Uneven tread wear....need your opinions! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Uneven tread wear....need your opinions!

I just noticed today that my passenger side front tire is wearing uneven. It looks different then the normal cupping you would get from a bad alignment or the wear you would get from inproper tire pressure. It is more prominent on the middle lugs and is wearing at an angle from front to rear on each individual lug. I tried searching online and the only thing I could thing of is the tire might be out of balance. Anyone else have this problem? Its only noticeable on the one tire.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

I assume you have been rotating your tires? Bad strut causing excessive bounce?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander 3.7L QTI, Front tow hook(rear hook from a TJ!) Mopar tank skid, overboard on board air.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I have not seen a tire wear like that before, however I have not ever know anyone who has had a tread pattern like the one on the tires you have. I think it may have something to do with the style of the tread but I cannot say what the exact cause is.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Not sure the cause, but I would try to rotate more often and check the balance. Also, you might get a friend to drive next to you to observe the tire at various speeds.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderChaos View Post
I assume you have been rotating your tires? Bad strut causing excessive bounce?
I try to rotate my tires every 2000-3000 miles and just recently rotated them about a week ago. My struts are shot, however I believe that both front tires would be wearing like this and not just the passenger side. Also that tire had just been rotated from the passenger side rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamag25 View Post
I have not seen a tire wear like that before, however I have not ever know anyone who has had a tread pattern like the one on the tires you have. I think it may have something to do with the style of the tread but I cannot say what the exact cause is.
Dont you think all the tires would wear like that if it had something to do with that type of tread pattern?

I also noticed that it looks like the wheel weight had been pushed about a half inch back as you can see the mark from where it had been before. Its the same wheel that I beat up pretty bad at Rausch Creek on the rocks where I damaged the end off of the valve stem.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

The combination of the tread pattern and another issue like balance or alignment may make the issue worse than just one or the other. I am just guessing since I have no actual evidence or experience to back up the tread issue. It couldn't hurt you to have it thrown up on an alignment machine every now and then considering the amount of wheeling that you do.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Maybe tomorrow ill take the XK to get the tires balanced and see if that helps out any. I want to wait to get the alignment done as I plan to buy new Bilstien stuts/shocks in a few weeks.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Points: 1,476, Level: 21 Points: 1,476, Level: 21 Points: 1,476, Level: 21
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I would say your struts would cause that if bad, that would wear the middle of the tire like that. And the truck bounce around alot.

I would upgrade to some Bilstein HD's struts and shock. Expensive, but have a lifetime watt. Then alignment and balance etc.

Keep it off road and your tires won't wear so bad!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
I would say your struts would cause that if bad, that would wear the middle of the tire like that. And the truck bounce around alot.

I would upgrade to some Bilstein HD's struts and shock. Expensive, but have a lifetime watt. Then alignment and balance etc.

Keep it off road and your tires won't wear so bad!
Well thats the plan eventually. Its going to cost a little over $400 for Bilstiens on all four corners. Ill be going with the the HD Struts up front 5150's in the rear with 10 inches of travel.

I try to keep it off road as much as possible but unfortunately its impossible to get from one place to another without driving on black top....

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Using your info it sounds like you are rotating ft to rr and not crossing.
This results in what is called cupping which is what a tread develops if its load forces, specifically on acceleration are always in one direction.
The larger and fewer the tread blocks, the more tendency for this to occur.
Tread squirm causes the trailing edge of the tread block to deform and cause the trailing edge of the block to wear faster than the leading edge, like the tread in the photo.
To show what happens (non-scientific, but interesting) take a new wooden pencil with a new eraser.
Drag the new eraser, while holding pencil straight up, across a sheet of paper in one direction. Put some downforce on it to slightly deform the eraser while dragging it across.
While doing this, note the leading edge is being pulled away and the trailing edge is following. Do this about ten strokes and look at the eraser rubber.
You will see that the leading edge is now sifnificantly shorter than the trailing edge.
You have now demonstrated cupping that occurs if wear is presented in one direction.
If you now turn the long side into your leading side and repeat the test, the eraser wear will even out.
Same applies to a tread block.
The forces on the tread block are the same during brake application as well, sometimes even worse depending on how hard a stop you are making.
This is why the manual wants the rears crossed while moving to the front axle and the fronts moved straight back, maintaining the direction, but because the fronts turn and wear the edges off, by installing them to the rear the tire has a chance to even the center wear with the shoulder wear.

So.....Am I correct about not crossing?

Misalignment will show as extreme shoulder wear and tread feathering towards inside or outside of the tread blocks.
Imbalance will show as a rather large area of tread wear about 8/10" circle in the center of the tread. This is from the heavy spot slamming into the road at high speed and of course, you would feel it through the chassis.

Good luck,
Rob

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in