Wheel balancing Warning 17" Only. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wheel balancing Warning 17" Only.

I have JK Rubicon wheels on my XK. Rotated them for the 1st time on Sunday and found out, a little too late about my request to use stick-on weights(so the clamp on weights don't dissappear off-road). Well the FRONT caliper clearance is so tight, that the weights now rub on the caliper. I moved the rear to the front. One wheel had stacked weights behind the spokes.

Lesson learned: Don't use stacked stick-on weights mounted behind the spokes. They will have to stack the weights to get the proper distribution....this leads to caliper clearance issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Points: 4,099, Level: 40 Points: 4,099, Level: 40 Points: 4,099, Level: 40
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

good to know...I knew there wasnt much clearence but didnt know it was that tight

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L 4wd Loaded, 2" Daystar spacer lift, rear hitch tow hook, Custom 4" ram air intake, Optima yellowtop battery, semi-custom rock sliders, 245-75-R17 Goodyear Silent Armors, Hidden emergency lights all around (undercover cop look), bug deflector, stick-ons, and MUD occasionally.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My other ride:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I have stick on weights on my rims (stock, painted black), but I also have SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers so they clear just fine.

I wasn't going to go through the trouble of dismounting tires and painting just to chip the paint with wheel weights.

'06 Blacked out, 4.7, 2" RoughCountry lift, SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers, 255/75/17 BFG Mud Terrain, Blacked out and cleared stock rims, Tinted turns and tails, LED interior lighting, Garmin GPS, stealth holster.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGarage View Post
I have JK Rubicon wheels on my XK. Rotated them for the 1st time on Sunday and found out, a little too late about my request to use stick-on weights(so the clamp on weights don't dissappear off-road). Well the FRONT caliper clearance is so tight, that the weights now rub on the caliper. I moved the rear to the front. One wheel had stacked weights behind the spokes.

Lesson learned: Don't use stacked stick-on weights mounted behind the spokes. They will have to stack the weights to get the proper distribution....this leads to caliper clearance issues.

Are you not running wheel spacers? If your not how close are your tires to the ball joint bolt?

I have wheel spacers and a ton of clearance between wheel and caliper now.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Rubicon JK wheels have a lower offset than the XK wheels. I am only running a 1/4" light weight spacer, just enough for the outside of the caliper to clear. No trimming of the upper ball joint stud was necessary with 255/75/17.

The clearance issue is on the top of the caliper, not the outside, where it says "JEEP"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGarage View Post

A couple of things--- First, stick-on weights should never be stacked. They can place them side-by-side or end-to-end, but they should not be placed on top of each other. If more weight is needed at one particular spot, then can place them at the same spot on the wheel, but just slightly inboard of the other weights.

Secondly, any good tire tech should know that a wheel/tire that needs a lot of weights to balance correctly should be dismounted and rotated 180 degrees. This will almost always allow less weights to be used because it will bring the "heavy" spot on the tire more toward the "light" spot on the wheel. This is especially true of truck/SUV tires and wheels. The idea is to match the heavy and light spots to minimize the amount of weight needed to balance the wheel/tire in the first place. This is also the reason why you see red/yellow dots on the tires of new cars. The tires are marked from the manufacturer to allow them to be placed in the best spot on the wheel (usually next to the valve stem) to minimize wheel weights and ease balancing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in