Jeep Commander Forum banner

Sand roads

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Stircrayzy 
#1 ·
2007 QD II stock size tires. kind of a mud /snow /pavement tire. I live in Oregon. Along the coast. My wife is disabled, but loves to go to see the waves, beach, etc. There are some sand covered hard roads, through the dunes, and through the foliage, out to the beach. I am not wishing to go DUNE RUNNING but just go to the water. I understand that I will have to deflate my tires from 36 PSI down.

I presume the TPS will kick on for the low pressure. I am ok with that. I have one of those 12VDC air compressors, that shuts off at the set pressure. So, my question is, how far do I dare lower the pressure. I know underinflated tires will build up heat. I am thinking 20PSI to be the LOWEST to go. Now, those portable air storage cylinders. That hold about 110PSI. About a 5-11 gallon tank. Do those work, worth a darn? Thank you in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
I have never aired down my tires when going on the beach and I have been in some soft sand. Have never used 4Lo on the beach either. Got stuck once but got out with a few tries. QDII is awesome!

Reactions: CP07 and Wombler
#5 ·
They are just all-terrain tires. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.

#4 ·
Less aggressive tires are better on the beach. They won't dig in. I go to the OBX for aweek every year I air down to 20 psi and keep it there until I am ready to leave. Most trips are under 10 miles. I have never had to air down on a Florida beach.

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you. I think, what i will do, is carry my compressor, then if need be, do what i have to do. What about your TPS? it illuminates, i take it?
@Falconeer; Sorry I'm a little late chiming in here, but hopefully this information will still be useful to you;

First off, I would recommend always carrying an air compressor that will plug into your XK's 12V DC power outlets, as part of your normal XK onboard equipment/tools.

As for the TPM Sensor system, you can take your tire pressure down to 28 PSI before your TPM sensors will light up; The TPM sensor tire pressure alert level is set at 28 PSI by default from the factory.

That tire pressure alert level can be adjusted if you have a Superchips 3874 Flashpaq tuner or some other version of it, but the lowest it will allow you to take the TPM sensor tire pressure alert level down to is 22 PSI; The ECU/PCM will not allow you to set it any lower than that.

The other option would be to turn off the TPM sensor system altogether, which you can do with the Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software; Information about that is contained in the link below;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/74613-want-disable-your-tpm-sensors-you-need-appcar-diagfca-obd-ii-software%3B.html

#9 ·
Air up vs down is a no brainer if you have a compressor with you. The difference is night and day in loose sand. On standard firm packed trails and roads though, its not worth the effort, in my opinion. For dune running i usually run about 15psi, traction control off, and yes, QD2 makes things way more fun! I know a lot of guys that go down to 10psi, but ive also seen a couple of them pop tires off being too aggressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.