Jeep Commander Forum banner

Vented Air Temperature

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cico7 
#1 ·
The weather is nice out these days and I like to drive with the air off and vent on. The air coming out of the vent is noticeably warmer than the outside air. (using the setting with the arrow pointing at drivers chest/head). Anyone else notice this? It's very frustrating, almost like the heat control knob isn't turned all the way down.

I pulled the knob off and turned the actual remaining dial the rest of the way down and that just made it go to max heat. That was a big surprise.

Anyway, just seeing if anyone else has the problem.

#3 ·
I haven't had real honest to gosh outsided vented air since my 1972 Plymouth Satellite Station Wagon. It's vent controls controls were seperate from the from the fan and heat. And every car since that experience, no matter what the dial indicated was putting out just a trickle of heat to full blast furnace mode. I thought my experience was typical, its not?

The Satellite had a knob low on the dash which you pulled out opening a channel of fresh air aimed directly at your crotch, perfect. So simple, why it has disappeared baffles me.

#5 ·
Ah yes, the old cable operated side mount forward facing vents---50's Studebaker style.

Or, vent windows that you could swing forward and blast yourself in the face!

Best vent, now-a-days, are sun roofs &/or vent visors.

#9 ·
YB Normyl said:
It does seem warmer than the outside air, I wonder if it has anything to do with the hot air from under the hood passing over the cowl where it can get sucked into the car.

Yes it does. The fresh air is sucked in through the cowl vents and then channeled through the HVAC system, which means that it gets sucked past the heater core. There's a motorized door that the thermostat controls which controls the amount of air that goes past the core. Unfortunately, the door is thin plastic so heat does radiate through it so it does heat up the air a little. That, combined with the fact that the air has to travel through the ductwork (no direct path) means that the vented air is always several degrees warmer than the outside air.

That's why I like my Bronco II: vent windows and straight through ventilation. Allows me to vent out the exhaust leaks better!

#10 ·
I just use the windows and roof for my vent. With just the right tweaking, its not too loud and not too hard on the hair (for the wife). I would like to have had some back window venting ability.

#13 ·
rwmorrisonjr said:
My 4Runner had the electric rear window option, it was a nice feature. I wish the rear side windows could be cracked open as on some other SUV's so I could have the flow-through ventilation.

This is an old thread, but I just realized that you are a former 4Runner owner. What year was your 4Runner?

And BTW, every 4Runner ever built to date has an powered rear window, so it's technically not an option;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.