Jeep Commander Forum banner

Starting Issue - Finally a solution....

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Creek 
#1 ·
I've posted a few times about the starting issue that I was having and many of us have with our Commanders.

Suggestions for repair have included replacing the starter (usually multiple times) and the Front Control Module (FCM), there is a service bulletin for these on the early Commanders.

Well, I took my Jeep in to Catherine's Auto Repair in Atlanta and they fixed the problem. It was basically the wiring from my solenoid -- so they were able to cut and reconnect the wires for about $150 and it's started flawlessly ever since. I had this done at about 113K and currently have 117K.

This is a recurring problem I've had since I purchased the Jeep at 75K. At first it was only occasional, then seemed to happen about every 1,000 miles, then got to the point where it was pretty much every time I tried to start the car.

And, when I did try to start the car I would often have to turn the key *literally* 100-200 times before the car would crank.

Anyway, the solenoid wiring was the culprit in my case...I thought I would pass that along since I know a lot of others are having the same issue, as I did.....

See less See more
#3 ·
This is a common problem, I had it in 06 and after 3 new starters, and a new dealership, they replaced the wiring harness and I have not had a problem since. Just turned 130,000 while on the beach in Avon NC. Glad your is fixed jbh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.