On-board Air Project - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

On-board Air Project

I have started to collect the items needed for this mod. I baught an air compressor kit from Harbor Freight similar to Cico7's. Also I aquired a tank from work for $$$$$FREE$$$$$, just got to see if it'll fit under the Jeep. If this tank does'nt fit, I will have to aquire more of a "tube" style tank. Now I just need to get some misc. items like the pressure switch, on/off switch, quick connects, and maybe a longer hose. I will have to mod the tank a bit, but no big deal.

My plan is to install the compressor inside the Jeep, just not sure where yet. I have a few ideas from seeing others' installs and will figure something out when the time comes.

Some might say it's an overkill mod for my Jeep 'cause of where I live (lack of trails/off roading). They say "Why", I say "Why Not". Plus, I plan on going on plenty of road trips and hitting different trails at the same time.

The main reason tho, is because I CAN!

Anyways, on to the pics...............

Stay tuned..........................

2006 Inferno Red Commander------RR 2.25" lift, Smoked corner lights, "Limited" Color-coded rear Grab Handles, Mopar hitch, Matrix w/hoop, "Jeep" driving lights, Rear Bumper lights, Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14et wheels, Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17
Future mods---- skids, Rage roof cargo basket, PIAA 525 auxiliary lights,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---- Click Here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Good project! I see you have a future mod for a roof rack. If you put your spare tire on the roof (or inside until you have a rack), then maybe you could put the tank where the spare normally goes. I have been considering doing that myself.

ETA: Or if you don't want to go with a roof rack cargo basket just yet, try mounting the spare directly to the utility cross rails. (See Ahmed's thread for that discussion).

Edit Again: I see on another thread that you apparently already have a roof rack.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.

Last edited by GPintheMitten; 01-26-2011 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
Good project! I see you have a future mod for a roof rack. If you put your spare tire on the roof (or inside until you have a rack), then maybe you could put the tank where the spare normally goes. I have been considering doing that myself.
Great Minds......I was thinking the same thing!
What about mounting the pump on the right side behind the plastic molding.
On the thread about regarding the Sirius receiver is a pic....I'll import it....
The goal is to use the pump to fill the tank and keep it pressurised?

Have you ever gone wheeling in the swamps? Wouldnt that be a good place
to go? Go hang out with Horatio and the gang.

BTW..Anyone watch Hawaii 50? See the Commander last week?

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post

ETA: Or if you don't want to go with a roof rack cargo basket just yet, try mounting the spare directly to the utility cross rails. (See Ahmed's thread for that discussion).

Edit Again: I see on another thread that you apparently already have a roof rack.
Yes, I have a basket that will me modded as well, but that's another project. LOL!!! I don't think I want to mount the spare on the basket 'cause my goal is to still fit into the parking garage at work. If I don't clear with the basket, then I'll have no issues mounting the spare up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Great Minds......I was thinking the same thing!
What about mounting the pump on the right side behind the plastic molding.
On the thread about regarding the Sirius receiver is a pic....I'll import it....
The goal is to use the pump to fill the tank and keep it pressurised?

Have you ever gone wheeling in the swamps? Wouldnt that be a good place
to go? Go hang out with Horatio and the gang.

BTW..Anyone watch Hawaii 50? See the Commander last week?
I like that side molding idea but, was considering mounting an inverter in that spot (another project, LOL). I forget who installed thier pump under the compartment where the jack is, but I like that "out-of-site" idea.

The tank is for more volume. More volume will let me air up faster and it should save wear and tear on the pump.

No wheeling in the swamps, they are way to mushy/slushy for my taste. Actually I have an issue even going mudding, the clean up sucks! I'd rather dry wheel any day. (now you guys will probably make me go through a mud pit at East Coast Camp Commander, D'Oh!)

2006 Inferno Red Commander------RR 2.25" lift, Smoked corner lights, "Limited" Color-coded rear Grab Handles, Mopar hitch, Matrix w/hoop, "Jeep" driving lights, Rear Bumper lights, Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14et wheels, Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17

<---- Click Here

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I just discovered what might be the ultimate "On board Air" package and I did not even know that I had it. I just watched the DVD that came with my Country Coach Motorhome and it showed me three air line hookups under the front bumper on the driver's side. These three connections each have shut offs and are all the standard 3/8 inch threaded female ports. I put quick disconnects on them for three air lines. I got a 50 foot Goodyear airline and I already had a couple of less expensive airlines for my portable compressor. The compressor on the coach is very powerful. It fills both the primary and backup air tanks in about 15 secconds after starting the diesel engine. It will also lift about 25 tons or 50,000 pounds several inches up within 30 seconds of starting. I do not know the constant flow rate but I do know that both air pressure guages stay at about 120 psi all the time. I think that this will come in very handy as a base camp air supply with three hoses. It should also provide plenty of air for air tools.

Here is a picture of the coach. I will take pictures of the air connections tomorrow in the daylight.

I guess I might have to put a coin operated timer on it...... Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Here is a couple of pictures of the air connections under the front left of my Motor Home. I put quick disconnects in the three air ports so that I did not have to screw in the male end of the air line every time I wanted to use it. I aired up a flat tire in about 30 seconds using the hose today.

with one air hose connected

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
See, Huey has air to spare.

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Project on Hold

I have scrapped this idea for now. The tank will not fit anywhere except where the spare goes and I still have the spare in that spot. So, until I have time to find a long skinny tank that will fit somewhere else out of the way, this project is on hold......

Huey, that's an awesome set-up on your RV!

<---- Click Here

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

I understand the reasoning behind the tank but for as little as you're going to use the air you dont need to have a tank. That compressor is a nice thing to have though, you never know when you may need it.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Model year: 2009
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
Just mount the compressor with a quick disconnect for now - you could always mount a tank later when you find a place for it. You may decide you don't need it.

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in