Jeep Commander Forum banner

Keys ... can I use a FOBIK and a regular transponder?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 · (Edited)
Keys ... can I use a remote transponder key and a non remote transponder key?

I have one OEM transponder key with remote and one aftermarket.
Both start the car and operate everything.

I'd like to get an additional transponder key like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121707364270?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
...and have it programmed to start the Jeep.

This way, when I go to wet places, I have a sealed key I can bring with me and throw in my pocket, leaving the remote key back in the Jeep.

I'm thinking a plain transponder key over a simple blade "just in case" ... so I can leave it hidden inside someplace.

But I want to make absolutely sure that using the transponder key will not somehow jack up the remote keyss and cause them to not open doors, etc.

Has anyone done this?

I say just in case because one of my remotes got wet and now I get an occasional "Invalid Key" when I use it.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have an '06 XK? I didn't think the FOBIK key were available to later years.
This is a FOBIK key.

If you have a transponder key with a remote built into the key head, it looks like this.

No, transponder and FOBIK keys work on different technology. The transponder key wouldn't physically fit the key hole of the ignition anyway, let alone the module NOT being able to talk to the key or the transponder be programed for it in anyway.

If you have a true FOBIK, what you need is a POD key.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Repla...dge-/361183647142?hash=item54183915a6&vxp=mtr

The POD key has the RFID chip in it, like the FOBIK key, and it can be programmed for you vehicle and it will fit the ignition.

A spare key like a hide-a-key. Personally I don't like the idea of the FOBIK/XPDR key hanging off a magnet under the vehicle to get lost. The system is setup to only make so many key copies, like 7 or 8, and it won't make anymore. I get a cheap key made that is only capable of opening the door lock, put that in the hide-a-key under the car. Then I have a spare POD/simple XPR key in the back with the jack. So I loose the key, I use the hide-a-key to open the door and then get the more valuable POD/XPDR key hidden in the back that won't get lost.

#6 ·
Ok, you have an '06 so the self-programming feature works. So if you two valid keys, that aren't cloned, then you can program a third or more keys yourself with the first two. The grey keyhead without remote has a transponder chip in it.

Here's the thing, NOT all dodge/chrysler/jeep xpdr and fobik keys are NOT universal for all cars. You need to look up the part number for your particular jeep and make the one you order is for your specific jeep.

I just checked the ebay page you linked to and it said the key does NOT work with a 2006 Jeep Commander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.