced was on the front edge on both sides; I had some serious rubbing on the wheel liner just below the fog light access flaps. I ended up trimming the liners just below the access flaps and eliminated all rubbing issues. With the cut of your front bumper, I doubt you'd encounter the same issue.

I don't think the wheel spacers are necessary. You shouldn't make contact with the rear AC lines, and spacing the wheels out even more won't give you any more clearance on anything else. Spacing your wheels out that much will also put a lot of extra stress on your front end components. I think that your best option is to simply hammer away at the pinch weld until everything clears; there's plenty of dead space behind that metal, so you've got plenty of room to push it all back.
Thanks cbw, I just got off the phone with my guy at the 4x4 shop who did my Rough Country lift, rear springs & tires a couple of years back, he actually agrees with you, that I'd probably be better off without the spacers, he said we may need to so some cutting for proper clearance, but, he wouldn't know for sure until he looked at it. He seemed pretty confident that it could be done, so, I'll probably swing over there when I get home in November and have him take a look at it and see what he thinks.

EDIT: I'm texting back & forth with the Wrangler Tech at the Jeep dealership I usually go to (Who I trust & have been going to for years) and he's telling me more lift is the solution......

If that's the case, I think the next step for me would have to be the 4 inch Superlift..........uuuuuuggggghhhhhh.........

Decisions, decisions.....
luckyse7ens likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 PM

4WD
Garage
More lift is the ideal solution. With a Superlift, you'll have no problem clearing that tire; when I ran my modified OME I sat an inch lower than the Superlift and had plenty of clearance on my tires. 285s are actually recommended for the Superlift.

However, I don't think you'll have any problem clearing them on your RC kit with some cutting and hammering. Plus that'll set you up well to clear 35s if you ever do move to the Superlift.

Personally, I think 33s look really good on 2" of lift. They fill the wheel well properly; here's a picture of how mine sat with just the RC lift.

If you go up to the Superlift, you'll end up looking more like this.

Flowmaster Super 44
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
More lift is the ideal solution. With a Superlift, you'll have no problem clearing that tire; when I ran my modified OME I sat an inch lower than the Superlift and had plenty of clearance on my tires. 285s are actually recommended for the Superlift.

However, I don't think you'll have any problem clearing them on your RC kit with some cutting and hammering. Plus that'll set you up well to clear 35s if you ever do move to the Superlift.

Personally, I think 33s look really good on 2" of lift. They fill the wheel well properly; here's a picture of how mine sat with just the RC lift.
I'm not going to get the superlift; I don't mind having some cutting & hammering done to make them fit;

My main concern now is if these 285/70s will fit on my current rims; Aside from being over an inch more in diameter, they are also .79 inches wider and that concerns me.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-05-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm not going to get the superlift; I don't mind having some cutting & hammering done to make them fit;

My main concern now is if these 285/70s will fit on my current rims; Aside from being over an inch more in diameter, they are also .79 inches wider and that concerns me.
285s shouldn't be a problem on your wheels. 8" is usually the recommended width for 285s; the actual recommended width will vary from tire to tire, but the manufacturer will give a range of wheel widths that they recommend. The Duratracs are recommended for a 7.5"-9" rim, and your 8" rims fall comfortably inside that range.
luckyse7ens and Big Blue like this.

Flowmaster Super 44
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
285s shouldn't be a problem on your wheels. 8" is usually the recommended width for 285s; the actual recommended width will vary from tire to tire, but the manufacturer will give a range of wheel widths that they recommend. The Duratracs are recommended for a 7.5"-9" rim, and your 8" rims fall comfortably inside that range.
@consumedbywater;

You are really a blessing to have around, thank you for giving me that critical piece of the puzzle.

I think it's safe to say that 285/70's are in my future.

Just have to visit my 4x4 shop and find out how much cutting they have to do.
luckyse7ens likes this.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 131,000
Ooh, did somebody say their jeep was going under the knife!?.....(rubbing hands and smiling mischeiviously.......) lmao

Can't wait to see the new creation.... Love these floating bricks we drive..

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
luckyse7ens likes this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
@consumedbywater;

You are really a blessing to have around, thank you for giving me that critical piece of the puzzle.

I think it's safe to say that 285/70's are in my future.

Just have to visit my 4x4 shop and find out how much cutting they have to do.

Doooo eeeeeet.

Its mostly just plastic fender guards that need a bit of massaging. The pinch weld is a really simple fix.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Quote:
Quote:

I was going to say the same thing. Researching the duratracs I saw they fit on the stock 7.5 rim which is great news!

Surely though your going to need to modify your RC lift to get the extra height for the 33s? I thought that everyone’s chat was that there was no way you’d get 33s on just a 2” lift? Even with the pinch weld mod?

BigBlue, what’s your hub to fender measurements?

That’s why I’m looking at the 3/8 spacer and rear isolators or spacer ontop of my future OME lift

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in