Weathertech Mat vs Stock DvD player - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Weathertech Mat vs Stock DvD player

Disclaimer: this is my first post with pics so I apologize if I make a mess ;-)

I bought the weathertech digital fit mats… I give them an 8 out of ten rating and recommend them to anyone who wished they could have gotten their limited vehicle with rubber mats.

The mat for the middle seat is designed to fit a vehicle that does not have a DvD player in it. I didn’t want to cut out a chunk of my fairly expensive new mat so this it what I did instead:

The DvD player can be removed by just pulling hard. The bottom is hinged so pull firmly from the top half. I opened the lid and applied pressure with my right hand while pulling from the side with my left. I was conscious and careful not to break the lid off. Here are some picks of the mounts, may they add comfort to the act of yanking your car apart ;-):

This is the hinge at the bottom:

What holds it in place:

Full shot of the back of the DvD in case anyone was wondering:

Wiring harness map (I wonder if I can splice in RCA jacks for my iPhone here so I can hide the wires???):

Back to the mat…
I used a pair of diagonal cutters and put one ˝ inch slice that runs right along with the plastic molding on both sides; snip snip:

I then tucked the rubber inside the DvD molding as I remounted it. This is the outcome:

that's all! Not gold, but hey, thought I would post my little project ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Ya done good Spoon!

Good install, good post.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Nice job, Thanks for sharing your project.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I guess the only thing you lose is the ability to yank the mat out and hose it off, but you came up with a great solution.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Great project and thanks for sharing. I have to admit that at the first glance of your post title I was scratching my head. I looked at it as I do the usual "vs" titled post, thinking it was comparing one product to another. That said, I was not sure how to compare floor mats to a DVD player....I had a little laugh at myself after reading the first post.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Good Job. Using the connector code on the back of the DVD you can easily find the correct pins on the wiring connector to slide small female crimp on connectors for your IPoD audio inputs. From the top connector diagram it looks like pin 9 is for the right audio, pin 2 is for ground, and pin 3 is for the left audio channel. It looks like these are inputs and not outputs. The easiest way to check is to use a small speaker and see if you get an output from pin 12 and 11. If not then is is most probably inputs. You can make up a connector by taking one end off a RCA cable and using small female crimp connectors to connect at the DVD connector. The middle wire is signal and the outer sheild is the ground. Sorry if this sounds like I am being too basic with the instructions. Just trying to help.

Check out this thread, It will show you how to make up the RCA connectors. It is for a different use, but the connectors are the same.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...?t=8734&page=2

Check out this thread also:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...?t=8466&page=2

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 12-30-2009 at 10:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

HueyPilot,
I think I will give it a try... I've been noodling on your post a bit...

Trying to repeat what you wrote in my own words with my own flavor:
Cut the 9, 3, and 2 wires
Cut the two ends off an RCA extension cable leaving about 3-5 inches of wire on each side.
Female end goes to the Radio; Male to the DvD
Shielding of each wire is bound and crimped to the 2 wire (that's the shielding of both the red and the white go to the 2?)
Then then the inner Red goes to 9 and inner white to 3

Giving this us:
(dots preserve spacing)

R....W
| \ / |
|..|..|

I gotta write all this cause the two shieldings going to one ground doesn't make a lot of since to me (Ima newb) and I was just wanting to make sure I was understanding right.

If this is the case then...
I can rig this up on both sides (radio female and DVD male)
test with a splitter... if the sound quality gets compromised then I can easily remove it but having this setup I can always plug the DvD player back in...

Lemme know if I missed something here.
I got some research and reading to do.

Thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Points: 1,158, Level: 18 Points: 1,158, Level: 18 Points: 1,158, Level: 18
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Is there room under the DVD player to install a 12 volt power outlet through the plastic shroud for back seat use??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I think no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in