Anyone use Firestone Transforce 245/70R17 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anyone use Firestone Transforce 245/70R17

Howdy;
Has anyone tried these tires on a stock '08 Sport? According to the spec sheet on the Tire Rack site, they take 50 pounds of air, and are only rated to 99 mph, BUT they carry 17/32" of rubber in their tread. The specs say they're about two inches larger in actual diameter than the Forteras, 30.6" vs actual 28.5" (Fortera specs say 29.5"); don't know if that will matter. The "70" as opposed to "65", however, might. One reviewer said that they're 10 ply rated, but I suspect he was talking about those which take up to 80 psi, maybe these are 8 ply rated?

Most other "LT" tires I've found have 13/32" tread depth, which is only 1/16" more than the forteras, which I found out today are totally inadequate for my driving. Had the first flat I've had in fifteen years out on the road. Picture a one-legged dude crawling around trying to change the thing, 12 degrees, 10 mph wind, getting dark. If a rancher hadn't happened along, I really don't want to think about what could have happened.

Am I missing something here, or would these Firestones be perfect for my use, which is probably 75% on gravel and offroad, 25% highway? Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited by Betterluckytg; 01-01-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: measured tires, corrected height to actual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

these do not look like they are any better then the forturas

2010 Metallic Black Limited, HEMI, QD2, 1.5 inch Spidertrax,2.25 RR lift,Maxxis 265-75/17s, 4xG Matrix/receiver,bellyguard, front guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Well, a puncture is a puncture regardless of plies or operating pressure.
That being said, what punctured your tire?
First flat in 15 years.....I think you have been most fortunate, especially if you consider how many miles you have travelled over 15 years.
I had my first flat in as many years one week after picking my Commander up.
It was a finish nail, front tire stood it up and rear tire took it.
Damn, I hate repairing a new tire, but at least it was repairable.
But I figured thats my first in just under 3/4 million miles, so like you, the odds were agin' me.
My case, the TPS gave me fair warning and I was able to get to a more convienent spot in time.
Relative to the tire pictured, the tread looks like it would be awful on snow covered roads. I think the tread will load up immediatly. Same response for mud.

My thoughts,
Rob

|
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

re: Transforce

Well, we went to the local dealer this morning and he had the Transforce in stock, as well as Yokohama Geolanders, both 10 ply rated. I agree that the Transforce wouldn't be much of an improvement, just judging from looks. So, we're having 5 of the Yokohamas put on this afternoon. They're rated at 80 psi tops, and the tire guy said he'd run them at about 50, that the ride would be stiffer than it is now, but not bad. I hope he's right.

I couldn't find anything in the tire; I'll ask when they take it off today. The wheel looked okay, no obvious marks anywhere. We drove about 5 miles to get to some pavement after the light went on. Gotta admit that's pretty handy, that TPMS. Was just hoping to make it to a station w/ air...

Looking at the clearance w/ Forturas and adding a little over an inch all the way around, it looks like the new ones will clear, and shouldn't rub anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in