Jeep Commander Forum banner

3.7 Towing

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  07JeepXK 
#1 ·
I just leased a 3.7 Commander for my wife, as I just traded in her Ram. Yeah I know I should have gotten a 4.7, but the 3.7 was over $100/month cheaper. I was hesitant to lease one with a 3.7, but having owned a Libby before and having the 4.7 in my Ram I had a pretty good feel for the engines. The one issue I have is that I have a 4000 lb boat to tow. I don't generally tow it more than a mile to the ramp, but I will tow it about 200 miles once or twice a year.

The salesman said that the Commander with the 3.7 will tow 5000 lbs. I see on the Jeep website it lists 3500. Which is correct? The commander does not have the tow package, but I will be installing an OEM hitch. Will I need to add a HD tranny cooler? That seems to be the one thing that adds to the towing capacity of alot of vehicles. I know that my 02 Liberty was able to to 5000 lbs with the same engine and I can't believe the Commander would be able to tow less.

#3 ·
sparty2 said:
The salesman said that the Commander with the 3.7 will tow 5000 lbs. I see on the Jeep website it lists 3500. Which is correct?
Both are correct. The 2wd is rated to tow 5800 lbs and the 4wd is rated at 3500 lbs.

#5 ·
sparty2 said:
I am not real familar with 4x4 systems. Why does the capacity drop 2300 lbs going from 2WD to 4WD?
I don't really know. Maybe has to do with the strain on the drive train ? Anybody ?

#6 · (Edited)
Only drops from 7400 lbs (2wd) to 7200 lbs (4wd) with the 5.7L HEMI.

#7 ·
Generally the more equiptment (4X4) you put on a vehicle the less you can tow or haul.Its a weight thing.For a short distance occasionally you should be fine, the manufacturer has to cover warranty issues if you were towing 5k all the time, you could have a problem.definately get the cooler -43:)

#8 · (Edited)
After calling my salesman and informing him that the Commander he leased to me did not have the towing capacity he told me it did, I was able to get the dealership to let me turn in the 3.7 for one with a 4.7 with a few more options for only $30/month more. Picked it up today in fact :) so no more capacity concerns.

#9 ·
Good for you !

#11 ·
Who says size does not matter?

#12 ·
Usually towing concerns are drive train strength and braking strength. Both of which are also related to towing vehicle weight. Either way, now you don't have to worry about it! Sounds like a sweet deal! Congrats!

#13 · (Edited)
Here is my towing experience from last week.
Hauled a YJ wranger 160 miles driving into a 35-40 mph head wind.
Weighed 10,880 combined pounds.
Cruised on the interstate at about 65 mph. That wind was terrible but i still made it ok. there were a few very steep grade hills where i shifted down and slowed to about 55 mph, but it was not a problem. Otherwise no issues. No transmission temp issues.
No mechanical issues at all.
For anyone doing occasional heavy towing, the 3.7 worked just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBv0Uv8Wm7o

#14 ·
Towing is all about gears. Swap out the 3.07 gears you have for some 3.73's and youll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.