Firewall - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Firewall

I am going to install some auxiliary lighting on my vehicle and want to run the switch into the vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to enter the vehicle through the firewall? Will this location come through behind the dashboard that will require an extensive removal of the dash assembly?

Any help and/or photos you may have would be most helpful!

Thanks!

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.
Current Wish list: 4xGuard Front Skid Plate, Rear tire carrier?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

The best way IMO is to share an existing grommet to get threw. If that can't be done then you have to drill. Go on the inside and find a good spot then double check on the other side to make sure you have clearance and make a hole. Get rubber grommets to put in your hole and your done. I'm still in the planning stages so I snuck around threw the door using the seals and plastics to conceal my wires. I won't drill a hole until I have all my lights and wires and do it all at once. So make sure your planning a head for all the mods you plan on getting to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
At the risk of sounding like our "Search Meister" Jeep5253, if you would type in the word "firewall" in the search box you would get four pages of posts including this very appropriate one.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...light=firewall

Not busting your chops.....just showing how good the search function is. Besides it is rare that I beat Jeep5253 to the draw.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Points: 10,247, Level: 67 Points: 10,247, Level: 67 Points: 10,247, Level: 67
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 83k
Medical forceps come in handy for this. I have gone through an existing grommet and grabbed a wire to pull it. The locking feature is great for pushing a wire through a grommet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Points: 3,537, Level: 37 Points: 3,537, Level: 37 Points: 3,537, Level: 37
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

If you have a 5.7 hemi as your Sig suggests the point I took all my cables (1awg power, 4awg power 2x rg-58 and a few more) through was the existing grommet (the one indicated in post #4 of the link previously posted) for the throttle cable which is unused on the 5.7 hemi as its computer controlled.

Stone White '06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi
  • Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
  • Michelin LTX AT2 245/75R17

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I will refer to the previously listed post. My search engine appears to be broken, every time I type in a word in the forum search, I get crap. I prefer to clutter the Jeep Commander servers and waste everyone's time by starting a new thread instead.

I will post pics of the install when completed. Hopefully the dealer has the tow hook mounting plates that I ordered so I can mount my Matrix with hoop and PIAA lights tonight or tomorrow.

Also, it looks like the sticky thread on fascia removal has been destroyed as far as broken links to the pics. I will create a new thread for that for any newbies looking to tear down the front of their XK.

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

One more piece of clutter:

I pulled a copy of the Mopar auxiliary lighting instructions for some reference material. Did anyone else notice that one of their official instructions (step #23) that they actually show and suggest cutting a coat hanger to use for fishing the wire through?

I am surprised that they don't try to sell you P/N 10458965A (Mopar auxiliary lighting wiring puller thingy) instead of using a coat hanger.

Good stuff!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in