"Superwhite" or blue bulbs - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

"Superwhite" or blue bulbs

I have been doing some research on lighting and came across this info. Very interesting...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

Take it or leave it.

Last edited by brendon; 01-11-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

I wanted to read those articles but they're just too long to keep me reading that long. I'll read up what other people have to say here. I might be getting these types of bulbs one of these days so I'm interesting in what you all have to say.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Basically he says they're bad (mostly, there are a couple that are ok according to him) and all his assertions are backed up pretty well. He is very verbose but there is lots of great info on his website. It's been a slow day so I have had time to read all the pages there.

Paraphrasing:
They produce a "desirable" color that actually increases glare and reduces bulb life and useable intensity due to the color filter used to obtain the appearance. Avoid any of the bulbs that have tinted glass.

He also has strong arguments against HID "upgrade" kits, which is what I was actually looking into doing. Not any more.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
He also has strong arguments against HID "upgrade" kits, which is what I was actually looking into doing. Not any more.
I don't know what the guy is talking about...I LOVE my HIDs Do they produce glare? Absolutely, but man do they light up the road. Also, mine are a very deep blue, which decreases the light intensity (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I've been told). So, if you want super bright white lights, deffinetely go with an HID upgrade kit. Just be ready to get high-beams flashed at you by oncoming drivers lol.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

The guy is right... but he's talking light bulbs, NOT genuine HID's. I have two sets of HID's on the XK, and they're arc lamps - there is NO FILAMENT inside the bulb. The blueish color comes from the electric arc itself, and depends somewhat on the ballast supplying the arc as to their color output.

The best for night driving is 6,000 degrees Kelvin, which gives it a nice daylight output. You see 8000K to 10,000K all the time on converted vehicles, which does have the ''cool looking'' blue, but the higher the K number, the less they work in the real world of driving. The show-car purple is 12,000K to 15,000K. There's also 4,000K or 5,000K HID's which look more like halogens, but are still much better for night driving.

The PIAA's etc. are nice (albeit overpriced) bulbs, but are overpowered and then cut it back somewhat with the blue tint. They'd be illegal without the tint because of too much output. The idea is to give them an "HID look" without the HID installation hassle and price.

The problem: Blue tinted bulbs, or any bulb for that matter, lack the ultra wide spectral output, so they're never going to come remotely close to a true HID. Real HID's have an extremely broad light spectrum, so everything ''pops out'' from the road, whether it's wet or dry.

I think Silver Stars are the best because they are brighter and lack the light-cutting blue tinting. There's some purplish filtering like a camera lens to help it's output. But, they're still a long ways from a true HID.

Last edited by Adondo; 01-12-2010 at 02:23 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

I bought the Silver Stars before for another vehicle and loved the white color of the light and the output. However, they only lasted a year. So I bought another pair thinking I let too much moisture inside the headlight. Then 9 months later this pair went out too.

Do not buy Silver Stars. Yes, they are bright, but they do not last. This is caused by the filament inside overheating. The only way for a halogen light bulb to be brighter is making the filament inside hotter which decreases the life expectancy of the bulb.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I have had a few friends complain about the life span of the Sylvania Silverstars. They are overdriven so that when the tint is put on it is "cut-back" to the appropriate lumen output. In other words they have to overdrive them to compensate for the reduction in output due to the color filter.

As for the HID lights (talked about elsewhere on that website) most upgrade kits have you putting them in the reflector/lens assembly designed for the halogen bulb. The different shape of the actual light (the arc vs. glowing filament) requires a differnet design on the reflector and lens. This is why I will not put them in for high/low beam. I am still considering HID for the fogs though.

My wife's car has factory BiXenon headlamps and the design is visibly different in the way the bulb even interacts with the reflector compared to the halogen headlamps in my other vehicles.

YMMV
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170000
Garage
I've had the Silverstar Ultras for about a year now, still kicking, and still very bright/white. And the visibility is ridiculously improved over standard bulbs.

2007 Commander Sport 3.7L V6 QT1
18x9 Fuel Couplers -12 offset
285/60/18 Toyo Open Country A/Ts
Rough Country 2" Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CommanderFan; 01-12-2010 at 11:09 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
As for the HID lights (talked about elsewhere on that website) most upgrade kits have you putting them in the reflector/lens assembly designed for the halogen bulb. The different shape of the actual light (the arc vs. glowing filament) requires a differnet design on the reflector and lens. This is why I will not put them in for high/low beam. I am still considering HID for the fogs though.

My wife's car has factory BiXenon headlamps and the design is visibly different in the way the bulb even interacts with the reflector compared to the halogen headlamps in my other vehicles.
YMMV
I've tried 'em in the headlights position. You'll run people off the road. The HID's do work good on the fog position though, and I've run mine for months with no problems. Something about the XK's headlight design, bulb shield notwithstanding, just scatters horrifying amounts of side spill. I couldn't go anywhere without 9 out of 10 cars flashing their brights. (Car 10 was in the ditch. )

Funny that the fog lights don't have a bulb shield, yet they seldom seem to bother anyone. I set the main beam to hit about 40 feet out is all, but the reduced side scatter still (flamingly) lights road signs from 500 feet away. I can see a black cat about to run across, and things like that are all but invisible to bulb lights.

In fact, my only problem with HID's is when I ride in someone else's (oridinary bulb headlights) vehicle. I sit there wondering "how the Sam Hill can you see anything?!?" To me, the road ahead looks candle lit without HID's.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
I've tried 'em in the headlights position. You'll run people off the road. The HID's do work good on the fog position though, and I've run mine for months with no problems. Something about the XK's headlight design, bulb shield notwithstanding, just scatters horrifying amounts of side spill. I couldn't go anywhere without 9 out of 10 cars flashing their brights. (Car 10 was in the ditch. )

Funny that the fog lights don't have a bulb shield, yet they seldom seem to bother anyone. I set the main beam to hit about 40 feet out is all, but the reduced side scatter still (flamingly) lights road signs from 500 feet away. I can see a black cat about to run across, and things like that are all but invisible to bulb lights.

In fact, my only problem with HID's is when I ride in someone else's (oridinary bulb headlights) vehicle. I sit there wondering "how the Sam Hill can you see anything?!?" To me, the road ahead looks candle lit without HID's.
In that same vein, I never get "flashed", which surprises me, because I *know* I gotta be bright as hell comin' at someone. If I pull up beside a car in the lane next to me with factory bulbs, it's almost funny how much more light I put off... my lighted area easily extends twice as far as theirs. I feel like I'm lighting the road ahead for them. They could just turn there's off and save some bulb-life, as long as they stayed next to me, lol.

2007 Commander Sport 3.7L V6 QT1
18x9 Fuel Couplers -12 offset
285/60/18 Toyo Open Country A/Ts
Rough Country 2" Lift

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in