2" Lift with Stock Tires - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2" Lift with Stock Tires

Hey everyone, I've been looking at the 2" lifts for months now and finally have saved enough to buy a set. Only problem is, I'm having some last minute regrets. Seeing as I wont really be able to upgrade my tires any time soon, I've been looking at pictures of 2" with stock tires and it doesn't seem to be a good combo. I know that pictures can never tell the full story, so I wanted some real world opinion. Does it look fairly decent, or does it just turn into an awkward stance? Also, I hit the trails quite often and I'm in need of a little more ground clearance, but I suppose the only way to lift the transfer case and such is through a bigger tire size, so the lift wouldn't help with that too much? Thanks alot, i just need some real views on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

When I first put on my lift, I thought the wheels looked WAY too small. I was wanting to fill in the wheelwell and looked into both larger tires and larger rims, but after looking at some pictures of Commanders with comparable setups, decided that the larger wheels looked like too much. Having a little room in the wheelwell gives it the appearance that the wheel can handle some rough terrain without rubbing (and can too). Right now I'm running stock Forteras and think it looks just fine- looks how it should have from the factory. I did purchase some 1.5" spacers to push the wheels out a bit, but haven't got around to mounting them. I'm also in the process of getting new tires, and am pretty set on a 275/60/17 size, only about one inch larger in diameter, if that's any testament to how much I like the current ratios. Hope that helps.
Just put some socks on your cold feet and get the lift!

(And remember to paint the newly exposed suspension back to black.)

Last edited by Kansas1230; 08-06-2009 at 12:53 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Ooh perfect, just what I needed to hear. And on painting the suspension, would you use an enamel spay paint or something like that?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Hate to say it, but I didn't put any thought into the paint. I got home from work one day and thought "that just doesn't look right." So I grabbed a random can of black semi-gloss off the shelf and just hit the parts I could see. Fully thought it would wear off in a week, but it's still there and looking good. A friend did his muffler (on a different car) with BBQ grill paint (black and heat resistant), and looking back I think it would match the upper control arm perfectly. Kind of industrially dull looking- a good match to stock parts. Good luck with the project!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot man, I looked at your pictures and they look really nice. Ill try the paint, although even if I mess it up somehow, I can just give it a nice mud coat to cover it up my inexperience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in