Crackedup's Garage - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
MyGarage Want to tell us about what vehicles make up your garage? Post em up in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,442, Level: 29 Points: 2,442, Level: 29 Points: 2,442, Level: 29
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Crackedup's Garage

So I just ordered RC lift after seeing they updated it to a true 2" up front. But I was torn between tire sizes, spacers/rims. So this next little section is for me to quickly look at the differences and/or pros & cons of each one.

Following Tires fit 2"+ lift without spacers
245/65R17 (Stock) $168 ea.
6.27" - Sidewall Height
9.65" - Section Width
29.54" - Overall Diameter
Notes: 57 different tire choices from the rack.

245/70R17 $177 - $189 ea.
6.75" - Sidewall Height
9.65" - Section Width
30.5" - Overall Diameter
With this tire I would gain 0.48" height, width the same, 0.96" Dia.
Notes: Not much of a gain in ride height but gets me a few more tire choices @ 67 and the addition of more aggressive tread patterns. This would be the next best thing to stock size.

245/75R17 $187 - $192 ea.
7.23" - Sidewall Height
9.65" - Section Width
31.47" - Overall Diameter
Now getting into a better gain in height with a 0.96" difference over stock. Almost a full inch gain.
Notes: Better ride height, with the same width as stock. With this I almost get the same height gain as the 265/70R17 tires, which has a 0.07" advantage, not much. The width stays the same as stock. With this combo spacers are not needed on stock rims saving some money at the time of purchase. This will also go through the WV snows really well with the narrow width. I loose in tire choices though with only 28, but more aggressive patterns are still available than stock.

255/65R17 $177 ea.
6.53" - Sidewall Height
10.04" - Section Width
30.05" - Overall Diameter
Gain of 0.26" ride height, & wider than stock with a 0.39" gain in width.
Notes: Just around a 1/4" gain in height. Tire choices go down to 27 and loose aggressive MT type tires but still a few good choices.

255/70R17 $178 ea.
7.03" - Sidewall Height
10.04" - Section Width
31.06" - Overall Diameter
Back up to a 31" tire with a 0.76" gain in height, & the width increases 0.39".
Notes: Tire choices go way down to 12 w/no MT's. This is probably a really nice looking size with a 2" lift.

Now getting into spacers & possible modification of the fender well cover and pinch weld.
255/75R17
7.53" - Sidewall Height
10.04" - Section Width
32.06" - Overall Diameter
Whoo hoo, 32" tire with just over 1-1/4" gain in clearance.
Notes: Tire choices are still low @ 14, but MT's are back. This is the tallest tire listed for the budget lifts.

265/65R17 $179 ea.
6.78" - Sidewall Height
10.43" - Section Width
30.56" - Overall Diameter
Gain of 1/2" clearance over stock.
Notes: Tire choices go back up to 51 choices but I don't see any MT's. AT's are listed however. Would probably give that wide tire look with the lower sidewall and wider stance.

265/70/17 $185 - $229 ea.
7.3" - Sidewall Height
10.43" - Section Width
31.61" - Overall Diameter
Gain of 1.03" of height.
Notes: By far the most tire choices @ 104. That should cover anything & everything you need. Depending on tread design you will probably have to do some fender well work to cure rubbing.

I know there is allot more tire choices out for each size, I just wanted one place to go to get somewhat of an idea. Prices, yes you could probable get better deals elsewhere, again, just wanted one place to get a comparison. By the way, I used Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor type tires for the price comparisons. Prices listed above with a range just means the different load ratings, speed ratings, what have you.

After looking for a few days at my options I do believe I'm going to go with Goodyear DuraTrac's in the 245/75R15 size. I think this size with the width & height will be perfect for me. I like the width for snow, & if I air down for any offroading I should get a decent wide track. The plus with this tire is that if I go with spacers over rims, I can purchase them at a later date an still run the tires with the lift & stock rims. If I go with new rims I think the ATX Crawl (ATX 185) in a 17x8, 0 offset, 4.5" backspace is what I will go with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Rough Country Lift just showed up

Edited entire post. Basically took out pics of the lift pieces to save some room. If you would like to view them, here is a link.
http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/r...Lift%20Pieces/

Last edited by crackedup; 01-01-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: moved photos to photobucket
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

If your going to go off road with any frequency I would go with the tallest tire you can get which I have done. Ground clearance IMO being the most important factor in fording snow mud trails and rocks. If tire width is important then get the spacers or I recommend getting new wheels with the off set to fit the width you want but getting as close to the 32" max tire size as you can get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input SAL, I will defiantly think on it a little more as I still have time before I pull the trigger on tires. I'm not looking for a real fat tire, much rather have a narrower one. Our roads in the winter get extremely slusshy, & the narrow tread/tire width really slices through slush. My offroading is limited, but additional ground clearance never hurts.

It looks like the 255/75R17 is the tallest that is listed on the sticky I pulled the sizes from, unless of course I drop a grand & some change for a bigger lift. But it looks like the most popular size of users is the 265/70R17, but if i go with the 245/75R17 I get the narrower tire along with near the same height.

Your advise is noted, & as I said I will definitely think about the sizes. Appreciate it SAL.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Wide tires dont do well in the rain, narrow tires don't do well in the
sand and mud. I would like to have 2 sets of tires, stock size for
for normal and winter driving, wider set for mud and climbing.

I went with the 245/75 with a 2" lift and 1.5 spacers.
Spacers=Cool
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

So I figured I better get some pics of my bone stock commander up, so I snapped a couple pics with my phone from my office window.

Commander & Trail Blazer. Thought this would be a good comparison for later. By the way, thats the screen in the window you can see in this photo.

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time."

Last edited by crackedup; 12-02-2010 at 10:43 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

crackedup,
Because the front strut is attached almost mid-point to the lower control arm the ratio of lift at the spindle is just short of double the spacer thickness.
So, you will realize much more actual lift than the front spacers width.

Rob
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Maybe you should put up a few more stock pics...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Figured I would post up a few more pics and stuff. I'm going to try to get some better pics as soon as I get more time. Work has been keeping me busy, always good, and the weather has been pretty bad.

Snapped this photo a few days ago after getting my new tires installed.

Today was a nice day, and I didn't have to work. So I took advantage of this day & installed my CAI, CB, Antenna, and messed with the Superchip tuner a little tweeking shift points.

First the CAI.

another

Now my CB & antenna install. My brother got me a K40 for Christmas and I already had my old Cobra 29 Classic, and it is a classic. Its a lip mount, so I decided the best place for it is on the hood next to my windshield on the driver side. Don't know why I didn't take a picture of it, try to tomorrow. Anyway here is some install pics.

I took the plastic kick panel off the driver side and found a fairly thin spot right behind the panels mounting area. Those long slots are for the the kick panel clips.

I drilled a hole using an existing slot in the mounting area. Drilled straight through into the door seal area. Not on the seal, but in the area. You can see how the slot has a little area from the drill bit. I ran the coax up inside that mounting bracket shown in the above pic. The cable is actually in the pic above, just cant see it in that pic.

In the pic below you can kinda see where the actual hole is in relation to the lower door hinge. I also installed a rubber grommet to keep stuff from getting in. Because of the angle of the pic, it looks like the hole is on the seal, its not. I'm going to try to get better pics of this area tomorrow.

Last edited by crackedup; 01-01-2011 at 10:53 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Now the CB itself. I saw someone else on here mounted a CB in this same location. I liked it, and the size of the 29 limits mounting options. I did it a little different though. I didn't want to drill into the plastic cover on the backside of the center console. I also didn't think it would be sturdy enough. So when I snapped the cover off I noticed the mounting tabs for the plastic, and I believe the factory VES system was pretty sturdy, and the mounting bracket for the CB is almost the same size. Perfect. I drilled a couple new holes in the bracket to fit the span. The size of the 29 almost covers up this entire area, I don't think it looks too bad.

Pic of the mounting bracket installed on the factory mounting slots.

Pic of the 29 installed. As you can see, there is not much nasty open area after the CB is installed. I still have to tune it, that's tomorrows project, and maybe a trip to Cabela's.

Last edited by crackedup; 01-01-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post > MyGarage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in