Why you need to carry a 41" long 2x6 in your Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Why you need to carry a 41" long 2x6 in your Commander

Indeed why?
Well, because 2x4 would not do the job. But serious... why?
When the 3rd seat is down (and it's always down as it has no practical application whatsoever except for taking valuable room) there is an 1.5" gap between the back of the seat and the lift gate. All your shopping loves to go there and once there, it stays there, especially the glass bottles. After the first glorious experience when to my horror and neigbors' amazement my shopping went flying out the car (bottles first of course) all over the driveway once the lift gate was open, I stopped opening the liftgate altogether unless I look inside and unjam everything out of that 1.5" hole. I tried to use only glass but sometimes you just have to use the liftgate, especially when the objects are bigger and heavier.

Soon I came up with solution. I cut a piece of 41" long 2"X6" board and stuck it in between the back of the seat and the lift gate. The wood stays in place and stuff cannot go past the board. It's fixed.

This car was designed by real goofs who deserve a nice whack over their heads with this 2x6. It must have had no practical testing before releasing it to the public. After a few months of owning it I predicted they will stop production in a few years as this car is contradiction in terms (my main unanswered complain still remains grossly undersized gas tank). I was right - 2009 model year will be the last. This will have a delightful effect on the value of this beautiful car. 'nuff said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Points: 1,764, Level: 24 Points: 1,764, Level: 24 Points: 1,764, Level: 24
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

Re: Why you need to carry a 41" long 2x6 in your Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Indeed why?
Well, because 2x4 would not do the job. But serious... why?
When the 3rd seat is down (and it's always down as it has no practical application whatsoever except for taking valuable room) there is an 1.5" gap between the back of the seat and the lift gate. All your shopping loves to go there and once there, it stays there, especially the glass bottles. After the first glorious experience when to my horror and neigbors' amazement my shopping went flying out the car (bottles first of course) all over the driveway once the lift gate was open, I stopped opening the liftgate altogether unless I look inside and unjam everything out of that 1.5" hole. I tried to use only glass but sometimes you just have to use the liftgate, especially when the objects are bigger and heavier.

Soon I came up with solution. I cut a piece of 41" long 2"X6" board and stuck it in between the back of the seat and the lift gate. The wood stays in place and stuff cannot go past the board. It's fixed.

This car was designed by real goofs who deserve a nice whack over their heads with this 2x6. It must have had no practical testing before releasing it to the public. After a few months of owning it I predicted they will stop production in a few years as this car is contradiction in terms (my main unanswered complain still remains grossly undersized gas tank). I was right - 2009 model year will be the last. This will have a delightful effect on the value of this beautiful car. 'nuff said.
well i'm sure you know there's a button on the right of the hatch handle allowing you to just open the glass??? it's a new concept that helps stuff from falling out of the back.... also at the back of the commanders 3rd seat you have the option of un clipping the tray and flipping it over giving you a flush floor,,,,, I've never seen you make one post not complaining and it's rather annoying.... why waste your time? it seems nothing on the commander is up to your approval beit seating, windsheild view or likewise,,,, what kind of informed shopper are you?
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Points: 1,722, Level: 24 Points: 1,722, Level: 24 Points: 1,722, Level: 24
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

I just use the cargo net as is is better looking than a 2X6 but what ever works I guess is good! I love my Commander and wouldn't trade it for anything!

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Points: 2,643, Level: 31 Points: 2,643, Level: 31 Points: 2,643, Level: 31
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I thought it was going to be to help get out of the mud when you dont have 4 wheel drive
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

I had the same issue of bottles and stuff rolling out of the back upon opening the liftgate. I also use a cargo net as a barrier to keep items from jumping out.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Mikey, hate to tell you this but the 2009 rumor is just that... a rumor. Until it comes from DCX (not UAW or JD Power (since when did a customer satisfaction company start deciding what vehicles would be built??)) then it is just a rumor.

UAW also rumored that the 2-door JK wouldn't be produced and they were wrong.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Seriously, Mikey should get his own TV show, a sitcom about a guy who had a wonderfull life until he bought a Commander, then it all went to hell. My favorite episode would be the one where Mikey goes to the proctologist, and he finds a 41" stick...
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktek01
Seriously, Mikey should get his own TV show, a sitcom about a guy who had a wonderfull life until he bought a Commander, then it all went to hell. My favorite episode would be the one where Mikey goes to the proctologist, and he finds a 41" stick...
Dont stop now...it is just getting good!!!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty2003
.... also at the back of the commanders 3rd seat you have the option of un clipping the tray and flipping it over giving you a flush floor... ...what kind of informed shopper are you?
I keep the rear tray in the "upside down" position - where it creates a well... and position it so that the high lip side is closest to the rear.. I have never had anything fall out when not using the cargo net.

As for as an informed shopper - I'd say someone (not mentioning Mikey's name ) did no research, no test drives and gave no forthought to whether or not he could afford to get out of the XK if he did not like it.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

HemiCommander - I am with you. I simply put all the bottles, laundry soap etc. in the tray and the rest of my groceries and stuff behind it and no problems at all. If the kids are with me I place it in another area of the vehicle. If you placed anything in the rear of any suv or mini van without a cargo net or tray you would always have the possibility of it falling out after you drive home from the store, especially if you park on a hill or slope where the rear is downward. That has been the case with all the SUV's and the town and country I have owned. This will even happen with a pickup if you do not secure the cargo prior to opening the tailgate. I dont know about the rest of you but I have never had seven passengers in my Commander where all of the seating/floor area was taken. I would certainly never have seven passengers with me to go shopping or to pick up supplies to begin with especially knowing the cargo area would be limited if I did. Why? Because I would have sense enough to know I would not be able to fit the items I was buying into the Commander if it was full of passengers. I knew the limits of the cargo area with all three rows in use when I test drove and gave the Commander a full looking into prior to buying it.

There will always be buyers who after purchase find reasons why they do not like their vehicle. Complaints about reliability and service issues are always valid but complaints about gas tank size, color, seating, cargo capacity, fit, trim etc. are usually from the buyers who saw a pretty paint color they liked and felt the stereo sounded good so they drove it without bothering to see if this really did fit what they were looking for or was a good vehicle for their particular lifesytyle and would meet their needs.

Mickey - Ever think your neighbors were amazed at you for even thinking this would not happen and why in the world you would stuff all of those things in there in the first place and NOT expect them to fall around your feet when you open the rear gate?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in