Tire help needed - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tire help needed

First I want to thank CrzCajun and 07JEEPXK for the help they have provided me thus far.
I have an 06 Commander limited which I purchased new in 06. I haven't made any changes to it thus far and it has everything that came with it from the dealer. That means no lifts, no spacers, etc. I am looking to purchase some new tires as the stock tires, Fortera 245x65x17 have run their course after 33,000 miles.

My stock commander barely fits through my garage doors. This is unfortunate as it prevents me from increasing the height anymore than it is now. I figure I have another inch or so and if necessary I'll have to remove the roof rack. This means I cannot add any lifts to it. I would like to get a larger tire that would fill the wheel well more than the current stock tires do as I don't like the open space in there. This leaves me with few choices. Now onto the tires.

I have read numerous threads here regarding tires, suspension, etc. and after learning so much over the last few days I have narrowed my choice down to 4, really 3 tires. The 3 tires I am looking at are the Perelli Scorpion AT, BridgeStone Revo, and the GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor. The fourth was the Firestone Destination AT but I have moved away from that one.

This thread (sticky) created by 07JEEPXK was very helpful as I learned the available tire sizes for my vehicle. I am leaning toward a tire size of either 245x70x17 or 255x65x17. I realize that these sizes will lift my vehicle about 1/2" above its current height but I think I have enough space through the door to accommodate it. The thread linked above states that these tire sizes will fit on my stock 06 XK and not cause any rubbing without any modifications.
My first question is whether or not these sized tires will fit on the stock rims and also will they fit in the spare tire well underneath the vehicle?
The second question is of the two sizes which would you guys recommend and why?

A couple of other points that matter in the decision. I use my vehicle for everyday highway/city driving and often take long road trips (highway), Very little off-roading if any but won't say never. Nevertheless tires for this feature are not important. Quiet and comfort are pro's for my needs. I also live in NJ so I get some snow and ice and the tire must do well on snow and ice .

I'm hoping you guys can comment on the tires listed above (Pro's/Cons) based on your experience and as they relate to my needs.

I appreciate all the help and feedback I could get.

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Both of the tire sizes you listed will fit on the stock wheels.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the rear of the Commander. If you dont those tire sizes will definately fit in the spare location.

Just my .02 but i'd stay away from the Perelli Scorpion AT's. My step brother has them on his truck and he hates them. Im not sure where your located but he says they absolutely suck in the snow. I guess if you dont have to worry about snow then youd be fine.

I just recently had the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's and absolutely loved them they were an amazing tire. I just wanted something a little more aggressive since I frequently off road. (Once a week)

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
I have the Silent Armors right now, and they're great off road, but I've found them to be rough riding and a little stiff due to the Kevlar sidewalls. When I need new tires I'm going to go with either the Firestone Destination ATs or Bridgestone Dueler REVOs again as I do more highway than off road driving, and they'll do better in DC since that's where I'm moving to this summer.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I like my Silent Armors. They do really well in the snow and ice.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Both of the tire sizes you listed will fit on the stock wheels.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the rear of the Commander. If you dont those tire sizes will definately fit in the spare location.

Just my .02 but i'd stay away from the Perelli Scorpion AT's. My step brother has them on his truck and he hates them. Im not sure where your located but he says they absolutely suck in the snow. I guess if you dont have to worry about snow then youd be fine.

I just recently had the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's and absolutely loved them they were an amazing tire. I just wanted something a little more aggressive since I frequently off road. (Once a week)
Thanks. I'll stay way from the Perelli's. There is snow here in the NE in the winter and I need to account for that. Also, I do not have a trailer hitch so it's good to know those two tire sizes will fit my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr View Post
I have the Silent Armors right now, and they're great off road, but I've found them to be rough riding and a little stiff due to the Kevlar sidewalls. When I need new tires I'm going to go with either the Firestone Destination ATs or Bridgestone Dueler REVOs again as I do more highway than off road driving, and they'll do better in DC since that's where I'm moving to this summer.
Thanks. As mentioned I use my vehicle mostly on the highway for long trips so a comfortable ride is of utmost importance. I'll remove the Silent Armors for that reason unless someone else chimes in with some other information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
I like my Silent Armors. They do really well in the snow and ice.
Thanks, but in your opinion how are they on the highway? Are the comfortable and quiet? Seems like it is coming down to the Revo's and Destinations. Any other comments on the four tires mentioned?

Last edited by chase33; 05-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

They are noisier than the Fortera's for sure but I don't have complaints, but everyone is different in this regard. They say that the Kevlar helps quiet the ride. I don't know. If I wanted a really comfortable quiet ride, I would probably get the Cooper Discoverer H/T again. I had them on my 2002 Grand Jerokee.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Points: 4,720, Level: 43 Points: 4,720, Level: 43 Points: 4,720, Level: 43
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

I have the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on my 06 XK and love them. I've been running on these for about 25,000 miles now. They have taken me 4,500 miles to Moab and back. With about 80 miles off-road in Moab. And another trip to Colorado in January. Living in Northeast Ohio we get plenty of snow and crud. I live in Geauga county and the heart of the snow belt, not uncommon to see 12"'s and more overnight. I haven't experienced any snow that these tires wouldn't get me through. My commute to work is about 40 miles and never missed a day because of snow. They have proven to me to be great off-road and on. Road noise is virtually non existent. Tire wear is excellent but they are rotated every 5,000. When it's time for me to replace these tires for wear it will be a hard sell to change to anything else. Try tirerack.com for all the info you need to aid in your selection. There are some posts about Pirelli and vibration or balancing problems but I haven't experienced this problem. But someone has something bad to say about all the mfgr's. I've had the Destinations and thought they wore horribly and were replaced at 25,000. Good luck!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionCrawler View Post
I have the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on my 06 XK and love them. I've been running on these for about 25,000 miles now. They have taken me 4,500 miles to Moab and back. With about 80 miles off-road in Moab. And another trip to Colorado in January. Living in Northeast Ohio we get plenty of snow and crud. I live in Geauga county and the heart of the snow belt, not uncommon to see 12"'s and more overnight. I haven't experienced any snow that these tires wouldn't get me through. My commute to work is about 40 miles and never missed a day because of snow. They have proven to me to be great off-road and on. Road noise is virtually non existent. Tire wear is excellent but they are rotated every 5,000. When it's time for me to replace these tires for wear it will be a hard sell to change to anything else. Try tirerack.com for all the info you need to aid in your selection. There are some posts about Pirelli and vibration or balancing problems but I haven't experienced this problem. But someone has something bad to say about all the mfgr's. I've had the Destinations and thought they wore horribly and were replaced at 25,000. Good luck!
Thanks ScorpionCrawler. I guess I can't write-off the Perelli's yet. Hopefully others will comment on these and the others.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase33 View Post
Thanks ScorpionCrawler. I guess I can't write-off the Perelli's yet. Hopefully others will comment on these and the others.
My step brother had them on his Ford F150 FX4 with 20 inch wheels. Maybe they sucked on that vehicle due to no weight on the rear end or something to do with the larger wheels. I guess with us being full time four wheel drive it would be a little different. Thats why its good to take more then one persons opinions.

Before I got my REVO's I read some comments online that some people left and they had very bad reviews on them. However the good reviews out weighed the bad so i decided to go with them. Im glad I did because they are the best all terrain tire that i have ever used. I liked them better then the BF Goodrich AT's.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I love my Goodyear Silent Armors. They did good in the snow this winter. As far as road noise, it's a little louder than the stock forteras, but not much at all. With the windows up and the radio on low, I can't hear them. It's a little rougher than the stocks, but no much at all. I am very satisfied with them. I had the BF Goodrich's A/T on my Tahoe and they're about the same as the Silent Armors.

2006 Silver Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, Chrome Fuel Door, Sunroof, Rusty's 2" Lift Kit, Moto Metal M0950 Rims, Goodyear Silent Armor 255/70/17, Front Skid Plate, 4XGuard Belly Skid Plate, RR Supersliders, Chrome Front Tow Hooks, AEM Brute Force Intake, and WeatherTech Floorliners. See Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in