Jeep Commander Forum banner

Driveline shudder when cold

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cobrakillerta 
#1 ·
I recently picked up an '06 Overland (HEMI, QDII) which has 85k miles on it after my last '06 Overland was totaled a couple of months ago.

When the driveline is still cold/before the fluids warm up I'm getting a pretty decent shudder while backing out of my driveway and tight turns. The sharper the turn, the more significant the shudder is. After driving a few miles the shudder is completely gone.

I've changed the fluid in both diff's and the transfer case with the appropriate fluids and additives. Fresh fluid has not made any improvement.

I've been told that it's probably the transfer case, but I feel it more in the front-end and it feels like it may be the front diff. It was recommended that I put a bottle of the diff. additive in the transfer case, has anyone ever done this?

Anyone ever have this shudder problem or have any recommendations?

#3 ·
How cold? I bought the truck mid-December and the temperature here in NY was still decent. It's done it since I bought it (through a dealer auction). It is more noticeable when it gets VERY cold here, but it's pretty consistent and completely goes away once the truck is driven a few miles and the driveline fluids warm up.

#6 ·
QDII has limited slip differentials, the axle fluid has friction modifier added to it to preven the clutches in the differential from making noise and engaging too harshly.

I've seen more than one folk with QDII post about this problem, then reported fresh axle fluid with the proper friction modifier added to it solved the problem. The cold is likely making the problem worse till the fluid warms up.

Check what you're Owner Manual says, I "think" it says for the severe duty schedule to change the axle fluid every 15k miles, for normal service I "think" it says you don't have to change the axle fluid. If you drive like a little old lady, only sunny spring days, you can use the normal service schedule. You off road, drive in snow, drive more than once or twice in severe cold, drive short distances everyday, etc, you should use the severe duty schedule.

Personally for myself I use the severe duty schedule, BUT, my driving and conditions fall just short of that, so I'm modify it a bit with the axle fluid change, I'd go broke changing axle fluid that often. I use AMSOIL axle fluid and change it every 60k miles.

Remember use what the OM says, I "think" its Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil and Mopar Friction Modifier of a certain amount.

#7 ·
I have already changed both diff's and the transfer case with the appropriate fluids and additive a few weeks after getting the truck to try to remedy the shudder, to no avail.

It's not an issue of incorrect fluids or a need for a fluid change. This is my 3rd WK and I've always done my own work on all of my cars, I've done all of the fluid changes on a WK plenty of times now.

#8 ·
yeah, mine does the same thing. And I've replaced the fluids with the correct fluids and modifier, etc.
What I'm feeling actually feels more like a bad CV than a diff problem. And it's worse when I turn. (Yours too?) But as soon as it's warmed-up, it goes away. COLD around here is probably alot like there. when it gets below about 10d, it starts doing it. Above that I'm fine.

#9 ·
Yup, going straight it's fine, the moment I turn I get the shudder and it gets more intense the sharper the turn is. As soon as all the driveline fluids warm up it's gone.

If it's 50 degrees or -10 out, I still get it, it's just a little more intense the colder it gets. But, no matter what the temp is, it's still there.

I don't think it's a CV (although I wish it was, as that's a stupid easy fix). I say that because of the fact that it goes away once everything warms up.

#10 ·
I don't think it's a CV (although I wish it was, as that's a stupid easy fix). I say that because of the fact that it goes away once everything warms up.
yup. I completely agree.
I'll be honest: we're having a "heatwave" out here right now.... typically we're in negative numbers this time of the year. But this year we're hitting 70d during the day, and not even below freezing at night. So I haven't seen this problem since December when it was dipping into single digits at night. so it's been low on the radar.

#11 ·
I noticed it with a 2007 I just bought on Saturday. It has the 5.7l and QDII. With the wind chill it was about -10 bellow zero, For the first mile it felt like I was driving on a washboard. As soon as the drive train and tires warmed up a little it was gone. I assumed it was just because everything was so frozen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.