Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status of stalling on 2007 Commanders?

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  TR4Runner 
#1 ·
I am considering picking up a new 2007 Commander for my wife and 15 mo old daughter. However, the stalling problem is a concern from a safety standpoint. In a search I saw a poster had the same concern last January. However, I have not seen any posts regarding issues with recent 2007 model year Commanders. Any idea what the current status is on new Commanders?Also, how rampant is the problem with the 2007's?

Thanks!

#5 ·
07 Commander Stalling Problems

I have had an 07 Commander since June of this year. My car suddenly stalled today, out of nowhere. I was going around a corner, and I lost all power. No power steering, no nothing, and a school bus was right in back of me. I was able to maneuver my car out of the way of the bus. I started it back up, and all was well. After reading other posts about people hitting their keys, and turning off their ignition, I wonder if I did that, or did it just stall, because I honestly don't remember. Anyway, I called my local dealer, who recommended me to service, which I will call tomorrow. I really love driving this car, but I'm so nervous after what happened today.

#7 ·
Stalling

I bumped my key twice now while getting comfortable before driving. I noticed that my knees are higher then my wifes when seated in the drivers seat. She has never experienced "bumpping the key." If you have a bunch of keys dangling from a key ring, key fobs etc etc you are more likely to have this occur. Just a little something to keep in mind.

#11 ·
I've got an '06 4.7L that has about 36K miles on it, and it has stalled 4 times in its life. I've reported the incident to the dealer (which could not find anything wrong) and to the NHTSA, just to create a record. Luckily it has only stalled when I've been going very slowly (i.e. slowing to a stop sign or crawling around a turn).
I've heard speculation that it is a simple change but requires a change to the vehicle emissions system, so it is taking a while to implement and get approved. Other than that issue, it's been a fantastic vehicle.

#12 ·
Looks like I could copy the above post (I will, partially):

I've got an '06 4.7L that has about 12K miles on it, and it has stalled 2 times in its life. I've reported the incident to the dealer (which could not find anything wrong) and to the NHTSA, just to create a record. Not sure what happened but it hasn't happened for a while (at least 2 months).

#13 ·
I have had my Commander for approximately 3 weeks now and on two different occasions i have accidently hit the keys with my knee causing the vehicle to shut off. Both times i was in my parking lot and was repositioning myself before i got ready to take off. When im normally driving down the road my knees are like inches away from the ignition.

#14 ·
Stalling Problem

Unfortunately, my Commander stalled again out of nowhere. I had my car in park this time on the corner of my street. I got out of the car, with the engine running, to go to the corner, which is right there, and get mail out of my mailbox. As I walked back, the car suddenly stopped running again. I have only had this car for 2 1/2 months. I know the car will disable the engine when starting the car with the button, and it will disable itself after running in park for 15 minutes, but are there any other reasons why it would do this? I definately did not have the car in park running for 15 minutes. It was maybe 5 at the most. The first time the engine did this, I thought perhaps I might've hit the key. This time, I absolutely did not do this. I am calling the dealership tomorrow, being that this is the 2nd time in a week.

#15 ·
The 2001 Ford Escape had a similar stalling problem I believe the problem lasted well into the 2002 model year of the Escape. Eventually, Ford fixed it with a reflash of the PCM. I wonder if the same thing would help here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.