Jeep Commander Forum banner

Commander in Saudi Sand dunes

44K views 357 replies 72 participants last post by  jbracefan1977 
#1 ·
These are two videos for my commander driving in soft sand dunes in Saudi Arabia

(links are in the attached text file since I can't post URLs to other sites till I have made 4 posts or more)

Jeep Commander 2007
Sport 4.7L, QTII

Attachments

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Looks like the XK handled pretty good stock. Did you have to air down any?

#5 ·
Looks like fun, sounded windy up there.

#6 ·
Cool! That looks like a LOT of fun to drive in. I don't think that I could afford the gas to drive all the way to Saudi Arabia, though. I guess that I will just have to enjoy your vid. :D
-Hemi

#7 ·
CrzCajun said:
Looks like the XK handled pretty good stock. Did you have to air down any?
The sand over here is very soft and dry, and letting the air down is essential otherwise I would have easily get stuck or it would have been very difficult to drive through. The air pressure in both vids were around 17 psi. Also the ESP was in full off and only using 1st or 2nd gears.

I gave it a try couple of times to drive in such sand without letting the air down, and it was very heavy movement like something pulling you backwards.

My commander has QT-II, Do you think QD-II would make a lot of difference in such situations?

#8 ·
Another video

Another video

Attachments

#10 ·
I drove my Xterra on the beach @ the Outer Banks, NC. I was never able to get all of that damn sand out of everything, even after 5 years I would come across sand in some spots.

#11 ·
Looks like a blast. Thanks for posting the vids.

#12 ·
Been in Sand Dunes driving course (pics)

I have been in a Sand Dunes driving course last weekend, here are some pics.

#13 ·
Stuck

And eventually stuck !!! :cool:

#15 ·
cico7 said:
ahmed255 - These are amazing pictures! absolutely amazing! Did you dig out or get pulled out?
I would never do this alone. My friend was with me driving his car and he pulled me from the front. I just was a bit slow, just little faster would have been enough to flip over and slide down.

I also have Air-Jack which might help in such situation if I put it under the rear differential.

#16 ·
Those are some nice pics. Do you have any tips for us?

#17 ·
nice pics, looks fun.......

#18 ·
thats cool!....looks like you are miles from anywhere.........so is the desert sand hard on the vehicles. i have heard its wears more....

#20 ·
Good job with the camera.

#21 ·
Good pictures, what was the temperature out there?

#23 ·
Cool pics...I mean HOT pics:)

#25 ·
Great pics! I wish we had some dunes here... somewhere...

#26 ·
CrzCajun said:
Those are some nice pics. Do you have any tips for us?
Rule 1: Deflate your tires. 18 lbs should suffice. This increases your contact patch, by extending the amount of tyre in touch with the sand, and helps you “float” on the sand.

Rule 2: Stop carefully. Try to roll to an as gentle a stop as possible. Do not slam on your brakes. Whenever possible, stop pointing downhill. That little extra pull of gravity can keep you from bogging down.

Rule 3: Make fresh tracks. New sand offers more support than churned-up sand.

ESP must be in Full off mode, otherwise you might get stuck. Only the Traction control keeps working and that really helps, I even feel its effect when I hear its sound, like something pushing the car.

you can read the text below which is a summary from the note that was distributed to us in the course.

Ascent
This technique is for crossing dunes. The rule is to approach the dune straight on at a 90 degree angle. Pay attention to the angle of approach (where the level desert floor meets the foot of the dune– too steep and it will be like running into a wall). You should climb the dune at a steady pace (don’t change gears halfway up), easing off the gas just as you crest the dune, allowing your momentum to carry you over. This will keep you from going airborne and nose-diving into the desert on the far side of the dune. Nose-diving will seriously damage your 4x4 and probably injure you. It is to be avoided at all cost! Depending on the horsepower of your truck, you may be able to climb quite steep or long dunes.
Cresting
Ideally, you will just coast over the top of the dune, using your momentum to tip your nose over the edge enough for gravity to take over on the descent. Too little speed and you will bottom out on the crest of the dune. Too much speed and you will launch into space with possibly disastrous results.

It will take several tries (dozens?), before you get the speed/angle combination just right. Even experienced dune busters get stranded while cresting dunes. Its part of the fun…

If you get stuck on the crest, you will need to be pulled down, either forwards or backwards depending on the lay of the land. Digging and sandladders are of little use, as your suspension will be hanging down with virtually no weight on the tires. An air jack under the rear axle can sometimes tip you over the crest.
Descent
Having driven up the dune, you are now committed to going down the other side.

You will have a moment of panic (ecstasy?) as you crest the dune, because all you will see is sky. Then, as the vehicle weight transfers to the front wheels again, you will begin your descent. Make sure you are going down the dune at a 90 degree angle to the slope – correct gently as needed, as it takes sometime for change to occur in sand and it is easy to over-steer.

With the truck in first gear, take your foot off the gas and let the truck idle down the dune. Be prepared to brake very gently if you start picking up speed. Do not accelerate. Always control your (slow!) speed.

The sand will form a “bow wave” in front of your vehicle, slowing you to a consistent speed, In fact, if you brake to a gentle stop in mid-descent, your 4x4 will just sit there…

Do not try to radically change direction while you are descending. This may cause you to slew and roll.

If you are unsure of the “lay” of the dune face you will descend, get out of the truck, climb up the dune and check it out: choose the path and angle of ascent, the point where you will crest. These will pretty much determine where you will descend.
Pay attention to the angle of departure (where your truck transitions from the nose-down descent position to level driving). A steep angle can cause you to actually run nose first into the desert floor, and/or drag your bumper, possibly damaging it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.