Some questions for a soon to be XK owner. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Some questions for a soon to be XK owner.

I am looking to get a 2008 Limited XK

My questions are...(and I have been looking on this forum for the past month and keeping notes and going through everything searching and so on... so this is not just looking for a spoon haha)

On stock wheels, what is the largest size tire I can go, with ZERO rubbing... So far 255/70/17 is what I have gathered from posts... if anyone is running bigger please let me know...

with a 2'' lift the largest I have seen was 265/70/17... one person said they did rub one said there was no rub... anyone can confrim this ??

Also this is all on 17's (I havent seen anyone pushing 18's 19's or 20's with bigger Tires (this would likely need more then the 2'' lift right ???

not that I wana rock 20's in chrome with skinny tires or anything but black 20's with some meaty tires are not going to look bad... There was a wrangler by me (I would wager alot more clearance) that has em and it looks awesome...

I would rather not do spacers (I hate how they make things weaker...)
I am also not against getting newer (offset the right way) wheels, like procomps or something or AEV or whatever they are called

So far I tried to find rigs that I really like the look of, but most of them say they rub... if I went 4'' over 2'' would those then not rub ?? or if they were on better offset wheels would they have those issues...

I guess there is alot more to it then that but I am just trying to get ideas thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

In general, the limiting factor in rubbing is the small wheel well. Height puts the center of the wheel lower so that it clears the front and back of the wheel well.
The other area of concern is the ball joint bolt in the wheel well.

Some of us say they have no rub like myself due to the fact that we have cut out the offending area of the plastic wheel well liners as well as cutting or hammering down the protruding pinch welds.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

yea I been trying to follow along and make a list of who has what sizes and what if any cutting and pinch modding they have done...

to be honnest I am having trouble getting psyched about cutting fenderwells... and even more turned off to the hammer/cut of the pinch welds...

I had a 92 cherokee lifted up on 33's and it was good fun but it was also a sloppy mess on the roads and some people were afraid to ride in it hahahah... I want the same kind of (maybe not as bad ass) clearance and ability to take her off road but I dont want to have to hack the crap out of her since it will be my first new(ish) car I buy...

I am set on lifting for sure... 2'' at least... but would I be better off with the 4'' if I am looking for some fat-boy tires... Its hard to get a good prespective on some of the rides... some of them look so burly but state they have obvious rubbing issues... and then some of them look like the tires are a little to skinny for the truck itself, but they have no rub...

I guess its a matter of accepting that I am guna have to do some cut and pound work if I want the fatty stance and the clearance...

There is a navy blue commander on this site... with AEV rims... he's got the 2.25 lift from rockey road and I think shocks done too...

Hes pushing 265/70/17 and it looks pretty sweet but the tires themselves look like a non agressive tread sorta... also he says there is rubbing (tiny bit) the look he's got is sweet... but I would wana go with more agressive tread (i dont care about road noise at all) Also roof rack and tire mounted on the roof look rocks... haha thats what I had on the old rig

I guess I am wondering if the 4 inch lift or spaces added to that size tires would work... and what more agressive tread pattering I can choose.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Check out BIGMEL's setup on the link below - it looks like exactly the setup you are considering, and he's got all kinds of rubbing. I would suggest either the spacers or new wheels if you want to run that size tire with a two-inch lift, unless you can afford the 4" Superlift, which a couple of members are running.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...t=2060&page=12
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

wow, Hagg's your dead on with the look I am going for... both your's and Big Me's are freaking sweeeeet looking... whats sucks is that you both still have rubbing... I am not sure if BigMel would still have rubbing with spidertrax 1.5 spacers tho... Or if I just got new rims that ofset well enough to fit nice...

Both your sets of tires look like they are pretty damn close in size... and both are super agressive tread like I want... You still rub after cutting and pounding so I am guessing that so would big mel ?? even with spacers ??

I am going to want to swap out to black wheels so exchange spacers, for say wheels with correct offset/backspacing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2times View Post
wow, Hagg's your dead on with the look I am going for... both your's and Big Me's are freaking sweeeeet looking... whats sucks is that you both still have rubbing... I am not sure if BigMel would still have rubbing with spidertrax 1.5 spacers tho... Or if I just got new rims that ofset well enough to fit nice...

Both your sets of tires look like they are pretty damn close in size... and both are super agressive tread like I want... You still rub after cutting and pounding so I am guessing that so would big mel ?? even with spacers ??

I am going to want to swap out to black wheels so exchange spacers, for say wheels with correct offset/backspacing
I resolved the rubbing issue, it just took some work (see thread https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7653). I think the rubbing wouldn't have been as much of an issue with a less aggressive tread, but it varies considerably by tire. As for BIGMEL, I don't know if he would still have rubbing with spacers but it would at least not be hitting his ball joint bolt, which cuts into the tread and takes chunks of rubber off the tire.

Last edited by Haags; 01-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haags View Post
I resolved the rubbing issue, it just took some work (see thread https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7653). I think the rubbing wouldn't have been as much of an issue with a less aggressive tread, but it varies considerably by tire. As for BIGMEL, I don't know if he would still have rubbing with spacers but it would at least not be hitting his ball joint bolt, which cuts into the tread and takes chunks of rubber off the tire.

Word, I am not really too scared to do someee trimming... but you got HVAC and coolant lines exposed and hanging right there which scares the shiza out of me!!!

I dont mind cutting a bit or trimming... Spacers would help some rubbing but correct wheel offset would be the same thing and stronger over all then spacers (weaker componant introduced)... I guess what my question is the 2 or 2.5'' lifts dont give enough clearance but what about the 3'' or 3.25'' lift that Rock Krawler offers... would that give me the extra clearance ?

What I am trying to do is get her lifted up, and have sweeeet tires like you got but at the same time not have to hack the entire fender out and have exposed guts (even tho your shield is pretty dope... I would rather not have to do it)

thanks again for all your insight... this forum freaking rocks the house...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7611

Here is a thread to Matt88's setup with a rock krawler 3.5" lift and GY SA tires, I think it looks sick...I'd like the same lift for myself.

07' - Commander - 4.7l - Limited - Light Graystone
Mods: K&N drop in filter - Jeep slush mats - Jeep cargo tray - shorty antenna - FFV debadge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

ok that looks freaking sweet... I just wish that thread had some more info on if it rubs, or he did cutting, or if he confrimed that was the actual size of the tires... haha but It looks like he has ALOT of clearance with that lift... and I realllly like the look of that (with some more agro tires that would look freaking awesome.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in