Jeep Commander Forum banner

Factory nav question: gets "lost" at times

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rwmorrisonjr 
#1 ·
My REC NAV unit tends to get "lost" at times. I'll be driving along and my nav will show me as being somewhere completely different, even as far as five miles away from my current location heading in the wrong direction. This will go on for as long as 15 minutes and the will correct itself.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, do I need to activate anything in the CANBUS system to let the system know that a factory NAV system has been installed? I'm just asking as this might be what's needed to fix the problem.

#3 ·
Only weird thing I have happen is that when I drive on the Loop 202 near my house it looks like I am plowing through fields and houses. But that is only because Navteq's last update wasn't very up-to-date and it's missing this major freeway in the Phoenix area.

The system itself has only got me going the wrong direction twice. And if I had just listened to her weird directions I would have found they were accurate. Instead I thought I knew better and went my own way... only to find myself going back the way I came a few minutes later.

#4 ·
You may want to try two things:

1: Re-Calibrate your system (see manual on how to do this).

2: Time to update your DVD (see link below).

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...=ZC8KCggQlcgAAAEOQhYZ6UI8&ShowAllProducts=YES

My system has only seemed inaccurate one time ... Driving through Greensboro, NC - and that was because they completly re-routed I-85 through the area. Other than that it always gets me there. :D

#5 ·
Has not happened to us, however it sometimes does not pick the shortest route to get from point A to point B. By the way does anyone know if there is any software upgrades out there for factory NAV unit?

#6 ·
Ranger6882 said:
Has not happened to us, however it sometimes does not pick the shortest route to get from point A to point B. By the way does anyone know if there is any software upgrades out there for factory NAV unit?
Current version (last I checked was the AE version). You can check Navteq's web site to find the newest version.

#7 ·
Had the dealer check it out, found nothing wrong. It started working once i got closer to home, so I'm wondering if all the satellite stuff at the air force base (space command) is interfering with the system. Sounds goofy, but it only happens when I'm near the base or their doing some ops with the dishes.

#9 ·
rwmorrisonjr said:
Had the dealer check it out, found nothing wrong. It started working once i got closer to home, so I'm wondering if all the satellite stuff at the air force base (space command) is interfering with the system. Sounds goofy, but it only happens when I'm near the base or their doing some ops with the dishes.
What version of DVD do you have in NAV?

I had the same issues and took it in. The tech could not figure out what was wrong. He then made the mistake of popping in the last version of DVD and the NAV updated itself and started working normally again. Then he tried putting my old version DVD back in and NAV refused to use it because it was older version. Dealer was forced to send me home with FREE upgrade. :)

#11 ·
rwmorrisonjr said:
I'm using the AE DVD, which is the latest. It seems to be working better now, but I'm still keeping an eye on it in case it goes screwy again.
Anyone know when Navteq is going to be releasing the next version? The AE version has been out over a year now and was out of date by the time it was published.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.