Powdercoating E&G Grill? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Powdercoating E&G Grill?

Hey everyone. Well I recently decided that I wanted to get my E&G Classics grill powder coated black to match my Jeep. The only problem is I can't decide whether to get the whole grill painted or just the mesh part (leaving the "border" chrome). I am still keeping the chrome "Limited" badge regardless, but just don't know which look would better fit the truck. I was wondering if anyone who is good with Photoshop wouldn't mind altering a photo of the Jeep with both looks (I am totally useless with Photoshop or else I would do it myself lol). Below is the generic picture of the Commander with the E&G grill if anyone is in the mood to fiddle with it. I would even be interested to hear people's suggestions even without a photo of both options. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Yioryosimo; 01-23-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Points: 8,275, Level: 61 Points: 8,275, Level: 61 Points: 8,275, Level: 61
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
I've been looking in the same idea you have as well. I was thinking about buying the DUB grill and powdercoat it black. After some research online about powdercoating I found out that powdercoating over chrome is very difficult. You might want to contact a powdercoater first and ask about the possibilities. Best posibility is probably to get the chrome completely removed from the grill followed by a complete powdercoat. It's pretty hard to mask the chrome border and not "damage" the chrome during the removal process (done in dipping the grill in chemical solutions to remove the chrome and surface treatment for powdercoating). Therefore I would go for a complete cover.

2007 4x4 Limited
5.7L Hemi

Mods:
2" OME lift
1/4" Rusty's strut plates
HD UCA's
K&N CAI
American Racing ATX Mojave wheels
Goodyear Duratrac 265/70 R17 tires
Mopar skid plates
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Man Yiory, it's like you read my mind on this project- what to coat and what to leave chrome! Now I really want you to do it, so I can see how good it looks!

My reasoning for coating the whole thing was to soften the somewhat rough edges on the grille with the thickness of the powdercoat.

But I think the chrome trim ring would make a nice accent too. My powdercoating shop said they could do it for $100, and no mention of any anticipated problems (based on the picture I sent them). And if there was an issue with an acid bath getting on the trim ring, I thought (from when I installed mine) that it looked like you could disassemble the grille into its component parts, leaving the mesh by itself for work.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see the progress!

PS: I'll try to squeeze in some PS time at school this week.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Jet
Points: 685, Level: 13 Points: 685, Level: 13 Points: 685, Level: 13
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas1230 View Post
But I think the chrome trim ring would make a nice accent too. My powdercoating shop said they could do it for $100, and no mention of any anticipated problems (based on the picture I sent them). And if there was an issue with an acid bath getting on the trim ring, I thought (from when I installed mine) that it looked like you could disassemble the grille into its component parts, leaving the mesh by itself for work.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see the progress!

PS: I'll try to squeeze in some PS time at school this week.
Don't forget about the PS! I am curious as to what the above PS'd grille would like on the Black Commander.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Don't forget about the PS! I am curious as to what the above PS'd grille would like on the Black Commander.
Didn't forget, just been a busy week back in class. Never made it to the computer lab for actual PSing, but to appease curious minds (mine included) I Paintbrushed a set. The image quality is pathetic, but the concept seems promising. Both remind me of the classic Toyota Land Cruisers, especially the one with the trim ring left chrome. Hope these can suffice for awhile!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1362-0104-06_fvc.JPG
Views:	2810
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	3141   Click image for larger version

Name:	1362-0104-06_fvd.JPG
Views:	3441
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3142  

Last edited by Kansas1230; 01-28-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: enlarged photos
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
It looks good, I would keep the chrome trim if I were doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Points: 4,828, Level: 44 Points: 4,828, Level: 44 Points: 4,828, Level: 44
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I think the all black with the limited just in chrome suits/ compliments the look you are going for much better. The grill with chrome border makes the border stand out even more. My vote is for the all black with just the limited untouched.

Last edited by Commander4Lyfe; 01-28-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Kansas, thanks for taking the time to edit the photo. After seeing both concepts, I think I may leave the chrome trim the way it is. I figure this would complement the few chrome pieces that exist on the truck (rear grab handles, Jeep decals) nicely. I also was planning on getting chrome nerf bars, so although the stock E&G grill is too much bling, I think the black mesh with the chrome trim will be perfect. I will definitely post pics when I get it painted. Too many projects, too little time (and money lol).

Last edited by Yioryosimo; 01-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 PM

No problem. I always enjoy a little time on the computer drafting images of possible Jeep projects! So much so that I did a couple more for this one. They're still not Photoshop, so there is no realistic reflections and whatnot, but the quality is at least a little more consistent. All in all I think this is going to be a great mod, either route. The trim left chrome looks a little more factory finish (aka GMC "Professional Grade"), but I think the full bleed would do a great job of rounding off the edges of E&G's simple lazer cut (those with the grile know what I'm talking about), enhancing both the quality of the grille and the up-close appearance of the Jeep. Interestingly I decided that for both options the emblem is a must- something that I don't care for when the grille is chrome, but really like once it's blacked out. Plus I'm going to add a chrome strip by the lower air dam to better tie that into the front end too.

One of the issues I want to be sure of on my own grille is how the color will compare to the factory paint. How close to specific paint codes can a powdercoating shop match? Could/should this project also be done by traditional painting at a body shop, etc? Also, I wondered about how much you might be able to see through the grille once the bright chrome is replaced by black. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yiory, I think you just need to take one for the team and get yours done for real. Then post some real pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood kit 088b.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	3147   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood kit 088c.JPG
Views:	3287
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	3148  

Last edited by Kansas1230; 01-30-2010 at 12:49 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas1230 View Post
Yiory, I think you just need to take one for the team and get yours done for real. Then post some real pics.
lol, unfortunately for me, I plan to. By the way, thanks for the new photos. From the angle of your recent pics, the all black is starting to look nicer than before. This just makes the decision making process that much harder . Now I am forced to factor in the fact that my turn signals are tinted black (making the all-black look seem a more logical choice). At the same time, if I add the lower chrome fascia to the front (btw if anyone has one available, feel free to send me a pm), I feel that the chrome trim will accent it nicely. Ahhhh decisions decisions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in