Best Tire Style with 4" Superlift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Best Tire Style with 4" Superlift

I'd really like to hear about the tire choices some of you have made...I plan on keeping the Stock Clad rims.

Im planning on a 4" superlift in about a month and would like hear about your experience likes/dislikes about your choice.

To loud on the road?
Wears down to fast?

My general Over all opinion.......

BFG MT looks good
MTZ MT looks good but might be overkill for 85%/15% Highway to Offroad Usage

Please suggest others..

Thanks

2006 Black Jeep XK 5.7L Limited 4inch Superlift,4x4, Saddle Brown Leather, QDII, REC, DVD,

Mods:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out my garage
[FONT=Arial Narrow]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I have the BFG MT and I love them, they are a little louder but not enough to scare me off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%

The BFG MTs are not as loud as I expected they'd be. You can hear them, but you don't have to turn up the stereo to compensate.

2006 Commander Limited 5.7L Hemi, QDII, 2" Rough Country Lift, 1/4" Rusty's spacer, 255/75R17 BFG Mud Terrains.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Basically you need to decide first if you want an All Terrain or a Mud Terrain. Obviously an All Terrian will have better road manners and last a lot longer due to the tread compound. However there are a few Mud Terrains out there that won't be crazy loud and still have decent road manners. I have the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar and they are actually quiet for a mud terrain. They are also very good on the wet roads which really surprised me. However if you dont plan to off road that often they might be a little overkill as they are very aggressive and wont last nearly as long as an All Terrain. Another big factor is how much money do you plan on spending. The bigger the tire and more aggressive the tire you buy the more money you are going to spend.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 285/70/17 is a nice tire, I need to do some measuring to see if it will fit with the lift but I think it will. Kinda of an expensive tire but looks like it would be quite on the highway, how long have you had your tires and what are they rated at for usage (Miles)

2006 Black Jeep XK 5.7L Limited 4inch Superlift,4x4, Saddle Brown Leather, QDII, REC, DVD,

Mods:

out my garage
[FONT=Arial Narrow]
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 285/70/17 is a nice tire, I need to do some measuring to see if it will fit with the lift but I think it will. Kinda of an expensive tire but looks like it would be quite on the highway, how long have you had your tires and what are they rated at for usage (Miles)

You should have no problems what so ever getting the 285/70R17 MT/R to fit on your XK with a 4 inch lift. I have had the tires since April and have about 5,000 miles on them. Im not sure how many miles they are rated for but mine seem to be wearing normal.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

i have close to 40K on my BFG muds. I'll be replacing the rear tires because when they were up front and i didn't get it aligned until it was too late. my camber was really screwed up and wore out the outside of the tire.

in my opinion the BFG's are the best tire for the money. They wear great, have good road manners, and work good in everything except ice!

i do about 60% on road / 40% off-road with my tires.

Last edited by Get Lost 4X4; 07-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I have some advice that comes from a slightly different direction. I think that any of the large tires may cause you to seriously consider upgrading your Upper Control Arms and especially your front ball joints. I was with Phunkeydude when in my opinion his large and heavy tires literally pulled his ball joint apart on the trail. You can do a search and read the thread on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the big tires are much better for clearance and off road use. Just an old goy giving some advice.

Here is the link:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ighlight=break

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 07-06-2009 at 06:50 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
I have some advice that comes from a slightly different direction. I think that any of the large tires may cause you to seriously consider upgrading your Upper Control Arms and especially your front ball joints. I was with Phunkeydude when in my opinion his large and heavy tires literally pulled his ball joint apart on the trail. You can do a search and read the thread on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the big tires are much better for clearance and off road use. Just an old goy giving some advice.

Here is the link:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ighlight=break
My opinion is his ball joint breakage wasn't primarily due to his large heavy tires. My tires are smaller then Phunkeydude and actually weigh more then his do due to the extra ply of Kevlar. His breakage was due to his extreme angle of his ball joint, which was a result of the extra spacers he used on the front to achieve more lift. Had he not had those spacers in the front end, the ball joint probablly wouldn't have failed. The superlift puts everything back to almost stock configuration. Also he had different ball joints on his commander. They were supoposed to be an upgraded Heavy Duty ball joint but turned out not to be so Heavy Duty after all. For all we know the stock ball joints could have been stronger then the SPC ball joints. This is just my .02 so take it as you will. Just remember, there are other members with the 4 inch superlift running the same size tires as phunkeydude, with no problems what so ever. There have only been a handful of individuals between the XK and WK community that have broke their ball joints and each and every one of the had some sort of extra spacer in the front to achieve more lift.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 PM

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...38&postcount=9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in