middle row - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question middle row

I have read previous discussions about removing the middle seat in the middle row, but has anyone removed the seat back and/or bottom without removing the whole row. Is it possible to just remove both parts to install a box?
I want to put a cooler/fridge in it's place and I am not sure how to remove it in a 40/20/40 without removing the whole row. Help????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

not trying to be a smart ass but I would think you could remove the whole row and cut the frame out in the middle. Then mount the two side seats back in. I would look into getting a donor seat row from a salvage yard to experiment on.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Question good idea and another question

Your not being a SA... Good idea.

Debating on going to the salvage yard tomorrow or just removing the whole thing since the kiddos sit in the rear seat anyway. Only problem is now I want to experiment and see what I can come up with. May hit the salvage yard either way.

Another question..

Checked Smitty (they don't) but does anyone know if there is replacement seat that has a lower back for the rear? Removed the headrest and bars, but still wanna see a little more.

May have to check the salvage yard and see what I can do with taking the whole thing apart, modifying it, and recovering it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Bit of bad news for you; middle seat on the middle row would be near impossible to extract by itself. The seat back may be able to be removed, but the bottom portion is integrated onto a bench-type assembly that the outer seats rely on. Unless you plan on some serious fabrication, I would look into mounting a cooler elsewhere, like in the driver's console.

As for modifying the third row, There's a picture on my Facebook page that shows the seat with the skin off. It's pretty much just a stamped steel backplate and foam, but I think you may be limited to what you can trim off by the latch mechanism that holds the seat up while driving, or in the event of a crash. Would be cool if someone could engineer fold-flat jump seats to go back there.

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

We use to have a jeep dealership and I have some guys who I might give a call. Between the guys at Corbeau and the ones on our racing team, someone has to be able to do it. Wonder if anyone has seen one anywhere? Just a shorter safari bench or something with a vintage style and a tubular steel frame that can be popped out instead of folding. Wish I still managed a service department, I'd have the guys working on it tonight.
Liked the pics, heated second row seats...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Tags
cushion , middle row , middle seat , removed , seat back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in