Jeep Commander Forum banner

extended brake lines

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kmax 
#1 ·
Are they available for the XK?

One thing I noticed while putting the rear portion of my lift kit in last night is that, if given longer shocks and/or disconnected swaybar, those brake lines would blow in a heartbeat.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
SKYJACKER.....I've checked their site and all they showed was JK lines but give them a call or search other web-sites who are distributors and sell Skyjacker.

About the lines, not only are the lines steel braided, but coated w/ a layer of some sort silicone that's pretty heavy duty. They've been put to the test on the TJ getting squished between the tire and lower control arm while flexing and driving w/ no problems.

#4 ·
Sciron4x4-
I looked at the same issue after my 2.25" lift. At full flex (tire off the ground) with the rear axle, the brake line in it's stock location is barely slack. The new shocks have more extension in them, but the axle hangs on the stabilizer bar. I would love to disconnect that bar for my day-long off-road trips but the brake lines wouldn't take it. I've talked to my dealer and they've told me they can make brake lines to any length. I'm entertaining the idea of having them make new brake lines so I can eak out the most possible flex from that rear axle. The Commander can use all the flex it can get! I suppose with some research, you could figure out if any other Jeep models use the same line ends as the Commander and then just pick the length you need, if you don't want something custom made.

#5 ·
Ken: I'm going to be trying to finish up the lift later after lunch, and will take a closer look at the connections. There's also a local shop around here that will make custom brake lines (stainless, at that) for pretty cheap. So I'm entertaining that idea, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.