Aftermarket DVD player? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Please help a noob add a DVD monitor

Hi, I just bought a 08 limited and came across this site looking for a way to add a rear DVD monitor. The current HU is the REN mygig, and I was wanting to add a rear monitor that is integrated into the factory DVD system. I checked the dealership and they wanted approx $1500 for a plug n play setup. There is no way that I will pay that much. Is there a way that I can hook up an aftermarket screen to the HU to display what the factory dvd player is playing? If so can the rear passengers listen to the movie using wireless headphones while the front seat passengers listen to the radio?

Another option that I thought about is an all-in-one dvd/screen unit. If I go that route, can I plug the audio into the factory REN HU? Is there an adaptor needed for this?

Thanks in advance.
Victor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I purchased the $1500.00 unit on eBay for $200 and installed it myself.

There are many great aftermarket units that I have seen since then and if you can make it work through the current HU then that wold be great. You can purchase the wire harness from jeep and then splice into the aftermarket monitors in your headreasts or roof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Alright, I think I decided to go with an aftermarket player/monitor unit, but I would like to plug the unit's audio out into the aux input on the factory HU. I know that there is a small input jack on the face of the HU for ipods and such, but I don't want to use that one.

What kind of input jacks can I expect to see on the rear of this HU? Will it be factory only plugs or is there a chance there will be some RCAs? If I have to I will use a modulator.

Thanks again

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Aftermarket DVD player?

Hey, folks. I haven't posted in a long time, which means I'm thoroughly enjoying my Commander and have had very few problems.

But I think I need some help now. My in-laws gave me an aftermarket DVD player (Panasonic CY-VHD9401U) for Christmas. It's a wonderful gift, really, and my son's eyes lit up like fire when he realized he'd be able to play Guitar Hero in the back seat.

Thing is, I have the factory sunroof. Has anybody else tackled this situation? The unit is quite big (9" screen, etc.) I'd love to use it, but need more info before taking on the project.

I did a search for this info, and did not find anything, but I apologize if this has been covered before.

As always, I appreciate any guidance and thank you in advance.

Happy New Year to you all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Id give someplace like Circuit City, or Best Buy a call to see if its possible - I went with a pair of headrest DVD/monitors in my JC and the daughter loves them. I would think the drop down unit like you have will further hinder an already limited rear view IMHO.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Points: 3,937, Level: 39 Points: 3,937, Level: 39 Points: 3,937, Level: 39
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Glad you're liking your Jeep! But, just because you're not having problems, doesn't mean you can't come and visit!

Do a search in the forum, this has been brought up a few times.

I had mine installed at a local ship between the two rear sunroofs (just after the slope), so the monitor isn't too close to the person viewing. The installer simply said after removing the headliner and sunroof trim, he installed a piece of wood wrapped with a towel. Wood for stability and strength - towel for soundproofing.

It's the best $1000 bucks I've spent. That included the monitor/dvd player, two wireless headsets, installation and all other wires needed for the job.

I would never tackle it myself, but if I took it to a Futureshop or Circuit City, I'd make sure to have someone with lots of experience do it, so they don't ruin your headliner, trim etc., and you have a professional looking finish.

Here's a pic of mine from the back (not the closest pic, but it works).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

If you're mechanically inclined it wouldn't be too hard to do. Search is your friend:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...hlight=sunroof
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Terrific information, as always. Thanks, everybody! I'll snap some pictures and post later to let everybody know how the project goes.

Again, Happy New Year to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in