Jeep Commander Forum banner

Why doesn't Jeep do this?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  CrzCajun 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yeah, why doesn't Jeep do this. I would volunteer. Not only are you doing a good deed, but you're also getting some free training.

#4 ·
This is really nice. FEMA has a certification process you can do online and then I think there is a class afterward. My brother in law did it along with his family.

Nice program. I worked once with a local task force regarding terrorism and preparedness, who later became part of the local Homeland Security. There is a need for local groups to form or even just learn from local sources. But it also seems a lot of people want to protect thier own turf and only few people get to participate. So I ask our LEO's how do everyday Joe's get involved without stepping on toes?

#6 ·
Its a great idea. There was something like it in Colorado - I forget what it was called - but it was an on-call Search and Rescue Group that would go up in the mountains when someone got lost. It wasn't vehicle specific, just anyone with a capable 4x4. Kinda like the Civil Air Patrol, but on the ground. =)

#7 ·
From what I read this was spearheaded in my hometown, South Bend, Indiana. The Hummer Plant was about a 5 min walk from my High School in Mishawaka and is where all H1, Millitary H1, and H2 Hummers are made. There is as much local love for the Hummer as there is with Notre Dame (obviously I don't care for either). I am glad that this is a nation wide program, because if it was centralized here the only thing they would be doing is pulling people out of snow drifts. Most Hummer owners here are too afraid to get their pants dirty anyways.

#8 ·
I plan on giving my name to several area hospitals and our property owners association to volunteer rides to those who need it if the weather gets crappy here.

I live in what was supposed to be a retirement community so we have a very large population of elderly residents who may require getting to grocery stores or doctors offices or what not.

Even if you cannot do it on a national level, I am sure your local community would appreciate the help if they can get it.

#9 ·
Fohn_Jargo said:
I plan on giving my name to several area hospitals and our property owners association to volunteer rides to those who need it if the weather gets crappy here.
Great idea, but I think you would get shot down due to "liability issues" if they gave your name out....let me know what happens. I have volunteered before, nothing became of it because of....liability issues....my son couldnt empty trashcans at school for those same elusive issues...perhaps one of our legal friends could tell us about good samaritan statutes and how they might apply..though each state could be different.

#10 ·
I belong to a jeep club in S. Fla. Several of our members actually do belong to a "Rescue" operation. It is sponsored by a Federal Agency and requires you undergo training (free) before you can join. Ours is mainly for operations after Hurricanes and jeeps with winches are highly desirable. john

#12 ·
cico7 said:
Great idea, but I think you would get shot down due to "liability issues" if they gave your name out....let me know what happens. I have volunteered before, nothing became of it because of....liability issues....my son couldnt empty trashcans at school for those same elusive issues...perhaps one of our legal friends could tell us about good samaritan statutes and how they might apply..though each state could be different.
When we get heavy snow in northern virginia, they announce on the news that they are looking for volunteers to pick up doctors at their home to bring them to the hospital.

#13 ·
I thought the article said the Red Cross became hesitant again because of Liability Issues to use the volunteers. I am all for volunteer work for something like this....maybe they just didnt like me when I volunteered :(
oh well, whatever it takes, me too!

#14 ·
Insurance companies rule the world. Can't even do a good deed because you arn't covered. Ok then let the people suffer or die then sue the insurance company.

Sorry. The wife is a DR. in the emergency room and told me today that she had to send people home last night. People that she would never have sent home before just because the insurance companies won't pay and people won't stay if the insurance won't cover them. Just minor stuff like broken bones ripped through their skin, strokes, mild heart attacks, just minor stuff...
Sorry again about the rant.....

#17 ·
Back in the day (early 90's) I was part of a phone group in Philadelphia that transported doctors and nurses to work in bad snow conditions. I used my CJ-7. It was great fun, every time it snowed I would get a call about 1 in the morning and would drive people back and forth for a few hours. I would love to be able to assist, esp. after hurricanes now that I live in Florida.

#18 ·
CrzCajun said:
When we get heavy snow in northern virginia, they announce on the news that they are looking for volunteers to pick up doctors at their home to bring them to the hospital.
Thats because everytime its snows in N/VA everyone forgets how to drive, which is funny...b/c it SNOWS THERE EVERY YEAR!

#19 ·
JJSEBASTIAN said:
Insurance companies rule the world. Can't even do a good deed because you arn't covered. Ok then let the people suffer or die then sue the insurance company.

Sorry. The wife is a DR. in the emergency room and told me today that she had to send people home last night. People that she would never have sent home before just because the insurance companies won't pay and people won't stay if the insurance won't cover them. Just minor stuff like broken bones ripped through their skin, strokes, mild heart attacks, just minor stuff...
Sorry again about the rant.....
My wife is a nurse in a hospital, Intensive Rehabilitation Unit. The majority of her patients are Medicare. The "rules" allow so many days for a patient to be Rehabbed to be able to care for themselves at home. Trouble is people arent machines and they dont heal etc alike. Some faster some slower. The faster ones wont go home until their TIME runs out, the slower must be pushed out even if unable to care for themselves and then into a nursing home. Possibly never being fully rehabbed. They have taken all decisions out of a Drs. hands,now some clerk decides BY THE BOOK whether you are well or not. jdn

#20 ·
my800 said:
Thats because everytime its snows in N/VA everyone forgets how to drive, which is funny...b/c it SNOWS THERE EVERY YEAR!
That ain't no lie!!! We go through the same thing when it hasn't rained in a while also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.