'06 Sport, 4.7 2WD Interior Upgrade Options? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Interior Appearance Modifications Discuss interior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

'06 Sport, 4.7 2WD Interior Upgrade Options?

Looking at buying an '06 Sport, basically stripped down except for the auto dimming rear view mirror and 4.7. What options can I add to this? Getting it at a fair price, and it's almost $8K cheaper then the Overland we were looking at. What I want to add are: REC radio with steering wheel controls, leather seats (going the Katskin route), backup camera, possibly the DVD entertainment system (might go aftermarket for this), and, depending what all is involved, power liftgate, and rear A/C. I've done many upgrades like this to my wife's WJ, and many of the options were prewired for in the main harness. I need to find out how much I can do that is plug n play. I've already come across the REC/steering wheel control upgrade, so I know that's doable. The main thing that I think it should have is the backup camera, as you can't really see out the back with the 3rd row up. I did do alot of reading last night, hence how I came across the REC upgrade. I wish WKJeeps was set up like WJJeeps, in that it had what could be upgraded to what trim level. I'm not looking at building an Overland out of a Sport, I just want some of the features of the Overland and or Limited. Thanks!!

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
...I've already come across the REC/steering wheel control upgrade, so I know that's doable....
I'd like to see that, I would think it would be very expensive for the OEM parts you'd have to swap out.

My guess:
New Steering Wheel
New Clock Spring
New Steering Wheel Control Unit
Etc.

As well as the radio.

(Am I wrong? All commanders come with the Clock Spring and SWCU for Steering Wheel control of the radio, you just have to add buttons and new covers for the buttons?)

Individually those parts are very expensive, I'd think aftermarket would be the way to go for all of it. They make aftermarket steering wheel controls but they obviously are NOT as good as the OEM built into the steering wheel itself.

And another thing to keep in mind, many new electronic modules coming from the dealer, come disabled and can only be enabled by the dealer's wiTech tool after they are installed. Meaning you'd have to go back to the dealer and pay them to enable all the new modules you install. Often, if they are used, they will plug and play (because they were enabled to be used).

A junkyard donor car might be viable, it usually is the most viable option for adding options the vehicle didn't get at the factory. But most junkyards are charging so much now a days, it still might be prohibitively expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

The article about the REC/ steering wheel control swap is in this forum. I don't have the link handy at the moment, tho. I agree, if I bought all of these upgrade pieces from the dealer, it would be ridiculously expensive. When I did the WJ, almost all of the parts where junkyard or ebay-bought parts. I believe this stuff could be done, just not sure about the wiring side.

Jerry

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Interior Appearance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in