Rear View Mirror - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rear View Mirror

I'm looking at replacing my rear view mirror with an auto-dimming/homelink one, Gentex 50-GENK40.

Has anyone removed the rear view mirror in their Commander? If so what's the procedure and do you have any tips?

(last time I messed with one was ages ago when they just sat in a metal thingy glued to the windshield. All you had to do was slide it upwards to remove)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Re: Rear View Mirror

Have not removed the JC mirrow, but the last remote mirror I replaced you had to remove the door pannel pretty straight forward from there. The trick will be does the replacement match the hole pattern of the OEM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

I think he was talking about the rear-view mirror, not the door mirrors.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
I think he was talking about the rear-view mirror, not the door mirrors.
Correct. The one depending from the ceiling console. I looked at it but can't really tell how it comes off.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Points: 1,768, Level: 24 Points: 1,768, Level: 24 Points: 1,768, Level: 24
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I don't know about the dimming rear view mirrors. Isn't the height of the Commander tall enough where you don't need dimming mirrors? Only way I can see it's use is if you have a semi truck behind you. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander24
I don't know about the dimming rear view mirrors. Isn't the height of the Commander tall enough where you don't need dimming mirrors? Only way I can see it's use is if you have a semi truck behind you. Just my opinion.
No, believe me the dimming mirrors are well worth it.

If you run with the rear seat down a lot of headlights can still shine directly into your rear view mirror. Especially here in this land of lifted Super Duty trucks.

I am definitely glad that I have the autodimming mirrors and wish my Cherokee had them to.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

The limited comes with electro-chromatic auto dim rear view and driver side mirrors. There are a couple of flaws (IMO) in the design...
- The driver side mirror is controlled by the rear view mirror sensor.
- The rear seats do interrfer with the operation of the auto-dim feature if the head rest are up. Also you need to have mirror adjusted just right or the sensor still does not function correctly.

Sometimes I think engineers should have to use what they create - then we may actually have functions that live in the real world!

Limited - Midnight Blue
5.7L HEMI 4x4 Chrome
Nav.System, Loaded
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

commander24 - The auto-dimming is sort of a value add. The homelink is what I'm really after. I have not priced the OEM homelink transmitter, but somehow doubt it would come in under $200 like the mirror. Haven't found it on the web so it looks like something I'd have to buy from the stealership.

rubicontrail - here in Georgia there are plenty of vehicles that dwarf the Commander. And the drivers of those vehicles are oddly prone to tailgating.

On a side note to that, I was in line for a traffic light this morning and thought I was pretty much right on the bumper of the car in front of me. When I looked over to admire the lines of the Commander in an adjacent shop window, I realized that I was actually a polite 6 - 8 feet back. So one would think having a tall vehicle with squared-off front end would naturally reduce the tailgating tendency. Those guys with the superduty trucks must think they are pushing me in front of them rather than following me. :-)

Still no ideas on removing the mirror? It didn't look like the kind of thing one could remove by just monkeying with it without a good risk of breaking or gimping something.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

I will just add:
When the "stereo peeps" were installing my remote radar head unit in the little trough in the rear view mirror unit, they had to get Jeep fax a breakdown of how to get the mirror unit out.

These are pretty smart guys too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Points: 1,280, Level: 19 Points: 1,280, Level: 19 Points: 1,280, Level: 19
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Question Re: Rear View Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjones
I'm looking at replacing my rear view mirror with an auto-dimming/homelink one, Gentex 50-GENK40.

Has anyone removed the rear view mirror in their Commander? If so what's the procedure and do you have any tips?

(last time I messed with one was ages ago when they just sat in a metal thingy glued to the windshield. All you had to do was slide it upwards to remove)
I don't think that the Homelink has anything to do with the rear view mirror. The Homelink is in the overhead console. Don't all JC's have it?
There is an auto dimmer feature as an option. UConnect hands free is another rear view mirror option.
Maybe I'm mis-reading this, but if homelink is what your after, what does that have to do with the mirror?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in